No dish communication error message

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpd5215

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
fb5c0fb8c50f20b44e0be35a9c02524a.jpg

b324178e183e565cc5c96ae44eae3054.jpg

Hello

I have received these error messages several times over the last week. It seems to happen randomly but several times a day. I check all the coaxial connections but none seem loose. I have to press the reset button which does resolve the issue temporarily. However, hours later, the same message pops up. I don’t believe I have a Swim adapter. Any other suggestions on what to do and why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What receiver is this connected to ?
Are you getting this error on all recvrs ?

It Is an error that is normally related to the Power Insertor, but more info is required.

What receiver is this connected to ?
Are you getting this error on all recvrs ?

It Is an error that is normally related to the Power Insertor, but more info is required.

Sorry for the limited info. We have had DTV for the last 15 yrs or so. I am a pretty techy guy but I am afraid I haven’t really messed w all the DTV stuff because in the past “it just worked”. I should have posted more info about our system. We have a HR-54 and two wireless receivers. Also, there is a black “box” near where the HR54 is that is connected to it via coax. I think that is for the wireless clients to communicate with. The HR54 and “box are behind my tv mounted above the fireplace so it’s not the easiest to get access to to see the model number on that “box”. In the basement, as far as I can see, the coax enters the house, is grounded, an then just connects to the runs of coax that were installed when our house was just built. (New construction). Lastly, I haven’t paid attention to see if the error messages appear on the other TVs in the house. Thanks for your help!

Look for the power inserter in-line from the dish. If the green light isn't on, that's the problem. It's possible your system was installed using the built in power inserter in the HR54. If so then you may need to replace the HR54. Check all of your connections all the way to the dish, even ones that look good from the outside.

Sorry for the limited info. We have had DTV for the last 15 yrs or so. I am a pretty techy guy but I am afraid I haven’t really messed w all the DTV stuff because in the past “it just worked”. I should have posted more info about our system. We have a HR-54 and two wireless receivers. Also, there is a black “box” near where the HR54 is that is connected to it via coax. I think that is for the wireless clients to communicate with. The HR54 and “box are behind my tv mounted above the fireplace so it’s not the easiest to get access to to see the model number on that “box”. In the basement, as far as I can see, the coax enters the house, is grounded, an then just connects to the runs of coax that were installed when our house was just built. (New construction). Lastly, I haven’t paid attention to see if the error messages appear on the other TVs in the house. Thanks for your help!

Ok, the HR54 has a Power Inserter built into it ... oddly, some recvrs do, most don't.
So its not like you can swap out the Power Inserter.
You've done the easy stuff already, doing the reboot.
I prefer to not do it that way, but it essentially does the same thing.

In the future, you can get your Genie info without getting behind the TV if you need it.
Go to Menu/ Settings/ Info and tests, Select.
That will give you the basic info : Recvr, Recvr ID, Access Card #, Current Software the machine is running.
If you Run System Test, it will give you much more info.

Have you tried unplugging the recvr for a bit and then replugging, just to see if it helps ?
That one may be hard, I know.

The communication issue is between your recvr and the Dish, but your limited to things to try to resolve in your set up.

I'm going to let others chime in and see what they are suggesting as well.

Look for the power inserter in-line from the dish. If the green light isn't on, that's the problem. It's possible your system was installed using the built in power inserter in the HR54. If so then you may need to replace the HR54. Check all of your connections all the way to the dish, even ones that look good from the outside.
Hes mentioned not finding the Power Inserter, I'm guessing they didn't have an external in his situation, using the built in one.

I'm wondering if he Had an external PI and added that, if it would solve his issue ?

Reactions: harshness
Hes mentioned not finding the Power Inserter, I'm guessing they didn't have an external in his situation, using the built in one.

I'm wondering if he Had an external PI and added that, if it would solve his issue ?
Possibly. I have an HR54 with an external pi. I unplugged it and couldn't get the system to work. Maybe there is a method to activate the internal one?

Ok, the HR54 has a Power Inserter built into it ... oddly, some recvrs do, most don't.
So its not like you can swap out the Power Inserter.
You've done the easy stuff already, doing the reboot.
I prefer to not do it that way, but it essentially does the same thing.

In the future, you can get your Genie info without getting behind the TV if you need it.
Go to Menu/ Settings/ Info and tests, Select.
That will give you the basic info : Recvr, Recvr ID, Access Card #, Current Software the machine is running.
If you Run System Test, it will give you much more info.

Have you tried unplugging the recvr for a bit and then replugging, just to see if it helps ?
That one may be hard, I know.

The communication issue is between your recvr and the Dish, but your limited to things to try to resolve in your set up.

I'm going to let others chime in and see what they are suggesting as well.

So it seems from what you guys are saying, since I don’t see any power inserted plugged in anywhere in my basement or near the HR54 behind the TV, it must be internal inside the HR 54. My dish is on my roof, so I can’t do any troubleshooting up there. I have not unplugged the receiver longer than a few seconds, so I will unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in. I will also make sure all the coaxial connections look good.

