Nintendo Switch Thread

Honestly, I'm not overly impressed with the console. That said, it's been far too long since I played Zelda and I will probably get one of these shortly after launch.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Do those even exist?

Curious to know if an external HDD could be plugged into one of the base units USB ports. As well as an ethernet port. Prefer wired to wireless when things are stationary.

My guess is that the answer to both of those would be no. One of the main selling points of the console is that you can pull it out of the dock at any time and seamlessly transition into a portable device. I prefer wired over wireless too and I already have external HDDs in my house that could be used but I doubt Nintendo is going to want to support things that limit portability.

Going with an external HDD would mean that not all of your games are playable in portable form. What happens if you pull the Switch out of the dock while you are playing a game that is installed on external storage? Also, it seems like the games are going to be quite a bit smaller than PS4, Xbox One, and PC games. Most AAA games on those platforms wouldn't even fit on the 32GB the switch comes with. Something like this 128GB card for $39.99 will probably work well enough for most people.

Amazon product ASIN B010Q57S62

I'm pretty sure the Wii and Wii U don't even have ethernet ports and those aren't designed to be portable. They sell an adapter that plugs into a USB port for people who want to use ethernet. I suppose they could make these compatible with the Switch too. I think this is probably more likely than supporting external HDDs.

Do those even exist?

Either way, nice option for the future.

The console may support up to 2TB but the biggest I can find on Amazon is 256GB cards and they are around $175-$200. That's probably why the early reports were that the Switch could use up to 256GB cards.

With the 128GB only being $40 you are paying a pretty big premium for that maximum storage capacity. I would probably go with two 128GB cards for a total of $80 instead. You would get the same amount of storage for less than half the price. The obvious downside is that you would have to switch the cards out depending on which game you were playing.

You can get 512 GB SDXC cards for $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8953&cm_re=512_gb_sdxc-_-20-178-953-_-Product

I think the main point from Nintendo was that they have a basic "Future proof" additional storage system. I can't imagine many people would need anywhere near even 1 TB of storage space, let alone 2.

Looks like Amazon has much better prices on the PNY cards than any other brand too. For some reason they don't come up on the first page at all when you search SDXC though. Amazon also has the PNY 512GB card for $199 and they have a 256GB card for $89.99. Thats about half the price of what other brands are charging for 256GB cards.

Amazon product ASIN B00WWBCS1Y

Disappointing news continues, Nintendo insists the Switch will coexist with the 3ds.

This should have been their opportunity to merge console and mobile development. Hopefully this position changes once they've built up an install base.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not that I don't trust gamezone.com, which I've never heard of until right now, but I don't think the second part of that is true. Even the quote they have in their article doesn't match up with their headline.

we’re working closely with Nintendo to get additional Nintendo Switch units, and will let our customers know when they become available. We encourage customers to visit www.gamestop.com/switch and sign up to be get updates about the product and availability.

I don't see anything in what was said by Gamestop's spokesperson that says they won't get more units until after launch. The author of that article seems to have come to that conclusion on his own. Apparently Amazon has gone out of stock and got more available to sell several times already. There is no reason to think that Gamestop won't do the same.

Apparently there was another Super Mario Odyssey trailer that Nintendo was going to use but was nixed at the last minute due to concerns about violence and language. NSFWish

/s

Disappointing news continues, Nintendo insists the Switch will coexist with the 3ds.

This should have been their opportunity to merge console and mobile development. Hopefully this position changes once they've built up an install base.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's what they are saying but I don't believe it. The 3DS may coexist with the Switch in the way that the PS3 coexisted with the PS4 or the PS2 coexisted with the PS3 but I think there is very little chance that they are going to invest any major development resources into the 3DS after the Switch comes out.

I don't follow the 3DS launches that closely but from what I can tell Pokemon Sun/Moon was pretty much the last major release for the 3DS. I would be pretty surprised if the next Pokemon game or any major first party Nintendo game ends up being exclusive to the 3DS. Some third party publishers might decide to do that for the larger install base but I think Nintendo will be focused on the Switch.

Edit: This is the list of 3DS games announced for 2017. There are only 12 games announced in total and BoxBoy 3 is the only one published by Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/3ds?filter=latest

Edit: This is the list of 3DS games announced for 2017. There are only 12 games announced in total and BoxBoy 3 is the only one published by Nintendo.
I noticed the "new" 3ds is noticeably absent from that list. I guess we can consider it already dead.

I noticed the "new" 3ds is noticeably absent from that list. I guess we can consider it already dead.

The "New 3DS" is kind of like the Gameboy Color. It isn't really a new platform. Most games still worked on the original Gameboy after the Gameboy Color came out. The same is true for the original 3DS. Instead of shutting out the huge amount of people who own an original 3DS they just make most games compatible with both and improve the graphics a little bit for New 3DS owners.

The "New 3DS" is kind of like the Gameboy Color. It isn't really a new platform. Most games still worked on the original Gameboy after the Gameboy Color came out. The same is true for the original 3DS. Instead of shutting out the huge amount of people who own an original 3DS they just make most games compatible with both and improve the graphics a little bit for New 3DS owners.
Didn't they lock out some of the game from being able to play on the "old" 3DS though? At least with GBC, they all played on the old Gameboy, just looked crappy.

Didn't they lock out some of the game from being able to play on the "old" 3DS though? At least with GBC, they all played on the old Gameboy, just looked crappy.

Yeah some games only work on the New 3DS, such as the Binding of Isaac.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-binding-of-isaac-rebirth-3ds

Another issue that some games are technically compatible for both old and new 3ds but the old 3ds versions are starkly inferior. Case in point with Hyrule Warriors here:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/28/11319790/hyrule-warriors-new-3ds-vs-3ds-video-digital-foundry

Not all Gameboy Color games played on the original Gameboy. What they did with the New 3DS is basically identical to what they did with the Gameboy Color. That was my whole point.

The New 3DS isn't really a new console any more than the Gameboy Color was. Yes, there are a few games that only work on the New 3DS or Gameboy Color but most games continued to work on the original 3DS and original Gameboy even after the new versions were released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)