No OTA since install in mid-June

Homer Dale

Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Brandon, MS
I have had V* for almost a month now and have yet to get any of the local channels OTA.

When the "professional" installers set me up, they connected the OTA antenna to the wrong place on the back of the STB. But even without an antenna hooked up to the proper place on the STB, the setup menu reports a OTA signal quality that bounces between 18 and 20.

I have tried a couple of antennae on my own (hooked up to the correct place on the STB) and the Sig. Quality never goes above 20.

The V* CSR is sending the "professional" installer back out tomorrow with an upgraded antenna. I suspect that the OTA tuner is bad.

Is there anything that my "professional" installer or I am overlooking? :confused:

I have had the same problem and was promised a week or two ago that I would get a call back about them coming out to upgrade my antenna, well, I have never heard from them. My problem, I believe, is that the Winegard Sensar II antenna needs to be hooked up a certain way or have a power inserter to get the necessary power to it from the STB. The only thing is neither installer (I have had two come out by now) knew how to get this thing to work. I hope you have success with your upgrade and be sure to let us know how it goes.

kaw

I'll know more tomorrow after my "professional" installer visits.

BTW - kawdawg, I've been to Ruston, Farmerville, etc, La on a fishing trip to lake D'Arbonne. Small world.

Homer Dale said:
I have tried a couple of antennae on my own (hooked up to the correct place on the STB) and the Sig. Quality never goes above 20.
Homer Dale, you probably know this, but just in case you don't: the signal readings are channel-specific. Make sure to tune to a specific OTA channel before taking the readings...

Let us know how it went with your new installer.

Reply for Ilya

Ilya said:
Make sure to tune to a specific OTA channel before taking the readings...

Let us know how it went with your new installer.

Ilya - I wrote down more specifics concerning the Sig. Quality....

OTA 12-1 WJTVD1 Signal Quality:18 ; OTA Power / SNR: 0/15.43
OTA 16-1 WAPTD1 Signal Quality:20 ; OTA Power / SNR: 0/0.00
OTA 29-1 WMPND1 Signal Quality:20 ; OTA Power / SNR: 47/0.00
OTA 40-1 WDBDD1 Signal Quality 20 ; OTA Power / SNR: 34/16.20

No call / no show on my upgrade antenna - I called customer "service" @ 6:00pm to verify the date. They had no record of a "Trouble Call". :no
The new date is 26 July.

I had another idea that might affect my OTA reception:
My roof is decked with a product called "Tech Shield", an OSB material that has aluminum foil backing. My roof is between the antenna and the transmitters. Could the aluminum foil be shielding my antenna?

Homer Dale said:
I had another idea that might affect my OTA reception:
My roof is decked with a product called "Tech Shield", an OSB material that has aluminum foil backing. My roof is between the antenna and the transmitters. Could the aluminum foil be shielding my antenna?

That will definitely kill your OTA. You will have to get the antenna above your roof line.

Jerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)