Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Had a major hail storm today with golf ball size hail that ripped thru my already hail damaged Paraclipse and I had 4 panels in the new antenna that the hail ripped thru. Plus the winds were 60+ MPH which added to the damage. So, no TV for awhile. And I can't get pre-cut mesh for either the Paraclipse or the KTI since they're both out of business. I can get mesh sheets from Skyvision but I doubt that I can cut a straight enough line. Any suggestions for cutting mesh accurately?

Bummer, I probably won't get to watch SGU next Friday. :mad::rant:

During the summer of 2005, we had a hail storm at my place that beat up my 7.5' Perfect 10 dish. I asked the insurance guy, and he said give me an estimate for replacement. I just printed out the price for an 8' orbitron from Skyvision, and they paid me $800 for it. Probably could have got more if I included the install.

Point being, get a quote for the closest thing to your Paraclipse you can find and submit it!

During the summer of 2005, we had a hail storm at my place that beat up my 7.5' Perfect 10 dish. I asked the insurance guy, and he said give me an estimate for replacement. I just printed out the price for an 8' orbitron from Skyvision, and they paid me $800 for it. Probably could have got more if I included the install.

Point being, get a quote for the closest thing to your Paraclipse you can find and submit it!

Well, I did that last summer. I got a KTI ($1900) to replace the Paraclipse last September and was covered by insurance (except for the $1000 deductible). And I hadn't fully assembled it for installation. Now, I find that I can't get factory cut mesh for the KTI. Anyway, if the insurance will take another claim, I'll have to pay the $1000 deductible for yet another antenna and I'll bet my premium goes up. If I can get a mesh panel accurately cut I'd go that route. Hail is such a big problem around here. This'll be the 6th time since I moved here in 1995. I don't see any damage to the roof from ground level but I'll bet it has damage. Good thing the car was in the garage and I didn't get any broken windows on the house but I did have 4 screens damaged and some patio door damage. A local car dealership wasn't so lucky with a bunch of broken windows and dimpled cars on their lot (new cars). Anyway, it'll be a while getting a working dish going. The wife is going to be VERY unhappy since she won't be able to watch any spanish language programming for awhile. :yikes

With all these low cost BUD manufacturers going out of business I guess we'll be paying more for a dish in the future. :eek:

Are you ku capable? Lot's of Spanish programming on several satellites on ku. If not you can pick up a dish/lnb online at a decent price.

And sorry to hear about your rough weather.

Well, I did that last summer. I got a KTI ($1900) to replace the Paraclipse last September and was covered by insurance (except for the $1000 deductible). And I hadn't fully assembled it for installation. Now, I find that I can't get factory cut mesh for the KTI. Anyway, if the insurance will take another claim, I'll have to pay the $1000 deductible for yet another antenna and I'll bet my premium goes up. If I can get a mesh panel accurately cut I'd go that route. Hail is such a big problem around here. This'll be the 6th time since I moved here in 1995. I don't see any damage to the roof from ground level but I'll bet it has damage. Good thing the car was in the garage and I didn't get any broken windows on the house but I did have 4 screens damaged and some patio door damage. A local car dealership wasn't so lucky with a bunch of broken windows and dimpled cars on their lot (new cars). Anyway, it'll be a while getting a working dish going. The wife is going to be VERY unhappy since she won't be able to watch any spanish language programming for awhile. :yikes

With all these low cost BUD manufacturers going out of business I guess we'll be paying more for a dish in the future. :eek:

Post some pics of your paraclipse. If you take your time you can straighten out mesh, I did it with mine. Holes can just be worked back in as good as you can, if the mesh isn't gone completely. I did mine with a plastic faced hammer. :)

Are you ku capable? Lot's of Spanish programming on several satellites on ku. If not you can pick up a dish/lnb online at a decent price.

And sorry to hear about your rough weather.

Nope. No Ku here. I probably should spend the bucks for an offset dish dedicated to Ku.

