Nine new HD PPV Channels?

Same here, waited for more PPV HD, I have been paying $4.99 for HD PPView instead of getting a DVD retal for $3.99 whenever there is a movie I wanted to see anyway on DVD.
Looks better on my 42 inch TV. Plus so far never had to delete these, hopefully they transfer to extrnal drive also. I think last few I watched were Black Snake Moan and DejaVu on HD PPV.
So I think this is a great deal to people like me, where
- person that will not watch SD PPV (too grainy).
- whatever movies are on HD HBO/other premium channels I already seen in movie theathre or on DVD, therefore I don't subscribe to these.
- will probably not spend hundreds of $ on HD DVD or Blue Ray player (until one side wins).
$4.99 a HD PPV movie versus a Toshiba HD-DVD plus Sony Blue Ray player + netflix subscription is a great deal for now, assuming there will be a lot of movies on HD PPV available.

PPV HD movies works for me - might have to get an external hard drive sooner than I had planned.
I'll pay the 4.99 for HD where i won't pay 3.99 fo SD, the power of Hi-def.

I agree completely with this statement. Bring on more HD PPV, I am in! SD PPV be damned.

-Funk

I thought they were $5.99 right now, before they add taxes. I've never bought one and probably never will at that price.

If they were $3.99, I'd probably buy one now and then.

And I'm one of their primary targeted audiences, someone with all of the premium movie channels, HD, and about 2/3rds of all of my viewing is movies.

For me it is absolute waste of HD bandwidth. Never ever watched PPVHD at such price. And of course they will share these channels with RSN HD. NHL HD is actually already RSN HD, only opened for people who pay for it.
So, I am not exited and not interested.
Bring some real HD channels, like new Starz, HBO, TMC, etc. Or Big10 HD. Then I will be exited and interested.
I'm in total agreement ,Complete waste . I could relly care less.I'll just wait untill them movies are on the premiums HD channels ,and save myself some money. This is lame!! Just as lame as HD on Sunday ticket with D*.The only Difference HBO, Starz, Cinemax,Showtime,Encore,and the ,The Movie channel.Always show these pay per views in a couple months.NFL is only replayed maybe once in HD.

I haven't had E* for very long so I have a question regarding some of the posts in this thread.

Can you record these PPV events on the DVR? If so, what limitations are there for playback? If you cannot record, are the buffering capabilities still intact (pause, rew, etc.)?

I've come from the world of cable where you are not able to record PPV.

Thx.

I haven't had E* for very long so I have a question regarding some of the posts in this thread.

Can you record these PPV events on the DVR? If so, what limitations are there for playback? If you cannot record, are the buffering capabilities still intact (pause, rew, etc.)?

I've come from the world of cable where you are not able to record PPV.

Thx.

When you purchase a PPV, it goes to the DVR record menu and ask you to setup a timer. After it's on your DVR you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. Play it many times, with all the trick plays, and you can also send it to your external hard drive and play it off there.

My 2 cents-

I don't pay much attention to PPV either HD or SD. Reason-
1. I've already seen the movie on DVD when it came out on DVD
2. I paid a flat rate per month to see as many movies as I want on Blockbuster Movie Pass.
3. HDPPV and SD PPV are just not competitively priced these days.
4. I like the additional features on the DVD, Last I saw these are not available on the HDPPV

So the obvious question is- Why should I pay more to watch a movie on PPV without the features than I pay to rent the DVD and watch it sooner plus have the features too?

I appreciate all that Dish is doing in expanding the HD channel lineup but if they want to offer more, there are still a few channels left that can be added to give us more, plus they haven't touched the Playboy channel yet and I'm sure that subscription will make them more than the 9 PPVs added.

IMO- How to make the HD PPV and SD PPV work.-
Offer a Movie Pass flat rate deal like Blockbuster for All PPV. Say $25 per month and you can watch all the channels anytime you want. Single price lowered to $.99 to make it in volume as opposed to a Pay per Few like they do now because the cost is more expensive. There was a time when PPV was appropriately priced but times change and today their price is no longer competitive with other ways to watch that movie, especially with the value added you get with DVD, or even BluRay for that matter.

Dish Network and DirecTV need to re-examine their PPV business model and bring it current with the times.

Don - that is where we differ. I don't have a Blockbuster or Netflix subscritpion because
1) I really only want to watch movies in HD and don't yet have either of the HD players
2) I really don't have time to watch many per month - 1 or 2 at the most.

So for me this is perfect. Lots of choices out there and I'll pay 8 or 10 bucks a month to watch the 2 HD movies that I want to see. Now if they get into a bandwidth restriction and need to add some more national channels I believe that that should take priority over these channels, but for now I think this is great!

I know that when my wife says lets get a PPV, I think oh no, its in fugly SD. I tell her that I'd rather drive over and pick up the DVD than watch a SD stretched movie.

