NO GUIDE DATA Past Sunday Noon--Tried everything--have the new software and USB OTA dongle

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
About a week or so again, got the 230 upgrade and my OTA works, but, for about that long, I just discovered, no guide data is being generated past this Sunday at noon. We have 2 hoppers. The other hopper's guide data is just fine (it does not have the OTA USB dongle, but it did get the software upgrade).

Called DISH and tried all this:
Unplugged receiver 10 seconds--waited about 2 hours -- no new guide data (No DVR timers either after that)
They sent an authorization rehit--nothing
Tried a "Check Switch" and also a plain reset--still nothing.

Any idea what's going on?

Does this mean that Sunday Noon, I will get nothing on DISH since there will be no guide data?

About a week or so again, got the 230 upgrade and my OTA works, but, for about that long, I just discovered, no guide data is being generated past this Sunday at noon. We have 2 hoppers. The other hopper's guide data is just fine (it does not have the OTA USB dongle, but it did get the software upgrade).

Called DISH and tried all this:
Unplugged receiver 10 seconds--waited about 2 hours -- no new guide data (No DVR timers either after that)
They sent an authorization rehit--nothing
Tried a "Check Switch" and also a plain reset--still nothing.

Any idea what's going on?

Does this mean that Sunday Noon, I will get nothing on DISH since there will be no guide data?

The channels will still play as normal, just no guide info. Normally to trigger a guide download you just need to have an available tuner and leave it available for about 20 minutes and the guide should be updated. If that doesn't work, then it should update tonight during the nightly update,just don't skip it. The nightly update is when the guide does a full update.

I had issues the other day with no guide date, Did a red button restart and everything was back to normal

I see, this morning, my guide as repopulated out about 9 days and I wish I knew what, of the above items, did the trick. When you did the red button reset (I did that also), did the guide start to repopulate right away or did it wait for the nightly resend?

So, theoretically, each night, it should add another day's guide data to the guide, so I should always see 10 days out? What is the timing--1 am or 3 am (I have been told both) and does recording need to be completed by those times for the re-download to start?

Thanks, Pat

I see, this morning, my guide as repopulated out about 9 days and I wish I knew what, of the above items, did the trick. When you did the red button reset (I did that also), did the guide start to repopulate right away or did it wait for the nightly resend?

So, theoretically, each night, it should add another day's guide data to the guide, so I should always see 10 days out? What is the timing--1 am or 3 am (I have been told both) and does recording need to be completed by those times for the re-download to start?

Thanks, Pat

The first update is 1am on Hopper and if you skip it, it will ask again at 2am. The FULL guide update happens overnight. If the guide is out of date you can turn the hopper off and make sure you Have an avail tuner and then it should start filling in the missing guide info. The tuner would say guide updating or something along those lines on the TV viewing status screen. But to make sure everything is always updated and full, I recommend making sure you don't skip the nightly update. If something is recording, that trumps the update. I believe the update would occur as soon as your timers ended or viewing has stopped after 1am. I think that after 1am, if the receiver is put into standby, that should trigger the update.

The first update is 1am on Hopper and if you skip it, it will ask again at 2am. The FULL guide update happens overnight. If the guide is out of date you can turn the hopper off and make sure you Have an avail tuner and then it should start filling in the missing guide info. The tuner would say guide updating or something along those lines on the TV viewing status screen. But to make sure everything is always updated and full, I recommend making sure you don't skip the nightly update. If something is recording, that trumps the update. I believe the update would occur as soon as your timers ended or viewing has stopped after 1am. I think that after 1am, if the receiver is put into standby, that should trigger the update.

This was very helpful--thanks. I had made 3 calls to DISH about this issue and noone ever said to turn the Hopper off and have an available tuner (i.e.--that means I could still be recording something, as long as one tuner is not recording?). So, that's why I saw no fill-in right away.

Now, overnight--you mention "don't skip the nightly update" -- how would that happen? Is there a setting somewhere that allows me to do this--just so I don't accidentally set it that way. The updates icon in the menu only shows me how long to wait before going into Standby--that's 2 hours. Does that mean, if a recording ends at 1 am (but I had already turned the receiver off much earlier than that when I turned the TV off), it waits 2 hours to go into standby?

I just don't know why, over the past week it was not doing that, as most of my timers ended about 1 or 2 am. I can only tell by checking the guide to see how far out it shows--and only then, find out it is not updating nightly...

Thanks again, Pat

Now, overnight--you mention "don't skip the nightly update" -- how would that happen? Is there a setting somewhere that allows me to do this--just so I don't accidentally set it that way. The updates icon in the menu only shows me how long to wait before going into Standby--that's 2 hours. Does that mean, if a recording ends at 1 am (but I had already turned the receiver off much earlier than that when I turned the TV off), it waits 2 hours to go into standby?

Thanks again, Pat

The update time is fixed at 1AM unless a recording is in progress. Turning the receiver off puts it in standby. The Updates setting determines how long the receiver will wait without activity before going into standby automatically.

No there is no setting to skip the update. What I meant is choosing no when the update message comes on at 1. And I'm actually am going to need to see what happens if the timer ends at 130. I believe it tells you that it is going to shut down to look for updates during that time frame and it should trigger automatically. Then proceed to update.

Last edited:

Thanks, Pat
Mine repopulated right after the reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts