NFL Network HD not the HD feed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattsarz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Willoughby, OH
I understand that NFL Network doesn't do a lot of HD programming, but I get the feeling that the feed being presented on the HD channel isn't the HD feed. I thought they did the NFL Replay games in HD (last night's games were not) and the America's Game commercials are normally in HD and they were widescreen on the HD feed. Plus it doesn't have that NFL HD logo that is normally there even on SD programming.

Anyone one else got a conspiracy theory?

NFL Network HD was the same way with my old provider (FiOS). Few of the in studio NFL shows are produced in HD and when they do the rebroadcast of Sunday's games under the NFL Replay they don't always rebroadcast it in HD. I never figured that one out. If there is a conspiracy, it is related to the NFL Network, not D*.

I have also heard that the studio shows for NFL are not produced in HD. This makes no sense to me. Being that the channel is newer and that the NFL has been the biggest supporter of HD, (they forced FOX and CBS to carry their games in HD and threatened them if they did not with not renewing contracts), you would think that they themselves would want everything they do on their own channel to be in HD.

Much like the Big Ten Network.

Yep, almost nothing is shown in HD on NFL Network HD. I have been complaining about this for over a year.

The fact that the NFL (which is not hurting for money btw) cannot seem to produce any of their own studio shows in HD is laughable.

They are, in terms of true hd content, the worst hd channel on tv.

Are you seeing black bars on the sides of the screen for the SD stuff? The way you're describing it, it almost sounds like you're actually watching the SD channel, not the HD one.

The SD feed will show SD shows without the black bars (unless you have your receiver set to "pillar box" mode), but the SD programming on the HD channel will have the bars, and will look noticably better.

I understand that NFL Network doesn't do a lot of HD programming, but I get the feeling that the feed being presented on the HD channel isn't the HD feed. I thought they did the NFL Replay games in HD (last night's games were not) and the America's Game commercials are normally in HD and they were wide screen on the HD feed. Plus it doesn't have that NFL HD logo that is normally there even on SD programming.

Anyone one else got a conspiracy theory?
I posted about this yesterday, and I'm convinced that I have seen the nflhd logo before. They may not send hd programing all the time, but something just doesnt seem right.

The Baltimore/Arizona game was not broadcast originally in HD which is why they had to convert it or somethin.

Are you seeing black bars on the sides of the screen for the SD stuff? The way you're describing it, it almost sounds like you're actually watching the SD channel, not the HD one.

The SD feed will show SD shows without the black bars (unless you have your receiver set to "pillar box" mode), but the SD programming on the HD channel will have the bars, and will look noticably better.

I see black bars either way because I have my receiver set to Native On and stretch. The 2024 software version inadvertantly stretches some channels when they shouldn't be.

here is what happened wednesday nite on nfln:

1 - at 8:00 the giants/redskins game came on in hd....had the nfln hd logo on bottom rite....at about 9:00 game switched to standard broadcast....was sharper than regular standard but still had black bars on sides...even nfln hd log dissapeared and was replaced with regular nfln logo....so either dtv was still playing with the channel (nost likely) or something happened with the nfln feed.

2 - at 10:30 the cardinals/ravens game came on in hd...however game was not broadcast in hd originally by fox (fox only does 5 games in hd and this was the 6th) so nfln upconverted to look like hd widescreen.

bottom line - all nfl replay games should be in hd unless:
a) dtv or nfln has a problem with the feed.
b) game not broadcast originally in hd by network so then nfln upconverts to make it look hd.

Cardinals/Ravens was not in HD last week so it could not be rebroadcast in HD. NFL Network was probably showing the FOX Widescreen version of the broadcast. FOX Widescreen is better than SD, but not as good as HD.

I see black bars either way because I have my receiver set to Native On and stretch. The 2024 software version inadvertantly stretches some channels when they shouldn't be.

If you have your receiver set to stretch you should never see black bars on the sides of an SD channel - only on an HD channel that is broadcasting an SD program, because the box won't stretch HD channels.

1 - at 8:00 the giants/redskins game came on in hd....had the nfln hd logo on bottom rite....at about 9:00 game switched to standard broadcast....was sharper than regular standard but still had black bars on sides...even nfln hd log dissapeared and was replaced with regular nfln logo....so either dtv was still playing with the channel (nost likely) or something happened with the nfln feed.

2 - at 10:30 the cardinals/ravens game came on in hd...however game was not broadcast in hd originally by fox (fox only does 5 games in hd and this was the 6th) so nfln upconverted to look like hd widescreen.

bottom line - all nfl replay games should be in hd unless:
a) dtv or nfln has a problem with the feed.
b) game not broadcast originally in hd by network so then nfln upconverts to make it look hd.

I was wonder If I was the only one that noticed the 3qtr screen shrink of the skins giants game - glad to know it was a national thing and not my setup.

I am on the NFLN-HD channel for sure watching Playbook AFC. It is in SD. Ironically Sterling Sharpe was just bragging about all the technology NFLN has. Not only is the broadcast in SD, but the audio track is nearly a second too fast for the video.

Cool, then I'm wrong. The replay I caught was the Redskins-Giants and it was not in HD. Carry on!

Really? I watched this game and it was in HD. Compared to the Ravens game after the difference was night and day!

Wrong. Fox airs every game in HD. CBS is the network that misses one HD game per week. Last week that was Browns at Raiders. Here in Phoenix, we got Cards at Ravens in HD on Fox 10(and I even checked KMSB in Tucson, they were airing it in HD as well). I would assume the HD feed was on ST also, but not sure since I watched the game OTA. Now what feed NFLN used for replay is beyond me. Just wanted to clarify.

Wrong. Fox airs every game in HD. CBS is the network that misses one HD game per week. Last week that was Browns at Raiders. Here in Phoenix, we got Cards at Ravens in HD on Fox 10(and I even checked KMSB in Tucson, they were airing it in HD as well). I would assume the HD feed was on ST also, but not sure since I watched the game OTA. Now what feed NFLN used for replay is beyond me. Just wanted to clarify.

r u sure it was in hd....becausefox does sumtimes what they call a "fox widescreen" where it fills the screen (not stretched) but it is not really in hd.

also fox does not do all games in hd as stated in this from the foxsports.com site:

FOX Sports' 2007 NFL broadcast schedule once again boasts an unmatched offering of high-definition programming. Starting with three preseason broadcasts in August, six games each week during the regular season and complete coverage throughout the NFL postseason, FOX Sports presents up to 105 games in high-definition this season, representing over 90% of all games covered. FOX Sports remains the only NFL broadcaster to produce as many as six NFL regular season games in HD each Sunday.

here is the week 3 1:00 sched - an hd channel wasnt listed for arz/bal:
NFL Week 3 Sunday Ticket Schedule

THIS WEEK ON NFL SUNDAY TICKET™

Teams Playing at 1 PM (ET) Ch. HD Ch.

Arizona Cardinals at Baltimore Ravens 704 --
Minnesota Vikings at Kansas City Chiefs 705 719
Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles 706 720
San Francisco 49ers at Pittsburgh Steelers 707 723
St. Louis Rams at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 708 724
San Diego Chargers at Green Bay Packers 709 721
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans 710 722
Miami Dolphins at New York Jets 711 725
Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots 712 726

Last edited:
r u sure it was in hd....becausefox does sumtimes what they call a "fox widescreen" where it fills the screen (not stretched) but it is not really in hd.

Fair enough, that may have been it. I know it was widescreen, and getting it OTA may have just given better PQ, so I may have been fooled. That's what I get for enjoying Bloody Marys on a Sunday morning!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts