No picture on Joeys

richandgood

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I lost picture on both my Joeys. Both show the guide, and when I select a channel I want to watch, it gives the name of whats showing, the hour, etc., but no picture. Just black. I can not even watch my DVR recordings on the Joeys. They show the available DVR recordings, but when I select one, picture goes black.
Something strange is that after resetting the Joey, when I select a channel I see a message "This selection can only be done in live mode, do you wish to go live?" I select yes, but I always get a black screen. I called Dish, but they don't have a clue of whats going on. Can anyone help? Thanks,

Sorry I can't help but you should have posted this in The Hopper Zone at the top of The Dish Forum page. Maybe a Moderator will move it for you. Good luck.

Unplug everything.....including the Hopper. Plug in the Hopper wait till it kicks on....

Go plug your Joey's back in. This resolves a lot of banner only problems.

If you already did this, then good job. Try checking your moca strength:
Settings, network set up, whole home. If it says green/good should be okay. If not. Somebody is gonna have to come look at it.

Last edited:
I lost picture on both my Joeys. Both show the guide, and when I select a channel I want to watch, it gives the name of whats showing, the hour, etc., but no picture. Just black. I can not even watch my DVR recordings on the Joeys. They show the available DVR recordings, but when I select one, picture goes black.
Something strange is that after resetting the Joey, when I select a channel I see a message "This selection can only be done in live mode, do you wish to go live?" I select yes, but I always get a black screen. I called Dish, but they don't have a clue of whats going on. Can anyone help? Thanks,

That is known, in Dish terminology, as a black screen with banner. Dishman1978 has good advice, try what he said, that is known as a whole home reset. I'm disappointed, but not the least bit surprised, that whoever you talked to at Dish had no clue. If you have to call back, tell the agent to troubleshoot "black screen with banner", they darned better know what that means. They should have you, at the Hopper, go to system information to check if you have green on all your sats. If so, they'll run a check switch test, if that passes, you'll need a technician to come out, or replace the Hopper. If it gets all sats, the Hopper needs replaced, if it doesn't get all sats, will need a tech.

C'mon guys, someone has to have an idea? I did everything suggested, left Hopper and Joeys unplugged for more than an hour...nothing happens!
Somebody has to know what to do...

Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)