Post some pics of your paraclipse. If you take your time you can straighten out mesh, I did it with mine. Holes can just be worked back in as good as you can, if the mesh isn't gone completely. I did mine with a plastic faced hammer. :)

I'll have to get the dish off the mount to try that. A lot of the retaining clips for the mesh are gone also.

Turns out that I'll have to replace the new KTI in it's entirety. After closer inspection, the arms were smashed by the hail also. Skyvision is selling Samis (sp?) now. Anyone know about Prodelins or Patriot dishes?

I'd put my 10' Sami up against any brand, for my location at least, works better than any other dish I've owned. Now, I've never had a paraclipse or a birdview, but my sami does a great job.

I'll have to get the dish off the mount to try that. A lot of the retaining clips for the mesh are gone also.

Clips are easy to make, and even easier to replace. If the dish is accessible, a pair of dykes and 5 minutes, I can take a mesh panel off. Have a look at my Paraclipse thread...I did it all...even made a two piece patch panel from Winegard mesh... :D

I am the self-proclaimed KING of low-buck. Cheap if you must...I prefer economically-challenged. Post pics of ya Para, if it can be fixed, we can figure it out.

Last edited:
Has anyone used tools like this to cut mesh? 14 Gauge Swivel Head Shears or 4" Dry Tile Saw and use a metal cut-off wheel with the power saw? Cut Off Wheel, 4 D X 1/16 T, 5/8 Arbor - Depressed Center Grinding Wheels - Finishing Supplies - Power Tools & Metalworking : Grainger Industrial Supply

My 4" angle grinder has cut a lot of metal in its day but straight cuts are not my specialty. On welding a jeep frame years ago had a piece of metal find my right eye, always use eye protection after that one.

Hehe

I'd put my 10' Sami up against any brand, for my location at least, works better than any other dish I've owned. Now, I've never had a paraclipse or a birdview, but my sami does a great job.

LOL, I am right with you on the Sami! I have a 10 foot Sami and I have a 12 foot Paraclipse. The Sami kicks the mesh off of the Para for Signal Q!! The Sami is better made and designed. It also takes wind better!
That said, I would put my Sami against any brand for my location as well. You can't beat a Sami in my opinion! Birdview was a great Dish and very well made but I would still Pick a Sami over the Birdview!

Hmm, I wonder if I can use my old Dish 500 antenna until I can get something better.....

hail damage photos

You guys asked for these photos. Here they are. The dish on the ground was the new KTI dish. These are high resolution images.

Attachments

• DSCN1069.JPG
    DSCN1069.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    899 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1073.JPG
    DSCN1073.JPG
    867.4 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1074.JPG
    DSCN1074.JPG
    888.2 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN1075.JPG
    DSCN1075.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
  • DSCN1076.JPG
    DSCN1076.JPG
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN1077.JPG
    DSCN1077.JPG
    784.2 KB · Views: 246
Hmm, I wonder if I can use my old Dish 500 antenna until I can get something better.....

I read an old thread the kills this idea. Anyway, I ordered a 90 cm dish + motor + Ku LNBF from WSI this afternoon. I still still plan on replacing the BUD for C-band but I'm undecided as to whether to get another 12 footer or the cheaper 10 footer. Apparently, some people in the forum really like their 10' Sami dish. If I do order one, I hope it really is as easy to assemble as they say. I was told that the Paraclipse and the KTI were easy assemblies but I didn't find them to be so. I'm also concerned about the comment from Skyvision that Sami isn't doing too well.......

Wow. I think I'd sit down and cry. :(

That being said, I think, given some time, you could salvage the paraclipse dish. It will take more time than money, but it can be done. If I were you there's no way I'd buy a new dish, not if hail is that big of a problem....

Sorry I don't have better news. That is TERRIBLE. :(

radome cover?

Anybody use a radom for their dish? I would imagine that's expensive also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts