No HD distant Nets!

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
Since we are not going to get the NY distant nets in HD, I have dropped my SD distant nets. I never watched them anyway. While I was at it, I dropped my AT120 back to AT60 and dropped the Playboy channel leaving me just HBO. Saved $20 per month. Cost Dish $20 not to provide me the HD nets that I was paying for and they were broadcasting anyway.

It's not technical, as I was receiving the distant nets from NY when they first came on, then they were removed. I think it is more of a legal thing that no one has completely figured out or wants to figure out.

RobertsD said:
As far as I know it is a technical problem with them not being able to give you distant HD locals, not that they don't want to.

Really? Have you or anyone else seen any specific information as to what that "technical" problem is?

It's a money problem. Unless they restructure pricing, Dish wouldn't get a red cent to give HD DNS to those that already have analog DNS.

Even though they legally can do it. I think for whatever reason they want good graces from the networks for them to do it. They give CBS as a distant and that's because they signed a contract with CBS to do so, I'm think the other networks are expecting the same kind of deal for the same thing. Like I think they have to pay the network for each distant subscriber they let use their signal.

I can only imagine it's something to do with FCC guidelines ....

in order to subscribe to distance locals we must submit waiver as per fcc guidelines ... which is why i said that ... HD is so differant so i dunno

yeah but the FCC guidelines state that those that receive analog distants are also eligible to receiver digital distants.

So then by that would that mean that since they can only provide digital ... it excludes high definition .... yet ppl were able to receive CBS hd from new york or LA ....... So maybe FCC doesn't pertain.... but Dish is lacking in thinking ahead once again. *sigh* I grow tired of their lack of planning ..... then running around like a chicken without their heads trying to fix their F ups ... I have alot of issues with their lack of planning .... they should have made all their HD recvrs mpg4 to start with ..... and they shouldn't have done the whole superdishes when dish 1000 were so close in coming out ..... if only the engineers would TALK to eachother .... but now i'm just ranting and i'll shush

BFG said:
Even though they legally can do it. I think for whatever reason they want good graces from the networks for them to do it.<snip>..

You're right. Marc Lumpkin told me recently that Dish is in negoiations now with many afilliates for HD LiLs, so I'm sure that's a factor. He also said the rollout of HD LiLs depended a lot on Echostar X. My guess is that once digital signal testing becomes available (April 30th for first 100 DMAs), Dish will be able to use that as leverage with the afilliates and they'll either come on board or face loosing to HD DNS.

mera said:
I can only imagine it's something to do with FCC guidelines ....
Not guidlines - Dish could leagally provide HD DNS now.

That said, I expect there could have been some closed door, verbal agreements made - maybe to get certain approvals in exchange for giving some DMAs more time.

The bottom line is: HD LiLs is a win for subs, a win for afilliates and a win for the networks but it takes more time and a lot more resources to provide them.

HD DNS is win for some subs and certainly cheaper for Dish and a wash for the networks but obviously the afilliates take the hit, which hurts the NAB. Trust me, when the NAB hurts - congress and the FCC hurt. When the FCC hurts, they take it out on satellite - sort of like kicking the dog on your way out the door from fighting with your wife.

Anyway, I just think Dish decided it would be better in push harder for the HD LiL route rather than the very limited approach to HD DNS that "D" does. Now that could change some when digital signal testing becomes available, depending on where negoiations are with afilliates.

I do not believe that Dish will ever provide distant HD nets. That is why I canceled my SD distant nets. They were unwatchable.

jerrryez said:
I do not believe that Dish will ever provide distant HD nets. That is why I canceled my SD distant nets. They were unwatchable.
I disagree. There's a reason why NY & LA got set up the way the way they did. ;)

And I've got no idea which distant nets you have, but NY & LA look just fine to me and my 60" RPTV - those channels have plenty of bandwidth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)