Nintendo Switch Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Switch will NOT have Virtual Console at launch.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-will-not-have-virtual-console-at-launch-1792668183

SO...... this thing comes in EIGHT DAYS, and it has no VC, no Video Streaming apps (or even any apps AFAIK), very few launch titles (made even worse by lack of VC) doesn't have enough internal memory to run some games digitally, and we still don't know how much the new mandatory online service will cost. This launch so far is a mess IMO. Definitely rushed. Can't wait to see how the actual system performs.

The lack of VC is a bummer because nostalgia is the best thing Nintendo has going for it right now. If they don't start tying VC purchases to your account instead of making you buy the same games over and over again on every new platform I'm done buying those anyways though.

The lack of VC is a bummer because nostalgia is the best thing Nintendo has going for it right now. If they don't start tying VC purchases to your account instead of making you buy the same games over and over again on every new platform I'm done buying those anyways though.
The new Account system is meant to address that, so that you won't have to keep rebuying the same games.

The new Account system is meant to address that, so that you won't have to keep rebuying the same games.

Good. The way it was handled on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS was ridiculous.

Edit: I wonder if this change is only good going forward. Since the new account system wasn't used on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS are they going to let play the Virtual Console games they bought on those platforms on the Switch?

The answer to that question though in the interview indicates nothing changed. You can't use the titles on another console, even with their new account stuff.

So far all the new account stuff did was get rid of the numerical codes.

Hoping something was lost in translation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The answer to that question though in the interview indicates nothing changed. You can't use the titles on another console, even with their new account stuff.
I doubt they'll ever change that. They want to avoid the game sharing that is rampant on Playstation and Xbox.

So far all the new account stuff did was get rid of the numerical codes.

Hoping something was lost in translation.

You can tie your existing Friend Code and old Nintendo Accounts to this new one, so presumably it would mean that's the way the purchases are going to be transferred.

But back to your point, it does appear that Nintendo did not explicitly state that it would work in the manner I described above, but rather stated that from now on it'll work that way. Nothing about moving existing purchases over.

Edit: More information was found on the Switch itself:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rchases_will_be_tied_to_your_nintendo_account

I doubt they'll ever change that. They want to avoid the game sharing that is rampant on Playstation and Xbox.
Why the hell would they NOT want to emulate that behavior of having purchases carry with you across consoles?

Why the hell would they NOT want to emulate that behavior of having purchases carry with you across consoles?
Because of the very reason I gave. Game Sharing is rampant on Xbox and Playstation.

And due to it's portable nature, Nintendo isn't going to believe the "I'm just going to play it on my friends console while I'm at his house".

Because of the very reason I gave. Game Sharing is rampant on Xbox and Playstation.

And due to it's portable nature, Nintendo isn't going to believe the "I'm just going to play it on my friends console while I'm at his house".
Sorry, please enlighten me to this Game Sharing epidemic that is currently acting as a plague to the profits of Sony, Microsoft, and 3rd party developers.

And this is more to do with the fact that people are being forced to rebuy games they have already purchased. This isn't about being able to log in with your account to bring a game over to a friends house. This is about not having to buy Super Mario Bros 3 for the third damn time because Nintendo doesn't feel like doing a little hard work to make it so you don't have to do this. Nintendo has more money than God right now, regardless of how bad the Wii U did. Spend some damn money on a true store infrastructure.

2 Completely separate issues.
And this is more to do with the fact that people are being forced to rebuy games they have already purchased.
Nintendo has allowed virtual console games (and other paid content) to be transferred from a Wii to a Wii U since the Wii U was first release. They also allow purchased content to be transferred from a 3DS to another, in case it breaks or you upgrade to the new 3DS (or even downgrade to a 2DS). The transfer does remove the license from the old unit when adding it to the new.

Here's the instructions for Nintendo themselves:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...how-to-transfer-content-from-a-wii-to-a-wii-u
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/~/how-to-transfer-dsiware-to-a-nintendo-3ds-family-system
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ntendo-3ds,-nintendo-3ds-xl,-and-nintendo-2ds

Sorry, please enlighten me to this Game Sharing epidemic that is currently acting as a plague to the profits of Sony, Microsoft, and 3rd party developers.
To prevent "Game Sharing", they want to tag games to consoles and not accounts as to prevent people from sharing the games with their friends. Game Sharing is where many people will activate their account on a friends console to allow the friend to play all their games and them to play all their friends games, without each of them buying a copy themselves. Tieing games to consoles and not accounts prevents this.
Nintendo has always been the heaviest against authorized copies, ever since they pioneered the lockout chip on the NES.

Pretty sure game sharing is only with one other console. Not sure that's really a rampant thing.

Given that you can hack the Wii U and download games for free from the eShop they have much lower hanging fruit to tackle.

Cnet posted a video talking about the "fail" of the Switch's kickstand.
Evidently when you push it, it falls. Well, duh...

Needless to say there's many review site's on youtube mocking cnet's video. The comments section in this video are relentless.

Cnet posted a video talking about the "fail" of the Switch's kickstand.
Evidently when you push it, it falls. Well, duh...

Needless to say there's many review site's on youtube mocking cnet's video. The comments section in this video are relentless.

I could see the complaint of there not being an adjustable stand, meaning you can't adjust the viewing angle, but this looks like its trying to be a parody video. Who the hell is going to lean on the thing in kickstand mode?

I could see the complaint of there not being an adjustable stand, meaning you can't adjust the viewing angle, but this looks like its trying to be a parody video. Who the hell is going to lean on the thing in kickstand mode?
Cnet

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-kickstand-fall-over-easy-pop-off/
They added this to the description in response to the heat they were getting:
"*Editor's note* I've heard from a lot of readers that the video I used to try to illustrate the problems with the Switch kickstand just didn't work. My intention was to try to reenact real problems I had, but I see now that the video comes across as forced or cheeky -- like a bad '90s infomercial! While I love the comparison, that wasn't my intention. I've heard you guys loud and clear and in the future, I'll be illustrating this type of opinion with tests instead of recreations -- CNET Senior Editor, Sean Hollister."

Funniest part is when it points out how the kickstand snaps off.
That's a design feature, it's supposed to do that, that prevents if from breaking.

Last edited:
Some people in Japan got their Switch early.

http://kotaku.com/lucky-japanese-nintendo-fans-accidentally-get-the-switc-1792845491

Oh, and it should be noted that Nintendo apparently won't release the Day 1 patch until launch, as opposed to earlier for the reviewers. Nintendo definitely doesn't have their sh*t together for this release and its getting to disturbing levels. I can't remember any release in my lifetime where the controllers weren't completely working for reviewers, not to mention the other implications listed below.

Reactions: k.r.
Review Embargo is up on the Switch Hardware. Consensus seems to be more positive than negative, but really NONE of these reviews mean much considering the whole experience of eShop and Online use aren't available yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts