NFL 2021

Make the first OT a 15 minute period, BUT NOT sudden death. If it’s still tied then you go to the current rules. These games are too important to not have some of the great players (Mahomes 2018 and Allen tonight) not get to touch the ball even once. It’s already a war of attrition as it is, so why would one more period matter? At least your giving both teams a chance. BUT PLEASE, NO GIMMICKS to determine a winner!!
I love your idea, however, thats why it is like it is now, because games were going to a full quarter of OT and sometimes more and I suppose they were afraid of injury if they went much longer.

I use to love OT, back when it was OT, not Sudden death.

I love your idea, however, thats why it is like it is now, because games were going to a full quarter of OT and sometimes more and I suppose they were afraid of injury if they went much longer.

I use to love OT, back when it was OT, not Sudden death.

My apologies, this is just for postseason

Reactions: Jimbo
BTW, It’s always been sudden death, hasn’t it? The only thing that’s changed (and IMO, this at least is for the better) is that the team that won the coin toss can’t win on a first possession FG.

BTW, It’s always been sudden death, hasn’t it? The only thing that’s changed (and IMO, this at least is for the better) is that the team that won the coin toss can’t win on a first possession FG.
I don't know for sure, I was thinking back in the day, they played a whole quarter .... maybe not.
Maybe teams were just too exhausted to move the ball and the quarter went quickly.
Then again, back then they were mostly running teams that passed when they needed too.

Edit:
Your right, its always been Sudden Death, the game I remember most is that 1971 Christmas Day OT game with KC and Miami, seemed like it went all night.
It ended up going into the 6th quarter as obviously No one scored in the 5th quarter.
80 minutes.

Three things about the game last night.
1. OT Rules are stupid, that the other team gets a drive on a FG, but if it's a TOUCHDOWN, they don't.
2. SQUIIB KICK!!! Jeez, As SOON as I saw him boot it in the endzone, I told my daughter what was going to happen - and it happened.
3. Dear Bills Defense. It's called TACKLING!

Oh, and Josh Allen is one HELL of a Quarterback!

When the Bills kickoff with :14 left went into the endzone and I saw the "defense" the Bills employed on that last Chiefs possession in regulation, I knew Mahomes had a shot.

Why they didn't squib the ball and make a few seconds come off?

What's the old saying about prevent defenses?

Reactions: HipKat and SamCdbs
Three things about the game last night.
1. OT Rules are stupid, that the other team gets a drive on a FG, but if it's a TOUCHDOWN, they don't.
2. SQUIIB KICK!!! Jeez, As SOON as I saw him boot it in the endzone, I told my daughter what was going to happen - and it happened.
3. Dear Bills Defense. It's called TACKLING!

Oh, and Josh Allen is one HELL of a Quarterback!

Did Tyreek Hill have oil all over his uniform last night? On at least 4 different occasions he squirmed his way out of sure tackle. I get that he’s the fastest player in the NFL, but he’s not exactly big and these tacklers were squared up on him.

And yes, Josh Allen is one hell of a QB. Not only is he talented, but I love the way he carries himself. Like no moment is too big for him. I’ve been saying the same thing about Mahomes for 4 years now.

Here we go again, up by 3 with 12 seconds to go so here's what we're going to do, let's go to a 3 man rush that way Mahomes will not be harrassed and will have time to complete a couple of passes and get within field goal range but at least we won't give up the big play (hah!). Whatcha think, sound good? I am so sick and tired of coaches that still think this is a good strategy. Watch the replay, the Bills line 4 up but only rush 3. What is the 4th guy doing? Is he a Mahomes spy? Don't know, he just stands there. I just know the only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. The team, and especially Josh Allen, deserved better while the coach deserves a good kick in the seat of his pants.

Here we go again, up by 3 with 12 seconds to go so here's what we're going to do, let's go to a 3 man rush that way Mahomes will not be harrassed and will have time to complete a couple of passes and get within field goal range but at least we won't give up the big play (hah!). Whatcha think, sound good? I am so sick and tired of coaches that still think this is a good strategy. Watch the replay, the Bills line 4 up but only rush 3. What is the 4th guy doing? Is he a Mahomes spy? Don't know, he just stands there. I just know the only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning. The team, and especially Josh Allen, deserved better while the coach deserves a good kick in the seat of his pants.
The Giants didn’t beat the Patriots in the Super Bow playing prevent defense in the end. They did what worked the entirety of the game.

Regardless, the Super Bowl was played last night and it was a classic. Allen is starting to get the respect he deserves. I was definitely pulling for the Bills to win it all.

• Love
Reactions: HipKat
Regarding changes to the overtime process, I saw this online and initially I think it would be an improvement over what’s there now….

- Same rules as now, BUT it only ends after one possession with 8 points, not 6
- That means a team has to decide if it’s more likely to get the 2 than to prevent a score
- Also means a team only loses if it can’t stop the score twice

Reactions: Foxbat
Regarding changes to the overtime process, I saw this online and initially I think it would be an improvement over what’s there now….

- That means a team has to decide if it’s more likely to get the 2 than to prevent a score

So hypothetically if Team A scores a TD and then misses the 2 pt. Conversion, Team B would win if they scored 6 on their possession?

So hypothetically if Team A scores a TD and then misses the 2 pt. Conversion, Team B would win if they scored 6 on their possession?
No, Team B would need to kick a PAT or a 2-PTer after their TD if Team A only scored 6 points.

It would take 8 points for Team A to win on an initial possession. Anything less than that, Team B gets a shot. Everything else is the same as now....

No, Team B would need to kick a PAT or a 2-PTer after their TD if Team A only scored 6 points.

It would take 8 points for Team A to win on an initial possession. Anything less than that, Team B gets a shot. Everything else is the same as now....

I kind of like it. It’s still a bit gimmicky, but it’s certainly better than what’s in place now.

Reactions: Foxbat
I think any OT format is going to be imperfect, but I hate to take the clock out of the game. Clock management/mismanagement is a huge part of regulation time. Eliminating that part of the game in OT just seems wrong to me. That’s why I despise the college OT rules.

Reactions: madmadworld
Best of 5 2-pt conversion fest (like pk shootout), both teams at opposite end zones. Then sudden death afterwards. That be the best gimmick.

Last edited:

Too complicated. Just give both teams a drive and if they tie then a sudden death or one quarter until it ends with one team in the lead - for the playoffs. The same rules we have now stay for the regular season

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)