No Line of Sight for Install... anything I can do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

czarqwerty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
The installer came today and could not find a line of sight to all 5 satelites.
My zip is 17745 and I'm getting HD. He said that Directv requires I get a 5 LNB/Swm setup even though I don't need all of them after the receivers are activated.
He was able to get a line of sight for the 3 satelites i would use but wouldn't do the install because the receivers wouldn't activate.

Did he give me correct information and is there anything else I can do?

Thanks!

What did he say was blocking the signal?

Cut some trees down? No jokes, find out and cut them down, or trim them up.

Did you suggest a pole mount? 2" post concreted into the ground at the back/side/somewhere with a los on your property.

Trees are in the way, but they are not on my property. He looked for pole mounting options as well and couldn't find anything.

have you considered ordering your account without locals, that way if you need the swm5 lnb, you could get away without it. then use an offair tuner for locals.

just a workaround suggestion.

Thanks for all the comments... here's more information. I cannot receive OTA because none of them reach me. I currently have dish network which is on 110 and 119. I'm not sure which satelites he couldn't get.

Thanks for all the comments... here's more information. I cannot receive OTA because none of them reach me. I currently have dish network which is on 110 and 119. I'm not sure which satelites he couldn't get.

Based on a zip search on TV Fool a good, well aimed roof mounted OTA antenna you should be able to get some locals.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 336
Does the OP actually require the 110 and 119 sats?

his zip is in Wilkes-Barre DMA which SD locals require 119. According to D* all of his locals are in HD but My & CW so he does need 119 (unless he doesn't care about those 2 stations). The Big4 + PBS in HD are on 103

Directv needs 99/101/103 for the "main" SD & HD channels
119 is for some locals markets which for SD locals yours is one of them (post above)

If you look to the left from behind the dish what does the line of site look like?

Iceberg, thanks for the explanations. Right now, the E* dish is barely clearing the trees for 110, 119. In a few years, I might have problems.
The E* installer had to do a tri-pod pole mount on top of my roof. The dish is about 4' above my roof. The D* installer said he didn't want to do that because the D* dish was 42 pounds and was afraid of a strong wind blowing it over.
I don't really care about CW and My too much, but the installer wouldn't try anything because he said the HR-24 receiver wouldn't activate without signal from all 5 satelites.
He did say he could get the 3 main ones, which I assume he meant 99/101/103.

charper1, thanks for the idea.
Here's how tvfool shows for my exact address. So if I'm reading it right, it will be tough to get anything.

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 326
Iceberg, thanks for the explanations. Right now, the E* dish is barely clearing the trees for 110, 119. In a few years, I might have problems.
The E* installer had to do a tri-pod pole mount on top of my roof. The dish is about 4' above my roof. The D* installer said he didn't want to do that because the D* dish was 42 pounds and was afraid of a strong wind blowing it over.
I don't really care about CW and My too much, but the installer wouldn't try anything because he said the HR-24 receiver wouldn't activate without signal from all 5 satelites.
He did say he could get the 3 main ones, which I assume he meant 99/101/103.

The HR24 works fine with the 3LNB (99/101/103). Lots of folks signing up have a HR24 and the 3 LNB. If he does it that way then the 2 SD locals wont even show in the guide

Here's how tvfool shows for my exact address. So if I'm reading it right, it will be tough to get anything.

Yep maybe so, BUT if it were me I would still set one up anyway just to see, but thats the DXer in me; cant hurt to see what you get. Here is what I get based on your addy. Wonder why the difference? Maybe worth a try with something like a Winegard HD 9095P

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

You have a lot of channels you could get with a good OTA antenna, with a rotor.
70 miles is about the extent of most antenna's, however you can get farther if you work at it, but most of your stations are much closer.

Unless your talking about just an inside antenna or a small OTA antenna.

With digital signals the HIGHER the better.

I have a full size antenna (from Radio Shack I think) at the peak of the house and get great OTA reception, I put up a rotor so I can move it and get another market as well.

The HR24 works fine with the 3LNB (99/101/103). Lots of folks signing up have a HR24 and the 3 LNB. If he does it that way then the 2 SD locals wont even show in the guide

Interesting. He said that for my area, directv requires a 5 LNB or the receiver won't activate. He mentioned that if I lived in an area nearby, they only require 3 LNB for that area. He kept saying the receiver won't activate.

A supervisor is supposed to come out and double-check. Hopefully he'll agree with you.

You have a lot of channels you could get with a good OTA antenna, with a rotor.
70 miles is about the extent of most antenna's, however you can get farther if you work at it, but most of your stations are much closer.

Unless your talking about just an inside antenna or a small OTA antenna.

With digital signals the HIGHER the better.

I have a full size antenna (from Radio Shack I think) at the peak of the house and get great OTA reception, I put up a rotor so I can move it and get another market as well.

I'm down in a small valley, so it'll be tough. But maybe I'll check Radio Shack's return policy and give it a try. I never did before because I figured I'd be wasting my time and money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts