No ESPN HD

PeggyD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
SE King County, WA
I've always had problems with ESPN HD going in & out, but for the last 4 weeks or so, it's been out - no signal "Not Locked - Name Not Acquired!." I've also had intermittent problems with other channels on 110, but not as much. I thought it might be the dish needing re-peaking, so, when the installer came to install the second 622 two weeks ago, I had him check. Still no ESPN HD on either 622.

I've done a check switch more than once. Once, about a week ago, I got an error message that said there was a problem with the switch, but a hard restart fixed that & it hasn't been a problem since. We do have 2 DP34 switches. Could that be a problem? It's there anything else I can try before called Dish for someone to come out?

How many receivers do you have?

Just the 2 622 receivers that are both having the problem.

Do you have one dish or two?

2 500 dishes - one for 110 & 119 & the second for 129

Do you have problems with any other channels?

As I said, I do have intermittent problems (very brief) on a few other 110 transponders. When doing a check last night, I found that TPs 13 & 15 usually show no signal, but will very briefly show a signal strength of about 25. I haven't looked it up to find out what is on those transponders. I guess it's nothing any of us in our house watch. Two of our 3 HD locals, on 110 TP 4 spot beam, will occasionally give the signal lost error, one more than the other & the third never does. Only a couple of transponders on 110 have a signal strength over 60 & are in the mid-70s, a couple are around 57 & the rest that do come in without problems, believe it or not, are 40-44.

For what it's worth, I do not have a problem with signal loss on 129, never have, even though I am in the Seattle area.

Your 500 dish for 119 and 110 needs to be repeaked. Your signals on 110 are too low. Call Dish Network and tell them that you keep losing the signal on 110.

Your 500 dish for 119 and 110 needs to be repeaked. Your signals on 110 are too low. Call Dish Network and tell them that you keep losing the signal on 110.

As I said in my initial post, I did have them check when they came out to install the second 622 just a couple of weeks ago. Although the signal on most transponders is lower now, 41-44, it's not significantly lower than before when these were around 47. Again, I've never had a problem with the signal on these. ESPN was out before & it still is.

You're gonna have to call them again. The only way to fix the problem is to repeak the dish and someone has to go up there and do it, either you or Dish Network. If you want to give it a shot, we'll be glad to help.

Well, since the Dish installers (actual Dish installers, not independent) didn't fix it, I'll have to get my husband & sons to do it. We need all the help we can get.

As I said in my initial post, I did have them check when they came out to install the second 622 just a couple of weeks ago. Although the signal on most transponders is lower now, 41-44, it's not significantly lower than before when these were around 47. Again, I've never had a problem with the signal on these. ESPN was out before & it still is.

Did they do anything when they checked it or did they just tell you it was fine? It's looks like they didn't adjust it at all. Either that or they didn't tighten it back up.

Grab a 7/16" wrench and a couple radios or use a cell to call your land line so someone can read off the signal as it's adjusted. As RandallA said there's lots of help in here. I know he and others helped me a lot.

Remember, if you peak the dish yourself, only adjust one parameter at a time, re-tighten and move to the next.

This is how I would do it.

- Mark with a pencil your current settings. Elevation and Azimuth, leave alone the skew unless it's not set correctly.

- Use TP11 for 110.

- Gently push in each direction to see what happens to the signal. Up and down for elevation and left and right for azimuth. Once you see where you need to go.

- Bring a 7/16'' wrench and make the adjustment. Very slowly try adjusting it and wait for the signal to change. There's a delay so you basically need to adjust and hold until you get the reading.

- Go back and check readings on 129. If you adjust 110, 129 will be affected.

As tsduke said, use radios, or cell phones to communicate with someone downstaris watching the signal screen.

Thanks, all. It will be a couple of days before we can do. The 110/119 dish at the peak of the roof, so I don't want my guys up there if it's wet. I'll be back if I need more help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)