NFL close to renewing rights with CBS, FOX, and NBC through 2021

I'll be honest and please dont hate me for saying this but the Friday games thing I dont understand. What does one have to do with another? If the NFL has, lets say Dolphins/Bills on a Friday night, I wouldnt think anyone from CT. or Louisiana or Colorado would care as they would go to there Friday night High School games. It wouldnt concern them. I really dont see the big deal.

Not sure why you're against ESPN's NCAA coverage, I think they do a fine job. Plus, with all the big games, along with a lot of others, that's not happening any time soon:

2011-12 bowl schedule - ESPN

This will be much better than FOX's coverage, who never had a college game all season until the BCS games came along....

I think ESPN does a great job with the bowls. I do think they should spread some of the bowls out a little bit. I also think that FOX/FX, NBC Sports, hell, even CBS/Turner might take some of the lesser bowls. It wouldnt surprise me, especially NBC Sports because they are trying to compete with ESPN.

Not many people go to high school games anyway so it shouldn't even be a problem.

Not many people go to high school games anyway so it shouldn't even be a problem.

Think about how many high schools there are in america with football teams.
Maxpreps mentioned something like 14,000+ a few years ago (or so I read)
Half that since it takes two teams per game, so that is 7,000 or so games every friday during football season. Call it 6,000 to be on the conservative side.
If each one of those averaged only 200 fans a game, (and that is VERY low for an average, many around here draw in the few thousands, and up to 10,000+ for big games) then you are looking at 1.2 million people watching football on any given friday night (again actual number is likely double that at the least). I wouldnt call that small potatoes.

A lot of high schools around here and across the state play on Saturdays now.

Regularly?
I know that there is the occasional Saturday game around here as well, but the vast majority are still Friday night.

That's interesting because it seems to buck the national trend of moving to Friday nights. I've officated HS football for over 20 years and when I started about 1/3 of the schools had lights and played on Fridays. Now, about 2/3 have lights. Schools have found that they get better student attendance at Friday night games. A lot of them probably have weekend jobs...

That's interesting because it seems to buck the national trend of moving to Friday nights. I've officated HS football for over 20 years and when I started about 1/3 of the schools had lights and played on Fridays. Now, about 2/3 have lights. Schools have found that they get better student attendance at Friday night games. A lot of them probably have weekend jobs...

There are some in WV and KY that play every home game on Saturday night. Some schools share stadiums and have to play on different days.

In Oklahoma all the high school games are on Friday's except during the playoffs and if there is a holiday that falls on Friday. My nephews school Tulsa Union just won their 4th straight 6A (largest class) state title last week. Union's stadium seats 10k and averages close to 9k a game at home. When Union and Jenks play the annual Backyard Bowl it is usually held at Chapman Stadium at the University of Tulsa as these 2 teams will draw close to 35k for that game.

I don't believe espn's monopoly is good for the game. Like putting the fcs games on espn3 and pretty much holding the viewers in Montana hostage as only 1 isp in the state carried espn 3. espn only wants to promote their own agenda during games. I am getting tired of trying to watch Big 12 games and Musburger and Herbstreit yammer on and on about the sec instead of giving us the play by play and whats going on in Big 12, the conference that they are broadcasting. I know what the bowl schedule is. I don't like that espn has all but 2 bowl games. That monopoly leads to a lot of favoritism.

I like that the NFL spreads it around to several networks and alternates the hosts of the superbowl between them. Leads to a variety of different viewpoints and analysis.

So, you think if another network other than ESPN had the games that they would NOT promote them just as much ?

Regularly?
I know that there is the occasional Saturday game around here as well, but the vast majority are still Friday night.

Most of the Saturday games are part of the Playoff schedule, seeing they have a bunch of different divisions up here they split them up between Friday and Saturday.

NFL network is awesome for any true NFL fan.Personally love the Thursday night games,heck it would suit me if they played 7 days a week!

NFL net is keeping the 8 game package they have,they are trying to sell another 8 game package to generate more income.As if they need it:rolleyes:

NFL network is awesome for any true NFL fan.Personally love the Thursday night games,heck it would suit me if they played 7 days a week!

NFL net is keeping the 8 game package they have,they are trying to sell another 8 game package to generate more income.As if they need it:rolleyes:

Does the NFL p[ay themselves for, the NFL Network ?
They are talking about adding games to the NFL Net for the first 8 weeks ofd the season to go with the last 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)