NHL Season 2013-14

Not saying it guarantees anything, other than the obvious (home ice advantage through the playoffs).

Typically you find Home Ice Advantage doesn't mean squat in Hockey, unless you get to game 7.

That said, you've got a great team, there fore your good both home and away.

I think the Wings and Bruin play again this year ... it means a lot more to the Wings than the Bruins ... please remember that !

Typically you find Home Ice Advantage doesn't mean squat in Hockey, unless you get to game 7.

I think the Wings and Bruin play again this year ... it means a lot more to the Wings than the Bruins ... please remember that !

Actually, the Bruins haven't fared that well in recent game 7's at home, losing to Carolina, Philly and Washington in recent years. However, they have that one HUGE game 7 win on the road to win the Cup in Vancouver in 2011. As far as a Red Wings-Bruins series goes, nothing would make me happier. An Original Six match up, as well as facing the most successful team in hockey over the last 20 years would get a lot of buzz here in Boston!

I totally forgot the Wings are facing Tampa Bay right now. So if the Wings win (or lose in OT, I prefer they win it) tonight, they'll be back up to 7th place.

Wings face the Bruins at the Joe on Wednesday night @ 8pm ET on NBCSN.

Actually, the Bruins haven't fared that well in recent game 7's at home, losing to Carolina, Philly and Washington in recent years. However, they have that one HUGE game 7 win on the road to win the Cup in Vancouver in 2011. As far as a Red Wings-Bruins series goes, nothing would make me happier. An Original Six match up, as well as facing the most successful team in hockey over the last 20 years would get a lot of buzz here in Boston!

Don't count on it happening, the Wings will be hard pressed to get anywhere close.

I totally forgot the Wings are facing Tampa Bay right now. So if the Wings win (or lose in OT, I prefer they win it) tonight, they'll be back up to 7th place.

Wings up 3-1 end of the 2nd period !

It's good to see them playing well against a team above them in the standings ...

They play TB today and Boston up coming and I thing the rest are below them in the standings, or at least not the top 6 teams anyways.

Was just checking the standings, and noticed that the Bruins lead the NHL in BOTH goals scored and goals against. The B's have scored 241 goals (the Blues are next with 240 goals), and have given up 158 (the Kings are next with 159).

Was just checking the standings, and noticed that the Bruins lead the NHL in BOTH goals scored and goals against. The B's have scored 241 goals (the Blues are next with 240 goals), and have given up 158 (the Kings are next with 159).

In comparison, the Red Wings have scored 199 (not including today), thats about a half goal less while giving up 211, thats a 53 goal difference, about the same, so Bruins are about a 1/2 goal better on both sides ... thats huge.

That said, I didn't think the Wings were gonna get out of the 1st round last year either and ended up playing very well.

On the positive side, Pavel Datsuk should be back by the weekend and Z is praying to play in the playoffs.
Pav will add a big boost in experience ... something they lack with all the youngsters in the line up.

VERY IMPRESSIVE game for the Red Wings today against Tampa ...

A HUGE win form them and a confidence builder with them beating a better team.

Very impressed when TB closed the gap to 3-2, I wanted to see how they responded and they did very well.

Nyquist is Very good and young Brenden Smith is coming into his own. Did I say young, they are all young with the exception of a few players now.

Fwiw, Wings are back in 7th place in the playoff hunt.

Last edited:
VERY IMPRESSIVE game for the Red Wings today against Tampa ...

A HUGE win form them and a confidence builder with them beating a better team.

Very impressed when TB closed the gap to 3-2, I wanted to see how they responded and they did very well.

Nyquist is Very good and young Brenden Smith is coming into his own. Dis I say young, they are all young with the exception of a few players now.

Fwiw, Wings are back in 7th place in the playoff hunt.

That was a huge game for TB as well. The Lightning are battling Montreal for home ice in their (very likely) playoff series.

That was a huge game for TB as well. The Lightning are battling Montreal for home ice in their (very likely) playoff series.

Now heres a difference in the way the standings are set up this year, with the Wins gaining 4 points over the weekend, they will NOT catch TB as they are still up by about 7 points (off top of my head), but they could possibly catch NYR, but seeing they are in a different division, the Wings could have more points in the end and still start the playoffs behind them.

In a normal year, the Wings if they pass NYR, would move up solidly into the playoffs and a different opponent.
They would potentially move up to what would be 5th in the standings, but this year thats impossible unless they were to pass TB

Now heres a difference in the way the standings are set up this year, with the Wins gaining 4 points over the weekend, they will NOT catch TB as they are still up by about 7 points (off top of my head), but they could possibly catch NYR, but seeing they are in a different division, the Wings could have more points in the end and still start the playoffs behind them.

In a normal year, the Wings if they pass NYR, would move up solidly into the playoffs and a different opponent.
They would potentially move up to what would be 5th in the standings, but this year thats impossible unless they were to pass TB

I don't mind the Wild Cards half as much as the 2nd and 3rd place in each division facing each other, regardless of standings. Have the top three teams in each division and then the two Wild Cards after that, but seed them 1 through 8. This format makes ZERO sense to me.

I don't mind the Wild Cards half as much as the 2nd and 3rd place in each division facing each other, regardless of standings. Have the top three teams in each division and then the two Wild Cards after that, but seed them 1 through 8. This format makes ZERO sense to me.

I never heard how they end up seeding, just that the top 3 in each side makes it and the next two highest points are WC's

If Detroit makes the playoffs it looks like they will play either Boston or Pittsburgh, which would be 1-8 or 2-7, the rest has to shake out the same way I would think ... 3-6 and 4-5 right ?
Not many other options.

I never heard how they end up seeding, just that the top 3 in each side makes it and the next two highest points are WC's

If Detroit makes the playoffs it looks like they will play either Boston or Pittsburgh, which would be 1-8 or 2-7, the rest has to shake out the same way I would think ... 3-6 and 4-5 right ?
Not many other options.

I think the easiest way to explain it is this: the 2nd and 3rd place team in each division will play each other, the division winner with best record will play Wild Card team #2, and the other division winner will play WC team #1.

I think the easiest way to explain it is this: the 2nd and 3rd place team in each division will play each other, the division winner with best record will play Wild Card team #2, and the other division winner will play WC team #1.
The 2nd and 3rd place teams play one another sounds like a stupid idea, knocking your own division teams out right away ?

Who thought of this idea ?

The 2nd and 3rd place teams play one another sounds like a stupid idea, knocking your own division teams out right away ?

Who thought of this idea ?

Gary Buttman, I'm sure of it. Fans hate this format and I've heard it's likely a one year experiment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts