QUESTION ON DISTANT LOCALS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I am thinking of switching to dish network from dtv. I currently have new York and los angeles distant locals fox, cbs and nbc. what distant locals are available from dish network and are my current waivers sufficient to qualify for the distant locals??

Distant Locals are available through All American Direct. You will have to supply the information for a waiver again. Each provider of DNS has to do its own verification.

If you switch you will lose your Distants with DIRECTV ...
Be careful DTV will also replace your equipment and the new equipment will not have the distance channels if locals are available. Seen this happen on Northern Michigan

Since E* does offer locals in ALL DMA's, technically the ONLY way to get a DNS waiver through AAD, would be through an RV exemption... ;)

Not exactly.We are in the Charlotte dma here,both DTV and Dish offer only those locals to us however,AAD offers all the locals they carry with no waiver required here.It really depends on your location.No rv required.

Not exactly.We are in the Charlotte dma here,both DTV and Dish offer only those locals to us however,AAD offers all the locals they carry with no waiver required here.It really depends on your location.No rv required.
The same holds true in northern Michigan

AAD locals suck as well, the picture quality has gotten better for channel even those they are SD, but I was talking with ADD over the phone and they plan on not offering them in HD. I think its absolutely dumb of them not to do so, but cant do much about it right now.

Frankly, I'm surprised AAD is still with us.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Since E* does offer locals in ALL DMA's, technically the ONLY way to get a DNS waiver through AAD, would be through an RV exemption... ;)

That's not how it works. What AAD gives you is independent from what DISH gives you. Two separate providers. AAD does not give you locals channels, since they do not offer them, they are free to give anyone who can not get a local signal distants, as determined by a FCC program they use. It's under the "White zone" law.

AAD can give anyone wants distants the service if their address qualifies them, getting locals from DISH has no bearing the ability of getting an OTA signal does.

AAD can give anyone wants distants the service if their address qualifies them, getting locals from DISH has no bearing the ability of getting an OTA signal does.
I live in a Canyon in West Texas. When TV signals were analog , I got terrible ghosting. Now that signals are digital, I don't get a quality signal and my picture drops very often. I was able to get waivers from all my locals and get the AAD local networks. AAD did offer HD distant channels. They charged so much for them that very few bought. If they had priced them better, I would have bought. They charged more for their all network HD package than DISH charged for their 4 premium pack. It was a very poor marketing decision. The current all SD channels is priced at $14.99. About what a single premium costs.

Actually, a few months before Dish went back into the DNS business, AAD had dropped the pricing for HD DNS to something more reasonable and that is when I switched from SD DNS to HD DNS. Then Dish went into the DNS business and AAD could afford to keep the HD transponders. Then Dish dropped DNS and the business fell back to AAD.

The quandary for AAD is whether there are enough potential HD DNS users at what price point to rent 4 WA HD transponder channels. AAD was noyton EA.

I had distant networks from AAD for many years. I recently upgraded to the Hopper and the installer put in EA dish; i had in the order that I needed to keep the 119 sat in order to continue to keep my distant networks. The installers came out for 3 days and could not get 119 as part of the install even though the 119 dish and lnb is still up. Anyone else run into this problem? I have the EA sat 77, 72.7 and 61.5. Seems like including 119 should be attainable. Before I upgraded, I had four sats which had worked great for many years; 119, 110, 727, and 61.5. Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming you had 119 and 110 both on a DP twin, I would recommend installing a DP dual LNB on the 119 yoke to feed to your 1000.4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)