Nightly Update & 338 Software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

peggy97850

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Western US
For the past 2 yrs I have set a timer from 1-3 am to avoid the nightly update message. Since the 338 software I'm back to getting the update request even though the timer is still recording. I thought that timers had priority, but it seems that no longer is true. Anyone else back to the old message that has to be selected Y/N, with the system rebooting or shutting down afterwards? Has anyone found a way around it? Not at all happy about being interrupted every hour when I pay for the service - seems like I should be able to choose when I want to watch.

2 years of requesting this feature & Dish just ignores it's customers - poor way to run a company.

For the past 2 yrs I have set a timer from 1-3 am to avoid the nightly update message. Since the 338 software I'm back to getting the update request even though the timer is still recording. I thought that timers had priority, but it seems that no longer is true. Anyone else back to the old message that has to be selected Y/N, with the system rebooting or shutting down afterwards? Has anyone found a way around it? Not at all happy about being interrupted every hour when I pay for the service - seems like I should be able to choose when I want to watch.

2 years of requesting this feature & Dish just ignores it's customers - poor way to run a company.
With 2 years your out of contract, you can leave anytime your unhappy enough.

Wish I could, upgraded a 2nd Hopper 2000 to HWS last summer, stuck for another year & a half - that's a long time to deal with this nightly update crap.

I thought I read here that it update on an available tuner in the background and no longer reboots or shuts down.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Mine is shutting down after the update no matter what I'm watching or recording - that's what I'm trying to avoid. I can't seem to find a way around that update message, Dirt isn't offering any suggestions, so I was hoping someone here has found a way around it.

Maybe if I had all 3 tuners recording & watched a pre-recorded show, that would work? Seems like Dish could care less about what their customers want - I know I'm not the only person disturbed by this.

Last night I set all 3 timers to record from 1-3 am on my HWS. When the update request message popped up (why, if all tuners are recording?) I said yes, & my dvr turned off - I immediately turned it back on & it was still showing the previous pre-recorded program, so it wasn't updating at all.

An hour later the dvr turned off again - for no reason other than it hadn't updated at 1:30 even though I said Yes - but there was no warning. This is a change since the HWS updated to 338 - before with just one timer recording it would wait till the recording was completed, now the message pops up @1:30 no matter what. To me, that seems like a bug in 338.

Customers need be aware of what's included in a software update so that when the operation of their Hopper changes they will know if it's a bug or a feature.

I'm beginning to think you may have a hardware problem, as this is not the behavior reported by all others.

BTW the update could just be guide data and not the s/w itself.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've reported it to Zach - I know it's not a software update, just guide, etc., but it obviously isn't working correctly. I've found a couple of other people with same issue so it's something that started with 338. Before that, no issues.

Definitely not a hardware issue. Started here on 338/428 as well. Just when the popup couldn't get any more annoying.

Thanks for confirming you've got the "bug" too. I was hoping someone smarter than me had found a way around it, having a timer record was working so well before.

The nightly reboot is much faster than it used to be. My 722 used to take over an hour as it checked the ehd. Last time I was up when my HWS rebooted, I think it was less thann 10 min. They do need to reboot.
During the Paralympics which I recorded over night, I never lost a recording due to a reboot.

That's just it, the last few nights when I've said yes to the update/reboot at 1:30 it hasn't rebooted, it just shuts down. It doesn't actually reboot until after the recording has finished (after 3), so why is the message now showing up at 1:30 - it isn't doing anything & with a recording in progress it shouldn't show the message - this only started after I got 338.

God forbid you have to go to the bathroom or kitchen. Don't count on the receiver being on when you get back. Anything you had in the buffer, gone! Guess we'll just have to record everything constantly and delete if we stay up past our predetermined-by-Dish bedtime.

So just an FYI for those of you irritated by this - last night I had 1 tuner recording a movie, & set an autotune timer to record a music channel from 1-3. The live channel I had on changed to the music channel at 1 & played for 2 hours - no update request, no shutdown.

Tonight I'm going to try just the autotune timer by itself & see what happens - just having a normal timer recording didn't stop the message, & having all 3 timers recording didn't stop the message - not sure why an autotune timer would work, but if it does it won't be as frustrating. (until they screw it up again!)

I've been frustrated and confused by the new nightly update routine introduced with S338 ever since having it. I hate how it no longer waits until a recording is finished to ask. I watch and record a lot of Adult Swim in the early hours from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m., a few shows which are only on once so this is my prime telly time. It likes to bother me at 1:15 a.m. but sometimes it's around 1:30 a.m. Either way, neither of those times are convenient. I do have some breaks where it could grab the update but of course it won't ask once it has been told 'No' until I'm recording again. If I leave the television unattended I can't go to check on it every hour and half hour because the update prompts don't occur at specific times.I don't see the point of having it intrude during recordings now because even when you do tell it 'Yes' all it does is go into standby mode. Now you have given yourself a screensaver preventing you from watching your show. It doesn't do anything as long as you're recording. I have even left it in standby for awhile and when I do return to viewing, it will just bother me later. As soon as you stop recording, most often it will take action and update. That isn't always ideal either because maybe I just had a 4 minute window between shows. While not recording, you can try to encourage an update by pressing the Power to put it into standby mode yourself. What is especially irritating is the update process normally only takes a few minutes but it wants it on its time and not yours. This can result in completely missing all opportunities if nothing works out.I'm not anti-update. I want the update because I don't like having blank spots for artwork which was apparently changed overnight for certain shows. Usually it ends up being shows I record so I get a generic Dish Network logo for the tile until I eventually grab the new artwork from an update.

Nothing I've tried has helped - all 3 tuners recording, Autotune (suggested by Dish rep), etc. Saying yes reboots, & sometimes turns off the Hopper (not every time though), saying no means dealing with the message every hour afterwards. Why isn't Dish listening to their customers? This is the most requested feature, give us our user configurable nightly timer back!

No, you're still giving them too much. It shouldn't need to reboot nightly, PERIOD. Any system that NEEDS to reboot, except for a firmware upgrade, IS BROKEN, period.

Updated both of my Hopper3 receivers to H339. My Joey3 stayed at J533. Have not noticed any changes with the new software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell