No Hits Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
He is saying to stay away from any area that Motorola can get to your receiver. It is time to make sure you turn off all automatic guide updates as well. Any data stream that they, (Motorola), can use, that is anything on G1, C3, G0, GB, G9, G5, C4 and possibly a couple other satellites.
It would be better to protect yourself if you park your dish on a satellite that has no DCII signals at all for a couple of weeks.
The so called "kill" signal does not just go away in 24 hours, it is and may be sent out for a week or two weeks possibly right up to the time they pull the plug entirely.
no-body knows for sure what Motorola will do, but since they have not publicly put out a statement as to their intentions, this is just a safety precaution if you do not want to run the risk of losing any info already stored in your receivers.

At present there are no DCII channels on T6 (Galaxy 25); G3 (Galaxy 3c); G4 (Galaxy 16); T5 (Galaxy 19): W6 (AMC-6) those would be considered a safe place to park the dish and remember do not turn off your receiver. If I remember correctly there is a special item installed in them that will force your receiver to move your dish after a certain number of days if the receiver is turned off. This was mentioned years ago when they were sending out updates to the receivers.

If you can not move your dish for any reason and it is on a satellite that is receiving data from Motorola then disconnect your C-band & KU band cable from the back of your receiver. Just make sure you mark which one is which.

To turn off the Automatic Dish moving Feature: Press (Options-6-4) on remote.
#1) Allow dish moving for updates:: turn this OFF.

Bummer. I guess I'll have to disconnect the coax to the 4D for a couple of weeks so that I can watch the FTA stuff on GB. Too bad no one knows what all Motorola intends to do.

Bummer. I guess I'll have to disconnect the coax to the 4D for a couple of weeks so that I can watch the FTA stuff on GB. Too bad no one knows what all Motorola intends to do.

If you use a channel from 1-24 that is not DC-2 (no lock light) and leave the receiver there while watching DVB you will be safe.

If you use a channel from 1-24 that is not DC-2 (no lock light) and leave the receiver there while watching DVB you will be safe.

Thanks. That's another option that I hadn't considered.

Ummm, not so fast. That is the reason they installed that code in the receiver to move the dish by itself when they were sending out updates.
That is how some of us did not take updates at one time but they came up with that little dirty secret way back when.
The only way it would work is if there was no DCII channels at all on the entire satellite.
Then you were considered "safe".
So if your on a satellite with no DCII signals your ok otherwise not so much.

It would be nice to hear what the real plans are but it is what it is at this point in time.

Ummm, not so fast. That is the reason they installed that code in the receiver to move the dish by itself when they were sending out updates.
That is how some of us did not take updates at one time but they came up with that little dirty secret way back when.
The only way it would work is if there was no DCII channels at all on the entire satellite.
Then you were considered "safe".
So if your on a satellite with no DCII signals your ok otherwise not so much.

It would be nice to hear what the real plans are but it is what it is at this point in time.

If you left your receiver on an analog only channel powered up how can it get any DC info at all to move the dish. I can't see that happening. Am I missing something else?

If you left your receiver on an analog only channel powered up how can it get any DC info at all to move the dish. I can't see that happening. Am I missing something else?

Very interesting responses to my question but since my subscription is out now, I will error on the safe side and remove my C/KU feeds from the back of the receiver until the all clear is given. I also powered off the receiver to removed the hits from the trip counter so it is at 0 with the feeds disconnected.

Regards,

Candid

Years ago when I knew people at Motorola I was told that even on an analog channel as long as there was a DCII data stream on the satellite they could send a signal to have the receiver move the dish to the updating satellite.
I remember them saying it could only happen at the end of seven days. This was a last resort type of thing that was built into the receivers.
They built it to have the control over it.
When the receiver was built there were DCII signals on almost every satellite at that time.
This is not true today as there are several that have no DCII signals on them. Those are fine.
It will be interesting to see what pans out, I would hate to think they would stoop so low to cause harm to the last of the 4dtv people by removing things they put in the receiver but then they could do it and say it was never in the receiver at the beginning and they are leaving the receivers just as they came out of the box when sold new.

Edited:
I remembered what it was now. If the receiver was turned off it still searches for a DCII signal on the satellite your on. So if you had a power outage or the receiver was shut off by accident it would still search for any DCII signal. That was how the receiver would get hit.
Leaving it on an analog channel is ok as long as the receiver does not shut off for any reason.

Last edited:
Y
Edited:
I remembered what it was now. If the receiver was turned off it still searches for a DCII signal on the satellite your on. So if you had a power outage or the receiver was shut off by accident it would still search for any DCII signal. That was how the receiver would get hit.
Leaving it on an analog channel is ok as long as the receiver does not shut off for any reason.

That makes sense since the VC would look for a VC signal when the receiver was shut off too. As of the 22nd I will park my bud on W7 when not in use. W7 and W8 are clear No DC.

Lets hope they just let the 4096 die gracefully and not create any complications.

That makes sense since the VC would look for a VC signal when the receiver was shut off too. As of the 22nd I will park my bud on W7 when not in use. W7 and W8 are clear No DC.

Lets hope they just let the 4096 die gracefully and not create any complications.

That's where I've been parking mine. W7. No DCII "middle-of-the-night-mumbo-jumbo" there! :)

That's where I've been parking mine. W7. No DCII "middle-of-the-night-mumbo-jumbo" there! :)

One can also create a fake satellite in between 2 birds and park it there. Nothing to fear then :D I have been dodging the bullet since the VC days, there are ways.

If Motorola sends out a kill signal i think that would be the best thing they could do for us 4dtv people.

Because it would cause harm to hundreds of people.

Which is when the class-action lawsuits come out.

I can not think of anything better then having a judge issue an emergency order against Motorola not to shutdown the 4dtv stream until a buyer is found etc..

Just my two cents

Just re-reading this thread.
I wonder if somebody contacted their Congressman or Senator and told them Motorola is taking away our rights to watch C-Span proceedings at the end of the year...? Maybe this move by Motorola would be deemed as unconstitutional because Motorola provides us no means of altering their methodology. Ha - we can't even adjust the time on the clocks without Motorola's input.
Further to that, when we bought our receivers, Motorola did not give us any time-factor when their support on them would run-out or end, and we would be left with Motorola boxes that could do virtually nothing.

Sorry, but I am Canadian so I cannot test these waters...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts