NFL preseason 2010-2011 Official discussion thread!

I watched the 49ers knock the rust off of him, then the Vikings pull him after playing him even less than their conservative '10 plays or more than a 3 and out' estimate and turn off the TV.

Rich Eisen said it best on Twitter a little bit ago - "Favre taking just four snaps: NBC's biggest bummer since Jay Leno at 10pm."

He attempted one pass, but he DID complete it for a 13-yard first down gain.

Besides, why risk injury before what could be a potentially great season in a meaningless game?

Whare is Kent State. It must really be small. I never have heard of this college.

Obviously,you must be in your twenties(or thirties),because all of us baby boomers remember the Kent State Massacre(& that had absolutely NOTHING to do with football,just anti-Vietnam War protesters,armed national guardsmen,& "Four Dead in Ohio").

Now,back to football.......

The Vikings offensive line does not look good. If they don't fix this then they won't make it even half season with a healthy Brett.

I still think,like it or not,the Vikings future is with Tarvaris Jackson. I used the analogy earlier about a 1968 movie Charlton Heston called "Number One" where he played an aging 40 year old QB trying to hang on for one more season. I wish some channel would play that movie again,because the similarities between Heston's character & what's going on with Minnesota is chilling,even down to the back-up QB being African American & waiting to get in the game when the big dog fails,or gets injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_One_(1969_film)

Whare is Kent State. It must really be small. I never have heard of this college.

It's a MAC School in Kent, Ohio located in the North East portion of the state, closer to Akron than Cleveland. I actually graduated from this school.

The school itself is probably best known for the May 4th massacre in 1970 where the Ohio National Guard shot dead 4 students and wounded 9 others who were protesting the Vietnam War. There was a song written about it you may have heard by Neil Young.

It's a MAC School in Kent, Ohio located in the North East portion of the state, closer to Akron than Cleveland. I actually graduated from this school.

The school itself is probably best known for the May 4th massacre in 1970 where the Ohio National Guard shot dead 4 students and wounded 9 others who were protesting the Vietnam War. There was a song written about it you may have heard by Neil Young.
Thanks HDMM,
This is TWICE in this thread that I now have that song stuck in my head ! :D

Good song , sad story.

Good song.

YouTube - Neil Young - Ohio [Live At Massey Hall 1971] (Video)

I watched the Steelers - Lions game and I have to say, the Lions defensive starters were totally manhandling the Steelers offensive line. I do not know if someone was missing other than Ben, but they were getting pushed aroound all over the place. Hell, even the STEELERS announcers were saying the exact same thing.

Detroit's defense is going to be really good. That team will be getting better and better within the next couple of years where I would not be surprised if they made playoff run NEXT YEAR.

I tell you what. This Browns squad is going to have a much more POWERFUL run game than I expected. If anyone remembers Jerome Harrison at the end of last year, well, that was a hint of what is to come. Only we ADDED bruiser Peyton Hillis & Montario Hardesty (Tennessee) to the mix! Couple that trio with one of the best FB's in the game (Laurence Vickers) and a less than appreciated offensive line anchored by Joe Thomas, Alex Mack & Eric Steinbach and you kind of see my point!

GAWD, I can't wait until week 1!!

I watched the Steelers - Lions game and I have to say, the Lions defensive starters were totally manhandling the Steelers offensive line. I do not know if someone was missing other than Ben, but they were getting pushed aroound all over the place. Hell, even the STEELERS announcers were saying the exact same thing.

Detroit's defense is going to be really good. That team will be getting better and better within the next couple of years where I would not be surprised if they made playoff run NEXT YEAR.

The Steelers O-Line sucked as it was, but they also lost Willie Colon to injury, so they suck even more now. I can't wait until Week 6 when my Browns get to pummel that Big Giant Hillbilly (Ben)!

You guys put WAY too much emphasis on what happens in pre-season games. I know it's all we have right now, but some people are acting like what we see are absolute pre-cursors to the regular season. History tells us otherwise. ;)

Sandra

1st team offense vs. 1st team defense. Neither team showed any fancy plays and it was brute strength vs brute strength....and the Lions had more. I judge my team during the preseason on how my team's 1st squad does against the other teams first squad. It has NOTHING to do with wins and losses in the preseason because the COLTS have a 9-22 record during the preseason in the last 7 years...during that same span, they have a record 7 straight seasons with at least 12 wins.

So yeah, preseason records mean nothing, but how your 1st team does against their 1st team means alot. Regardless of history....

1st team offense vs. 1st team defense. Neither team showed any fancy plays and it was brute strength vs brute strength....and the Lions had more. I judge my team during the preseason on how my team's 1st squad does against the other teams first squad. It has NOTHING to do with wins and losses in the preseason because the COLTS have a 9-22 record during the preseason in the last 7 years...during that same span, they have a record 7 straight seasons with at least 12 wins.

So yeah, preseason records mean nothing, but how your 1st team does against their 1st team means alot. Regardless of history....

Even first team vs. first team is very vanilla and not always a barometer, as many plays and players are held back or held out. But you are entitled to your opinion...regardless of history! :)

Sandra

The Steelers O-Line sucked as it was, but they also lost Willie Colon to injury, so they suck even more now. I can't wait until Week 6 when my Browns get to pummel that Big Giant Hillbilly (Ben)!

It's pre-season. With the lost of Colon they have to get use to Adams. BTW....keep a eye on Pouncy.