Now I may not have too. But I will say that there are a lot of HD-RSNs games on in the primetime. Especially with Hockey / Basketball seasons starting soon.

I love it! Bring any and all HD available in whatever format available as soon as it is available!

You gotta love the folks who immediately start complaining. :)

What??? PPV? Who cares? I want my fishing shows in HD NOW!

This is a waste of bandwidth! They should be using it for all those movie channels that show the same movies two months later over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over............................................................................

WHAT??? $4.99 instead of $3.99 each! Outrageous! I will NEVER PAY IT! Also, I will never pay more for:
Cigarettes
Beer
Gasoline
Milk
Eggs
etc...
I mean come on! A dollar here and a dollar there and pretty soon I won't be able to put new skirting around my trailer and how will that look when everyone comes over to see my new 60 inch plasma!

:D

See? Just having some fun with it!

We all have different preferences and Dish is just making the rounds. As they have the ability to do so, new products become available. It's not just sitting there waiting for some rebroadcast compnay to come along. There are negotiations and fees and rights that all must be finalized and agreed to. What if they could add two HD channels for every premium movie channel but you would have to pay double what you pay now? No Way? Well then have some patience while Charlie tries to save you A BUCK...

My 2 cents-

I don't pay much attention to PPV either HD or SD. Reason-
1. I've already seen the movie on DVD when it came out on DVD
2. I paid a flat rate per month to see as many movies as I want on Blockbuster Movie Pass.
3. HDPPV and SD PPV are just not competitively priced these days.
4. I like the additional features on the DVD, Last I saw these are not available on the HDPPV

So the obvious question is- Why should I pay more to watch a movie on PPV without the features than I pay to rent the DVD and watch it sooner plus have the features too?

I appreciate all that Dish is doing in expanding the HD channel lineup but if they want to offer more, there are still a few channels left that can be added to give us more, plus they haven't touched the Playboy channel yet and I'm sure that subscription will make them more than the 9 PPVs added.

IMO- How to make the HD PPV and SD PPV work.-
Offer a Movie Pass flat rate deal like Blockbuster for All PPV. Say $25 per month and you can watch all the channels anytime you want. Single price lowered to $.99 to make it in volume as opposed to a Pay per Few like they do now because the cost is more expensive. There was a time when PPV was appropriately priced but times change and today their price is no longer competitive with other ways to watch that movie, especially with the value added you get with DVD, or even BluRay for that matter.

Dish Network and DirecTV need to re-examine their PPV business model and bring it current with the times.

I agree completely. I think whoever is in charge of Dish's PPV / HDPPV is probably the only slightly smarter cousin of the mentally challenged person who controls their VOD.

With Netflix (and I assume BB is similar) our average per movie cost is much less than Dish PPV / HDPPV charges; available sooner; usually better picture & sound quality; plus extra features (if you're into that).

As for VOD......well, in all honesty, I can not fathom an instance where anyone could possibly have use for it. It's waste of bandwidth and HDD space is border line criminal.

I have actually seen Dish list movies on PPV that I've already seen on premium channels like Starz & HBO. In fact it's not unusual to see DVDs in the discount bin that are still listed on Dish PPV.

When you purchase a PPV, it goes to the DVR record menu and ask you to setup a timer. After it's on your DVR you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. Play it many times, with all the trick plays, and you can also send it to your external hard drive and play it off there.
You can send it to the external drive? I thought that was not possible...

I wouldn't be surprised if they, at some undetermined future date, decide to not allow them to be transferred anymore...

Still, good to know!

I agree completely. I think...

I can not fathom...

It's waste of bandwidth and HDD space is border line criminal.

I have actually seen Dish list movies on PPV that I've already seen on premium channels like Starz & HBO. In fact it's not unusual to see DVDs in the discount bin that are still listed on Dish PPV.

Your opinions and you are entitled to them. However, most people are not so narrow in their view of what others might want.

Interesting that the program manager of Dish PPV and VOD must be maligned and verbally abused just because you don't understand, and yet, the same or worse conditions exist on every premium movie channel and that seems to me just fine with you.

Netflix and others serve a purpose and if you own an HDDVD or BluRay player, that's fine. I myself don't imagine watching the dozens of HD movies it would take to equal the cost of one of these players but that is just one scenario in how people wish to enjoy their movies.

Just because YOU cannot FATHOM anything doesn't mean all other options are a waste of anything. VOD allows you to decide at the last moment whether to spend time viewing something. There are no accounts, memberships, or other strings attached.

Borderline criminal? Please, that is simply an ignorant comment. Restrain thyself.

VOD and PPV are just two more avenues for Dish to provide entertainment that obviously many people enjoy since it is there and being expanded.

As for WASTING bandwidth, we can all make that claim for any number of channels out there already if we imagined that Dish was OUR company and that we were business geniuses who really understand the market for Satellite entertainment services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)