QUESTION ON DISTANT LOCALS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
agentc13 , I really can't thank you enough for the advice. I called a local retailer in town who is very good and he was able to get the 119 sat wing arrangement workable. Thank you - could not have done it without your help.

AAD locals suck as well, the picture quality has gotten better for channel even those they are SD, but I was talking with ADD over the phone and they plan on not offering them in HD. I think its absolutely dumb of them not to do so, but cant do much about it right now.

I have been a customer of AAD for many years and I don't agree about the picture quality - it is excellent in my opinion and it is reliable. Certainly HD is the ideal signal but the SD signal does not bother me. The value is in the channels which are made available - New York and San Fran. Their customer service agents have been super nice and will work with you to try and obtain service. They do allow billing from month to month and if you need to cancel their is no early termination fee as you are not under contract.

AAD locals suck as well, the picture quality has gotten better for channel even those they are SD, but I was talking with ADD over the phone and they plan on not offering them in HD. I think its absolutely dumb of them not to do so, but cant do much about it right now.

So first, they did have them in HD, it cost more so I don't know if there was not enough interest, or the cost for all the transponder space was just too much. So it's not dumb of them, they apparently know the market better than you might. Second, I find the PQ to be about what I would expect for SD. Nothing to rave about on my big screen, but on the 32" very watchable. I am grateful for AAD otherwise I would have no Distants. (And a brilliant move by Charlie)

I wish AAD would restore their HD feeds. At least mapdown the feed from Dish so it doesn't cost them to rent space. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place.

AAD dropped the HD Channels when Dish went back into the DNS market for two years. AAD was just getting the numbers to justify the transponder rental and than bam, most of the of the RV and Truck DNS customers were gone.

Since there isn't much sense why Dish left the DNS market this time, I think AAD is a little gun shy f renting transponders for HD and hope that customers would come. Simple business logic.

I wish AAD would restore their HD feeds. At least mapdown the feed from Dish so it doesn't cost them to rent space. I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place.

They can't just "map down" channels from DISH. They are two separate companies, and must remain so for AAD to offer Distant channels. AAD must provide the feeds.

teehar;
I`m not clear on your post about the criteria for getting distants where no waiver is required. on the aar site. I put in my zip code 92539 and got the message congrats you qualify for distants. does that mean I don`t need aar to apply for the waivers??
also. my vip 211k has not been activated by dish network. do I need to subscribe to some dish programming or does aar activate my receiver when I subscribe to their service?

You don't need any waivers for stations you qualify for because you can not get them via an antenna, using the FCC criteria. (This only applies to AAD) Apparently you are in what is called a White zone for at least some of your locals. You would only need a waiver for locals you can get from your antenna.

I don't know for certain, I believe though once AAD turns on your Distants, they will show on your receiver along with other free channels. But again, I do not know that for a fact.

Last edited:
tampa8;
thanks for your reply. you mentioned that I was in a white zone. how does one
determine the zone a zip code is in?
hopefully a forum member will be able to answer my question about aad being able to activate my receiver with a new subscription.

tampa8;
thanks for your reply. you mentioned that I was in a white zone. how does one
determine the zone a zip code is in?
hopefully a forum member will be able to answer my question about aad being able to activate my receiver with a new subscription.
Have you tried calling AAD for the answers?

You already found the way! Using the AAD site will be quite accurate as to what the FCC will say. Put in a zip and address and see what Distants you are eligible for. Any Network you are allowed to get, tells you for that local affiliate you are in a "White Zone" and unable to obtain their free signal from an antenna. And it does not go by zip code it goes by an address. One house can be considered not able to get a signal, the house next door can. Topography plays a role.

A more general way is using something like TV Fool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts