Newbies Go C-Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mastering the BUD

. . . and I don't believe the 410 has outputs to run the motor on your BUD.
Unlikely it can control the skew servo, either.
Really built to operate with a fixed-aimed dish.

You might have had better response if this thread had been in the BUD section of the forum.
If you choose to have it moved, just ask Iceberg.
Your choice.

As for learning about C-band, we have a FAQ over in the BUD department, and I recommend you familiarize yourself with it.
But if you are looking for one place to get a lot of info, let me recommend one special site: Geo-Orbit
May look a bit rustic, but it's got all the basics. :up

And don't be afraid to ask.
If you recall when you first arrived, the BUD guys encouraged you to consider that big dish out back!

I strongly suggest you read all you can stand, . . .
... then formulate a plan, . . .
... and then run it buy the BUD guys!
They'll catch any mistakes or oversights and guide you to a quicker solution.
Where there are options, they'll give you all sides.
Where there are pitfalls, they'll tell you how deep the hole is. :cool:

Last but not least, there may be a way to use that 410 down the road, but you need more sage advice.

. . . and I don't believe the 410 has outputs to run the motor on your BUD.
Unlikely it can control the skew servo, either.
Really built to operate with a fixed-aimed dish.

I think that's correct based on the info I can find on it. I don't see any skew control or output for an actuator. If it will work with C-Band (not sure which ones will, may have to contact someone like Skyvision for info. ) you'd have to hook up an old analog receiver to move the dish and control the skew. Probably not the most convenient way to do it.

Continuing this mess: Inno was right, this was the receiver that was misrepresented on eBay, and we fell for it. And Lak7's help was appreciated, the site he recommends is excellant for those wishing to buy programs for their 410. We will keep ours for future experiments. So Mommy jumped in and helped us out by buying a real 4DTV receiver. Then I went up and repaired all the wires with new wire from Home Depot. Next I referred to Geo-Orbit, as recommended by Anole, and I hopefully have all of those wires connected to their proper end points. But now, how do I get the thing to work? There is no remote with it, and the only time anything shows on the screen is during the final few seconds after hitting the power button to shut it off! It briefly displays "G1" and an icon of a mailbox with some letters sticking out.

I knew one of you would ask, and I went out and looked, but I can't tell. It says General Instrument on the front, and also it says 4DTV in the front upper left corner. I may have to take a picture, but first let me look again, with my magnifying glass, at the rear of the unit.

I just looked again: On the back it says "Model: 4Dtv". So I asked my wife what she bought, and she says the eBay seller called it a "GI/Motorola 920". I can't see the name Motorola anywhere on it, and the seller has since quit eBay. Newbies hosed again? Should I ask Ice to move this over to the BUD subforum, as has been suggested?

Last edited:
I would also suggest you change all the connectors and grounding blocks on the existing wiring. Go with compression type such as the EX6XL PPC connectors.

If it's a 920 or 922 the Manual I posted will work.
First thing is to make note of the Unit ID on a small sticker on the Back of the Unit
Then you need to go to the Diag Menu, see page 39 of the manual:
Press "Options"
Then 6
Then 5
You should see a matching number from the back of the receiver.
If no match, stop there, sit down, the receiver is toast. :(
If you confirm a match, you can move on......
NPS - Your One Call Solution
You want to program G1 first, called Galaxy 15 @ 133 west in the FTA world.
NPS - Your One Call Solution

Internet Explorer reports a broken file on that link. Any other way I can get to it? If the receiver is good, then I guess I'll go with new connectors. But for now, I need to see what we have.

** Okay, I have to sign off for tonight. I'll be back tomorrow for more c-band action (or, inaction as the case may be). **

Last edited:
I downloaded the 922 manual and immediately recognized differences in the way the jacks are laid out on the back of the unit. What is really important is that there is no mention of the remote in the installation section. I guess with the 922, it is not necessary to have the remote at this point. But, what about with a 920, which is what we think we have here? Does anyone know if I can test the 920 without a remote?
---------------------------------------------------------
Okay, here's where I'm at now. Following Lak7's instuctions, I was able to get to the Unit ID stored within the system. But there is no sticker anywhere on the outside of the box that even remotely resembles the Unit ID stored within. Does this mean that the sticker was removed? What would removing the sticker do? ------ Also, I found one drawback to using the front panel buttons to navigate around: There was a message on the screen that said, "To update Videocipher II, press 9". Well there is no 9 available with only front panel nav buttons. If there is one feature I cannot reach without a remote, there may be more. So that leads to the BIG question: Do I order some programming without a remote? I am afraid that I will pay the bucks for my kid to see the Cartoon Network, and then we may not even be able to get to it, because of some requirement like, "enter a 9". Bearing in mind that this is a model 920, does anyone have any advice for me at this point? Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------
Sadly, the 410's remote did not work. But while we were messing around, we used the front panel nav buttons to go into Options, then Satellite. On that screen, we moved the cursor from G0 to G1, and then sent Mom into the yard to watch. Once she was out out there, we pressed enter and WOW... the old BUD moved! Then we all took turns watching while going back and forth from G1 to C3, and back again. I guess I got the wiring right. I wonder if Sadoun carries those old remotes?

Last edited:
Newbie needs a remote: DSR920

Hello BUD folks (and Anole),

My wife bought me and my son a DSR920, without a remote, off eBay. The unit appears to work, it has a Unit ID that is not all zeroes, and we can move the BUD with it. But that's as far as we can go without a remote. Does anyone here have a remote they can sell me? I tried one from a GI 410, but it did not work.
Thanks.
(oh yes, you can see my thread "Newbies Go C-band" up in the FTA Shack)
Sorry, I meant up in the FTA Discussion.

check with Mike Kohl at global-cm.net

a Starchoice remote will work with it just fine (both use Motorola receivers)

I have an old Primestar remote that works mine, but with little quirks like "menu" on the P* remote is "Sat" for the 920 and "channel" on the P* remote won't change the channels on it.. I also have a DSR-4200V commercial receiver, and it's remote will also control the 920, including channel up/down. Check that DSR-410 remote again, it should do some of the functions, 'cause both remotes I have will also control my 410.:)

the 410 remote will control the 4DTV..,..I used my 905 remote to control the 410

check the remote address to make sure they match

yep...had 3 Motorola units in the same room at one time

Voom box on remote address 000 (cant change it)
905 on 001
Starchoice 205 on 002

if the remote doesnt respond I have a feeling the 920 has a different remote address...you should be able to access the menus from the front panels. I know I can on the 905

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)