Is it common for that internal power inverter thing to go bad w the HR54? Any other troubleshooting I can do. Do I call ATT if your guys suggestions can’t resolve this?

Thanks!

Possibly. I have an HR54 with an external pi. I unplugged it and couldn't get the system to work. Maybe there is a method to activate the internal one?
I believe that the internal one is active when you plug it in, unless it detects addl. power on the line.

I have an external one on my set up too, because I try to keep the other room going when I do a CE.

When you unplugged your PI, did you happen to disconnect the Genie Sat feed ?
Depends on how your set up is.

I believe that the internal one is active when you plug it in, unless it detects addl. power on the line.

I have an external one on my set up too, because I try to keep the other room going when I do a CE.

When you unplugged your PI, did you happen to disconnect the Genie Sat feed ?
Depends on how your set up is.
No. And the feed doesn't run through the pi.

Reactions: Jimbo
Also, just curious...why is this issue I am having only occurring intermittently and randomly? Just trying to educate myself here..lol

So it seems from what you guys are saying, since I don’t see any power inserted plugged in anywhere in my basement or near the HR54 behind the TV, it must be internal inside the HR 54. My dish is on my roof, so I can’t do any troubleshooting up there. I have not unplugged the receiver longer than a few seconds, so I will unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in. I will also make sure all the coaxial connections look good.

Is it common for that internal power inverter thing to go bad w the HR54? Any other troubleshooting I can do. Do I call ATT if your guys suggestions can’t resolve this?

Thanks!

Ok, dish is on the roof, so swapping an LNB is out.
Unplugging the recvr may or may not help, it allows things to clear out and start new, but there are other ways to do that as well.
Is it common, No.

If you have an external PI, you could add it and see if it helps.

I am about 2.5 hours away and have PI's.
Or you can call D*, which is what you want to do if these dont resolve the issue.

Hey Chip,
I forget, what causes the Guide data to not load, like in his other picture ?

If you call D*, they will want to send a tech out, which may be GOOD, if he determines that you need a new HR54, he'll swap it out for you ... Tell him you don't wan't a HS17 server, (its a different set up, it would be easier to just swap it out provided he has one), the rest of your recvrs are Clients I think you said, so if he does swap, you'll be ok.

Keep in mine, if they do a swap, you'll lose the recordings you have made.

DOH!!
I just had a Homer Simpson moment. Of course my system doesn't work with the internal power inserter, my feed from the dish doesn't run through the power passing port of the splitter! I have the external pi connected there, but the feed goes into one of the regular ports of the splitter. What a dummy I am!

• Haha
Unplugging the recvr may or may not help, it allows things to clear out and start new, but there are other ways to do that as well.
Is it common, No.

Or you can call D*, which is what you want to do if these dont resolve the issue.

Hey Chip,

If you call D*, they will want to send a tech out, which may be GOOD, if he determines that you need a new HR54, he'll swap it out for you ... Tell him you don't wan't a HS17 server, (its a different set up, it would be easier to just swap it out provided he has one), the rest of your recvrs are Clients I think you said, so if he does swap, you'll be ok.

Not having signal for a length of time.

Also, just curious...why is this issue I am having only occurring intermittently and randomly? Just trying to educate myself here..lol

A bad connection can work intermittently.

Reactions: cpd5215
Is it common, No.

Hey Chip,

Thanks for the details. I’ll see if I have an external PI laying around. I know at our previous house I had one connected. I’ll see if it was brought to the new house and is probably in the basement somewhere with all the other boxes of crap (mostly wife’s stuff..lol)

I’ll unplug receiver for awhile, check connections, look for external PI, and give the system some time to resolve the issue and then report back this afternoon with my findings. If none of this works, it appears I’ll have to call for a truck roll. On that note, I am not in contract with DIRECTV, I do not have any protection plan. Would I be looking at charges if I need to swap out my HR 54?

Thanks for the details. I’ll see if I have an external PI laying around. I know at our previous house I had one connected. I’ll see if it was brought to the new house and is probably in the basement somewhere with all the other boxes of crap (mostly wife’s stuff..lol)

I’ll unplug receiver for awhile, check connections, look for external PI, and give the system some time to resolve the issue and then report back this afternoon with my findings. If none of this works, it appears I’ll have to call for a truck roll. On that note, I am not in contract with DIRECTV, I do not have any protection plan. Would I be looking at charges if I need to swap out my HR 54?

If the HR54 is defective there is no charge for another one, but there could be a service charge for the call. YMMV. If you connect an external power inserter make sure it's connected to the power passing port of the splitter.

If the HR54 is defective there is no charge for another one, but there could be a service charge for the call. YMMV. If you connect an external power inserter make sure it's connected to the power passing port of the splitter.

Gotcha. I’ll check out the setup in the basement when I get home in a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)