NFL 2017-18 Season

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
3 weeks in and no season thread? Bengals suck! Redskins looking good.

Reactions: mccoyrj
Tough loss for the Lions yesterday, I get why they have that rule about clock run off, but when officials are reviewing a play to see if it was a TD. Oh well I am sure the rule will be modified just like they had the Calvin Johnson "process" catch rule :)

Tough loss for the Lions yesterday, I get why they have that rule about clock run off, but when officials are reviewing a play to see if it was a TD. Oh well I am sure the rule will be modified just like they had the Calvin Johnson "process" catch rule :)
Yes, the Lions got screwed ... (which happens often mind you)...
After looking at all the replays, I still think he was in before being touched ...
Being touched before his knew is down doesn't count.
He does get touched AFTER hes crossed the line ...

Yes, the Lions got screwed ... (which happens often mind you)...
After looking at all the replays, I still think he was in before being touched ...
Being touched before his knew is down doesn't count.
He does get touched AFTER hes crossed the line ...

Not sure if I disagree with your take completely. The call could have gone either way. BUT, after it was determined he was down, the run off was the correct call.

This was a crazy weekend. Jags beat the crap out of the Ravens. Buffalo beat Denver, Saints beat Carolina, Bears beat Pittsburgh, Miami had ZERO offense against the Jets, and the same goes for the Raiders in DC against the Redskins. A crazy Sunday of football.

Knockout pools were banged up pretty good. If the Pats and Packers had lost their close games, most pools would only have a handful of participants left.....

I know a lot of Lions fans are upset but I've seen the replays and still shots, he was down before breaking the goal line. The call was made correctly.

Not sure if I disagree with your take completely. The call could have gone either way. BUT, after it was determined he was down, the run off was the correct call.
Actually, the run off was NOT the correct call.
The Run Off is only for cases when a player is injured or a penalty happened on the play, which neither happened.

I know a lot of Lions fans are upset but I've seen the replays and still shots, he was down before breaking the goal line. The call was made correctly.
His KNEE was, but he has to be touched in order to be down.
He was touched possibly before he went down and was not touched again till after he crossed the line.

Actually, the run off was NOT the correct call.
The Run Off is only for cases when a player is injured or a penalty happened on the play, which neither happened.

No, that isn't what the rule says. It is basically set so it will not to allow a team with no timeouts an advantage. The play was reviewed and therefore the clock was stopped. If the play would have been called correctly on the field, there is little if any chance the Lions could have ran another play. That is what the rule was designed to do, not allow an unfair advantage in that scenario. It was applied correctly.

From SB Nation:
here is the NFL’s rule 4.7.4:

If a replay review inside of one minute of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal.

Reactions: meStevo
No, that isn't what the rule says. It is basically set so it will not to allow a team with no timeouts an advantage. The play was reviewed and therefore the clock was stopped. If the play would have been called correctly on the field, there is little if any chance the Lions could have ran another play. That is what the rule was designed to do, not allow an unfair advantage in that scenario. It was applied correctly.

From SB Nation:
here is the NFL’s rule 4.7.4:

If a replay review inside of one minute of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal.
It all started when teams without a TO, had players fake an injury ... thats what the rule was put in for ... to prevent that from happening ... that did not happen here.
NO Run Off should have happened.
Furthermore, he wasn't touched when his knee was down till after he crossed the line ... TD

NFL and officials screwed up.

The rule you posted did not address the reason the rule exist ...

This is much like the rule about taking your helmet off on the field being a penalty ...
It was designed to prevent players from showboating and drawing attention to themselves, NOT in the case of losing your helmet during play, but unfortunately is a penalty, even though its WRONG and not the intention of the rule.

It all started when teams without a TO, had players fake an injury ... thats what the rule was put in for ... to prevent that from happening ... that did not happen here.
NO Run Off should have happened.
Furthermore, he wasn't touched when his knee was down till after he crossed the line ... TD

NFL and officials screwed up.

That is your opinion and no matter how the rule started, it now covers replay. The rule is QUITE CLEAR.

Reactions: Scherrman
Lions move to 3-1, nice win on the road. If you would have told me that they would have been 3-1 after the first four games I would be very happy. Many had them as 1-3 after the first four.

Reactions: Jimbo
Still not what the rule was put in place for.

I wish they would learn thier own rule book.

What did you think about the call in the Pats vs Jets game yesterday?

It amazes me on how they missed that call. It makes no sense by the rules of the NFL.

What did you think about the call in the Pats vs Jets game yesterday?

It amazes me on how they missed that call. It makes no sense by the rules of the NFL.

I didn't think that call made any sense. The ball clearly came lose but he recovered it. How can someone fumble the ball out of bounds when the ball never hits the ground?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)