no coax connection...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leoingle

Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Texas
i have a spot in a room where i want to put a receiver at but i have no way to get a coax connection to that spot. i know Dish Network has a solution to this. Does Directv have a solution for this?

Uhhh Unless it is a bank vault then it can be done. Either a wall fish, through floor, ceiling, windows, under carpet......haha

pardon my ignorance, but how does dish do it?

not exactly sure how Dish's is done, but i was dating a girl earlier this year who had Dish and her's was set up like this. it had wireless extenders coming from something in her living room that ran down the edge of the carpet to a little 6 inch antenna and she had the same thing in her bedroom that went to her receiver in her bedroom. i actually looked at the one in her bedroom, i never really looked at the one behind her entertainment center in her living room to see where it was running from. the ppl that installed everything put it in. she said they said the antennas help extend the reception to the receiver in the bedroom.

Uhhh Unless it is a bank vault then it can be done. Either a wall fish, through floor, ceiling, windows, under carpet......haha

well, we'll just say it's in a bank vault then. :) you are right, its not 100% impossible, but a wireless coax solution would be ALOT easier if i could do it.

That small 6" antenna is probably the RF receiver that just receives the remote signal, not the signal from the satellite itself.

DirecTV has the RF antenna built into the receiver, if you have an RF remote (R at the end of the model number on the top left of the remote) you can switch to RF mode in the setup screen.

If the RF signal is too weak to reach the receiver there is no easy solution other than relocating the receiver. Also try new batteries if this is the case.

That small 6" antenna is probably the RF receiver that just receives the remote signal, not the signal from the satellite itself.

DirecTV has the RF antenna built into the receiver, if you have an RF remote (R at the end of the model number on the top left of the remote) you can switch to RF mode in the setup screen.

If the RF signal is too weak to reach the receiver there is no easy solution other than relocating the receiver. Also try new batteries if this is the case.

hmm, it's possible it might have been for the remote. i thought it was for the signal to the receiver in the bedroom. ok, so we wil scratch that.

the distance would be about 30ft btw.

You can try something like this coming from the RCA ports on the receiver, but the quality on these things sucks, reviews are always bad. Sending wireless video is not a good solution, you'd be better to pay the $6 for a second receiver before doing this.

Amazon.com: 5.8GHZ Wireless Catv Sender: Electronics

yeah, i think i have seen those. but that is post-receiver. was hoping to find something pre-receiver.

anybody ever tried these? X10 Wireless Video Sender transmits DVD quality video and stereo audio to other locations in your home

i am gonna assume they are just as bad as the one on Amazon.

That X10 unit is the same technology as the link to the one on Amazon. Just cheaper.

Also, note that since it's wireless there may be interference with other wireless equipment (cordless phones, WiFi).

I'm not sure what if anything can do it pre-receiver, but I would highly recomend not wasting the money/time on that one. The ones for after-receiver work terrible, pre-receiver would be even worse.

You are best to find another seutp. What you saw at that girl's house had to have had coax involved, the small antenna just was the RF remote receiver. Dish receivers have a modulated coax out for other TVs, but the DirecTV receivers do not. Even on the dish setup you would have to run coax.

That X10 unit is the same technology as the link to the one on Amazon. Just cheaper.

Also, note that since it's wireless there may be interference with other wireless equipment (cordless phones, WiFi).

the only other thing that would interfere is my wifi. i live in a pretty remote area and the closest thing to me is about 100 yards away.

I'm not sure what if anything can do it pre-receiver, but I would highly recomend not wasting the money/time on that one. The ones for after-receiver work terrible, pre-receiver would be even worse.

You are best to find another seutp. What you saw at that girl's house had to have had coax involved, the small antenna just was the RF remote receiver. Dish receivers have a modulated coax out for other TVs, but the DirecTV receivers do not. Even on the dish setup you would have to run coax.

i did see a pre-receiver solution months ago on some website. it was only for SD though. and it was quite pricey. like 500-600 if i remember right.

Neither Direct or Dish have any type of wireless receiver.
The antenna was for the remote since Dish has Dual tuner receivers they diaplex to another TV.
Everything is still connected with wires.

I have tried one of those AV senders and it didn't work.
It was a cheaper unit though.
Keep in mind though it will not carry high def at all.

There is always a way to get a wire there even in a bank vault.
The question is either will you like it when it is done or how much do you want to spend?
Don't expect most techs to do it though if it is beyond normal wall fishing.
Most just don't carry the tools to do difficult ones as we just don't have the time nor can we charge enough to make it worth while.

So, why is this one so impossible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts