NHL Blackout explanation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phishman3579

Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Hello All,

I know this is a rehashed topic but I _still_ don't seem to understand it. I just bought DirecTV with the 'Sports Pack' and I am in the NY/NJ area (zip code: 08054) according to DirecTV's website.

If a NY Rangers game is on the NHL network, Vs, or MSG et all; I should be able to see the game, right? What if I want to watch a West Coast game, like the Red Wings versus Colorado on the Altitude network, Should I be able to watch that game? or will it be blacked out because it's not on a national channel or my local sports channels (MSG et all)?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

All live NHL, NBA, WNBA, and MLS material, and all live and in-season replays of MLB on other RSNs is blacked out. Other than a few customers in rural areas where there is a "overlap" situation between RSNs, buying the Sports Pack WILL NOT get you any additional professional sports.

If you want to watch out-of-market hockey, you need NHL Center Ice.

Using you as an example, you would be blacked out of Rangers/Islanders/Devils games on NHL Network and HDNET. You would see all Rangers/NYI/NJ games on MSG, MSG+, VS., and NBC.

Games on VS. and NBC are never blacked out regardless of who is playing. HDNET and NHLNET are subject to local blackouts. IE, if local team is playing in game, you will have to watch game on local RSN (MSG or MSG+ in your case).

All other non-NYR/NYI/NJD games would only be available in NHLCI. Sports Pack won't help you.

--

The same rules apply for all providers. Dishnet, cable, FIOS, whatever. Although not all of those will get you MSG HD.

Using you as an example, you would be blacked out of Rangers/Islanders/Devils games on NHL Network and HDNET. You would see all Rangers/NYI/NJ games on MSG, MSG+, VS., and NBC.

Games on VS. and NBC are never blacked out regardless of who is playing. HDNET and NHLNET are subject to local blackouts. IE, if local team is playing in game, you will have to watch game on local RSN (MSG or MSG+ in your case).

All other non-NYR/NYI/NJD games would only be available in NHLCI. Sports Pack won't help you.

--

The same rules apply for all providers. Dishnet, cable, FIOS, whatever. Although not all of those will get you MSG HD.

Thanks a lot, that answers my question completely. I am switching from Comcast cable (They consider me to be in Philly RSN area) to DirectTV just because it has MSG. Too bad I couldn't get all the other RSNs with the Sports Pack. It looks like I am paying 12$ a month for Fox Soccer Channel, blah.

actually when the penguins were playing in rounds 1 and 2 and they were on versus and fox sports pittsburgh here versus was blacked out leaving us to watch fox sports pittsburgh. As far as I know NBC is never blacked out, versus is blacked out when games are on the local rsn.
Now for the conference championships and the stanley cup finals NO GAMES are broadcast on the RSNs which means Versus has exclusive rights to the first 3 games of the conference finals and the first 2 games of the stanley cup finals while nbc has the rights to the last 4 of the conference finals and last 5 of the cup finals.

If your in the Philly area,you will be blacked out of all Flyers games that are shown on CSN.You wont see any Flyers games on MSG,MSG + or Center Ice.

If your in the Philly area,you will be blacked out of all Flyers games that are shown on CSN.You wont see any Flyers games on MSG,MSG + or Center Ice.

I am in the Philly area according to Comcast but in the NY/NJ area according to DirecTV's zip code thingy. So, I guess we'll see what happens :)

I know some people down in the Seaside,Toms River area,they get NY from D , but are blacked out of all Flyers,Phils & Sixers games on CI,EI & LP.I live in Middletown,Monmouth County,I get Philly sports here,except when the Flyers are on the NHLN.They appear to have a larger blackout radius.Someone in the next town north of me in Hazlet,1 1/2 miles gets them !! I got D just so I could watch the Flyers on CI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts