NFL preseason 2010-2011 Official discussion thread!

It's pre season so it doesn't matter who wins or loses. It's football, people get hit.

And when QBs THINK they can make a tackle, they get what they deserve!
John Lynch said it in the booth, when they saw a QB THINKING he was gonna make a block or a tackle.....it was open season! The defense players looking to hit the QB use to "lick their chops".

Someone stated "he is a football player". Sorry, he is a QB...not a football player. They are SUPPOSED to be the 2nd smartest guys on the field outside of the coaching staff. That was a very stupid move on Orton's part.

Matt Leinart needs to learn a few things from Tim Tebow like say......HUMILITY?
Coach Whisenhunt says QB decision yet to be made - Welcome to Charter.net

For Leinart to say he has out performed the other QBs in training camp isn't saying much when he seems to be so lackluster moving the offense on the field. Maybe the Cardinals should invite JaMarcus Russell to compete against Leinart to drive home the point to Leinart that the team is not at all impressed with his play so far. If saying that even JaMarcus Russell is a better option than Matt Leinart doesn't wake Leinart up than nothing will.

The same teams that would take players like Derek Anderson and David Carr. Teams without a solid 2nd option at QB and hoping for a manifestation of talent that was last seen on flashes during prior NFL games or during their college days. I wouldn't rule out Oakland, Buffalo, Minnesota, New York (Giants, Sorgi just put on IR) and his old coach in Seattle all being interested... I am sure there are others too. He just needs to be humble and know his place if he's given a second opportunity. I think he'd have problems beating the number 2s on some of those teams though (like Gradkowski, Whitehurst, even Jackson... Minnesota is a little QB heavy anyways).

And when QBs THINK they can make a tackle, they get what they deserve!
John Lynch said it in the booth, when they saw a QB THINKING he was gonna make a block or a tackle.....it was open season! The defense players looking to hit the QB use to "lick their chops".

Someone stated "he is a football player". Sorry, he is a QB...not a football player. They are SUPPOSED to be the 2nd smartest guys on the field outside of the coaching staff. That was a very stupid move on Orton's part.

I said he was "a player", meaning that he was tough and going to give his all. He was making a leg-block tackle to save a touchdown. I DON'T THINK he was expecting Harrison to lower his helmet and aim squarely for his back, especially in a preseason game. Harrison easily could have jumped over him and kept on running. I do hope Orton learned his lesson and won't be doing that again.

I said he was "a player", meaning that he was tough and going to give his all. He was making a leg-block tackle to save a touchdown. I DON'T THINK he was expecting Harrison to lower his helmet and aim squarely for his back, especially in a preseason game. Harrison easily could have jumped over him and kept on running. I do hope Orton learned his lesson and won't be doing that again.

I hope he learned his lesson too. Leave the tackling for BIG GUYS!! IF I was a fan or a coach, I would be FURIOUS for my starting QB to take that kind of risk.
Didn't Curt Warner do that once and injured himself real bad because of that?

Interesting how the Steelers site edited..........the quotes are not from me.

James Harrison says Kyle Orton "got what he had coming"
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2010 1:04 PM ET

When a bank robber gets away with the money, the last thing he should do is call the bank the next day, identify himself, and say, "You're damn right I took the money."

A similar concept applies when a football player apparently gets away with a fairly blatant case of unnecessary roughness.

After recovering a fumble, which eventually was ruled not a fumble, in Sunday night's game between the Steelers and the Broncos, linebacker James Harrison encountered Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton. Orton, not cognizant of the line between bravery and lunacy, tried to tackle Harrison. So Harrison unloaded on Orton. Hard.

"He was running his mouth and getting in the way of the train," Harrison said after the game, per Mike Klis of the Denver Post. "And the train wasn't coming off the track."

If Harrison had said nothing more, we think he'd be fine. It was a rough play, but no one told Orton to get in the way of the train. But then Harrison added a sentence or two that creates the impression that he was trying to injure Orton.

"He was popping off down there the first time they were about to score," Harrison said. "So you run your mouth, expect to get something. Everything's between the lines, so he got what he had coming."

Even though Orton wasn't throwing the ball or otherwise within the protections that apply to quarterbacks, the rules prevent specific instances of unnecessary roughness. Despite the fact that no flag was thrown, Harrison's word could be enough to trigger a letter from the league office informing him that he's getting what he has coming, as in money coming out of his check.

"Orton and the Bronco's got the last laugh as they dominated the Steelers. All the Steelers did was take cheap shots and throw fits. Anyone surprised?"

"here is a very low quality video of his cheap shot in the SB. Harrison is a good player but he is a goon and a complete moron." YouTube- James harrison super bowl un sportsman like penalty "

It's pre season so it doesn't matter who wins or loses. It's football, people get hit.

I agree with you Cy.

Yaz,
I'm guessing you ADDED the part about being a Moron ?

There was NOTHING wrong with this play at all.
This is your STARTING QB, why are you in that position in the first place ?
You got 10 other guys going after him as well and you got to be the one to try to tackle him ?

It is a Defenseman's mentality to hit the opponent, I see nothing wrong with it.

Wins and losses mean NOTHING at this point of the year, playing together is the main objective.

I agree with you Cy.

Yaz,
I'm guessing you ADDED the part about being a Moron ?

There was NOTHING wrong with this play at all.
This is your STARTING QB, why are you in that position in the first place ?
You got 10 other guys going after him as well and you got to be the one to try to tackle him ?

It is a Defenseman's mentality to hit the opponent, I see nothing wrong with it.

Wins and losses mean NOTHING at this point of the year, playing together is the main objective.

I wouldn't expect anything different from you and Cy. You're Steelers fans. Now, if it had happened to Ben, you guys might see it differently.....

No I did not add the quotes(see the first line), those were from the site I got this.

I wouldn't expect anything different from you and Cy. You're Steelers fans. Now, if it had happened to Ben, you guys might see it differently.....

No I did not add the quotes(see the first line), those were from the site I got this.

Seeing there was a break inn the typing, I thought that you may have added the last several lines.

If it was Ben, I would not have seen it any other way. (except Ben is BIGGER than Orton).

I would have questioned him being in a position to have to tackle a 250 lb LB, then again, in Ben's case, that would not be a problem.

Fwiw, Orton is 6'4" 220, Ben is 6' 5" and 250