Nintendo Wii Streaming Video

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I have a Nintendo Wii and a wireless connection. If I purchase the Wii internet browser will I be able to watch streaming video such as Netflix or MLB.TV from it?

I would ASSUME not. The Wii Opera browser is rather simplistic and probably isn't made for sites like that. I mean Netflix streaming doesn't even work with Firefox on a regular computer (not to mention it requires a small download to a computer to work in the first place) not to mention that only the 360 offically supports online streaming (as far as consoles are concerned.) I can't say with 100% certainty since I don't use my Wii for web browsing, but I'd be willing to bet my next 4 paychecks that neither of those sites work with the Wii browser.

They are rumors that Netflix will soon be supporting the Wii and PS3 for their streaming service like they currently have with Xbox. But again, those are only rumors. The only thing you will be able to get any use of from the Wii Browser is probably Youtube.com

They are rumors that Netflix will soon be supporting the Wii and PS3 for their streaming service like they currently have with Xbox. But again, those are only rumors. The only thing you will be able to get any use of from the Wii Browser is probably Youtube.com
Yes, those were definitely just RUMORS, as M$'s recent press release proves:

Xbox 360 officially the only console able to stream Netflix -- sorry, PS3 and Wii

The Wii console does work with Youtube, but there's a special version of the site you can use: http://www.youtube.com/tv I think.

Personally for anyone with a decent broadband connection, I think the $99 Roku with Netflix is the best thing since sliced bread. It could not be any easier to hook up and use. Had it for about 4 months and the whole family loves it.

Personally for anyone with a decent broadband connection, I think the $99 Roku with Netflix is the best thing since sliced bread. It could not be any easier to hook up and use. Had it for about 4 months and the whole family loves it.

+1. I have both PlayOn for Ps3 and a Roku, and the Roku is definitely more stable and allows you to watch select Netflix titles in HD and gets MLB now. At the present moment PlayOn isn't working properly for Netflix and other channels. In my experience, bugs are an all too common problem with PlayOn, unfortunately, which is great when it does work, especially for Hulu. Not sure how successful it's new build for the Wii is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)