Status
Please reply by conversation.

Candid

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Valley of the Shadow
Hi TVROPRO,

Based on your below comment what are some of the channels your would reccommend to let the dish sit on during this period?

As of 12/26 Motorola will be sending out a massive turnoff command for all of NPS's 4DTV subscribers. 4DTV Online recommends that as of 12/25 to keep your 4DTV off of any channel you can get Hit on until January 5th 2011. This will protect your current maps and tiles from anything that may be sent along with that NPS kill command and beyond. Once the 4096 EMM provider is removed on 1/4 it should be safe to go on any DC-2 channel that a data stream was or is on. All movie channel's and W5/X4 channels contain active Hit information.

Thanks,

Candid

I can't watch my subscription? What a bunch BS.

Before some jump the gun here and overreact. You can watch the channels with SRL if you want. All I was saying was I recommend if you want to be absolutely sure and safe to keep it out of the Hit datastream. My subs run out with SRL on the 22nd and I will resub to the new HITS EMM on the 5th. I will be keeping my 922 out of the datastream for that period and I'm sure others agree with this. The possibility is there for something to happen I did not say it will happen.

Hi TVROPRO,

Based on your below comment what are some of the channels your would reccommend to let the dish sit on during this period?

As of 12/26 Motorola will be sending out a massive turnoff command for all of NPS's 4DTV subscribers. 4DTV Online recommends that as of 12/25 to keep your 4DTV off of any channel you can get Hit on until January 5th 2011. This will protect your current maps and tiles from anything that may be sent along with that NPS kill command and beyond. Once the 4096 EMM provider is removed on 1/4 it should be safe to go on any DC-2 channel that a data stream was or is on. All movie channel's and W5/X4 channels contain active Hit information.

Thanks,

Candid

If you wish to follow my personal recommendation. I would stay away from the HBO mux, Starz mux G1 & G5 and the channels on W5/X4 they all contain active Hit data. Your probably safer on W5/X4 then the G1 channels since the maps are there for X4 on W5/X4. Remember there is no official word on anything that can happen. I was posting this a a Safety First thing. Motorola will be sending out a massive turn off command on the 26 for all of NPS subscribers. SRL subs will not be affected by this although we don't know if something else could happen. I have seen channel maps wiped out in a minute because of a screwup in Motorola's programming before and there was never a massive turnoff on the 4D system ever before, 10,000 plus people, so were really dealing with uncharted waters. Remember this is my recommendation and not endorsed by SRL, Skyvision, Motorola etc. Myself I'd rather be safe then sorry.

If you wish to follow my personal recommendation. I would stay away from the HBO mux, Starz mux G1 & G5 and the channels on W5/X4 they all contain active Hit data. Your probably safer on W5/X4 then the G1 channels since the maps are there for X4 on W5/X4.

Are you saying to avoid G1 or just stay away from the HBO/Starz muxes???

I'll watch my W5 subs 'till 12/21 when they run out, but at night, even now, I park it on a bird with no DCII signals. After 12/21 I'll keep it offline 'till 1/5...or 6! :)

I am having "technical difficulties" in getting my BUD up and running again "before" winter!

I am taking my 922 to a BUDdies house to load up my channels and tiles but I am not sure if he has W5 mapped in. Will all the data come in just through W5-600 or do I have to go to G1-3 too??

Winter has arrived here and it feels like Minnesota!!! Between work and all the riff raff my BUD got put on the backburner. :(

Are you saying to avoid G1 or just stay away from the HBO/Starz muxes???

He is saying to stay away from any area that Motorola can get to your receiver. It is time to make sure you turn off all automatic guide updates as well. Any data stream that they, (Motorola), can use, that is anything on G1, C3, G0, GB, G9, G5, C4 and possibly a couple other satellites.
It would be better to protect yourself if you park your dish on a satellite that has no DCII signals at all for a couple of weeks.
The so called "kill" signal does not just go away in 24 hours, it is and may be sent out for a week or two weeks possibly right up to the time they pull the plug entirely.
no-body knows for sure what Motorola will do, but since they have not publicly put out a statement as to their intentions, this is just a safety precaution if you do not want to run the risk of losing any info already stored in your receivers.

At present there are no DCII channels on T6 (Galaxy 25); G3 (Galaxy 3c); G4 (Galaxy 16); T5 (Galaxy 19): W6 (AMC-6) those would be considered a safe place to park the dish and remember do not turn off your receiver. If I remember correctly there is a special item installed in them that will force your receiver to move your dish after a certain number of days if the receiver is turned off. This was mentioned years ago when they were sending out updates to the receivers.

If you can not move your dish for any reason and it is on a satellite that is receiving data from Motorola then disconnect your C-band & KU band cable from the back of your receiver. Just make sure you mark which one is which.

To turn off the Automatic Dish moving Feature: Press (Options-6-4) on remote.
#1) Allow dish moving for updates:: turn this OFF.

Last edited:
My 922 is "parked" in my basement. I am taking it to a friends house to update and then park it until the smoke settles!

My BUD is out of commission temporarily. We do not have much snow but just south of me some have a good 3 feet of snow!

He is saying to stay away from any area that Motorola can get to your receiver. It is time to make sure you turn off all automatic guide updates as well. Any data stream that they, (Motorola), can use, that is anything on G1, C3, G0, GB, G9, G5, C4 and possibly a couple other satellites.
It would be better to protect yourself if you park your dish on a satellite that has no DCII signals at all for a couple of weeks.
The so called "kill" signal does not just go away in 24 hours, it is and may be sent out for a week or two weeks possibly right up to the time they pull the plug entirely.
no-body knows for sure what Motorola will do, but since they have not publicly put out a statement as to their intentions, this is just a safety precaution if you do not want to run the risk of losing any info already stored in your receivers.

At present there are no DCII channels on T6 (Galaxy 25); G3 (Galaxy 3c); G4 (Galaxy 16); T5 (Galaxy 19): W6 (AMC-6) those would be considered a safe place to park the dish and remember do not turn off your receiver. If I remember correctly there is a special item installed in them that will force your receiver to move your dish after a certain number of days if the receiver is turned off. This was mentioned years ago when they were sending out updates to the receivers.

If you can not move your dish for any reason and it is on a satellite that is receiving data from Motorola then disconnect your C-band & KU band cable from the back of your receiver. Just make sure you mark which one is which.

To turn off the Automatic Dish moving Feature: Press (Options-6-4) on remote.
#1) Allow dish moving for updates:: turn this OFF.

Thanks for clearing this up and adding Stargaze. It may upset some that they won't be able to watch there subs for the last couple weeks if they want to be safe but we are facing a milestone with 4DTV. Those that wish to run as normal can but must remember after 1/3 or 1/4 or maybe before (I heard the guide ends on the 12/28 so G1-3 may be gone then) there will be no source for the generic maps or current satellite tiles. If Motorola wipes you out you won't be able to do anything about it (not yet at least)

The first kill stream can hang around for quite some time and then the second and final kill of the 4096 will go out at midnight on the 4th. This will shut off SRL's 4096 access. I may even wait longer myself before switching to HITS or get authorized on the 5th and go park my dish on a non DC-2 channel till the smoke clears. I have to see how things transpire. I don't want to loose my current mapping. I'm may be overly cautious but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
If Motorola sends out a kill signal i think that would be the best thing they could do for us 4dtv people.

Because it would cause harm to hundreds of people.

Which is when the class-action lawsuits come out.

I can not think of anything better then having a judge issue an emergency order against Motorola not to shutdown the 4dtv stream until a buyer is found etc..

Just my two cents

Thanks for clearing this up and adding Stargaze. It may upset some that they won't be able to watch there subs for the last couple weeks if they want to be safe but we are facing a milestone with 4DTV. Those that wish to run as normal can but must remember after 1/3 or 1/4 or maybe before (I heard the guide ends on the 12/28 so G1-3 may be gone then) there will be no source for the generic maps or current satellite tiles. If Motorola wipes you out you won't be able to do anything about it (not yet at least)

The first kill stream can hang around for quite some time and then the second and final kill of the 4096 will go out at midnight on the 4th. This will shut off SRL's 4096 access. I may even wait longer myself before switching to HITS or get authorized on the 5th and go park my dish on a non DC-2 channel till the smoke clears. I have to see how things transpire. I don't want to loose my current mapping. I'm may be overly cautious but better safe than sorry.

Feel free to post it to any of the other places for 4dtv users so no one is caught off-guard.
With NPS and their lies who knows if they send Motorola the entire list of every receiver they had ever authorized in the past and this is where it would be a nightmare.

With NPS and their lies who knows if they send Motorola the entire list of every receiver they had ever authorized in the past and this is where it would be a nightmare.

That would be a nightmare. I saw Motorola pull some funky crap with my VC2 at shutdown. Like 7-12 hits every 2-3 minutes for many many hours before I caught it and put on an analog channel. I heard a long time ago if you hit a videocipher too much at one time you can fry it, I think thats what they were trying. This may be true for the DC-2 also. Not a good thing to happen.

motorola's smartest move would be to send a kill code with new maps. if they provided tiles for all current orbitals (north america) and mapped only analog channels they would be safe from a class action. i dont see much dc2 feed hunting with my 905/920/922 after new years. entertaining either way.

crackt out,.

I think Motorola should send a firmware update that would allow us to program our receivers as a DVB STB as far as channel parameters go and a analog receiver for dish moving. This should have been designed into the 4DTV from the start since it is an IRD just like the predecessor receivers were for our buds. This BS of them controlling it from the start was never a good thing.

Last edited:
My 4D is sitting on QVC right now and will sit there after the 22nd unless needed for, ITC , analog or DVB. I'm using my Direct mostly. I hope things settle without too much crap so we can move to the new era and go forward once again. This whole year has been a dark cloud for the 4DTV and C bander's thanks to Mike Mountford and Charlie Ergan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Motorola should send a firmware update that would allow us to program our receivers as a DVC STB as far as channel parameters go and a analog receiver for dish moving. This should have been designed into the 4DTV from the start since it is an IRD just like the predecessor receivers were for our buds. This BS of them controlling it from the start was never a good thing.

what is a dvc stb ?

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.