No Satellite Signal...Tried Everything????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Going out on a limb... Is there anything hanging above the dish - like a tree limb that has put out leaves? Because the signal comes in higher than the dish looks like it is pointing, an overhanging branch from behind can sometimes interfere. I had that happen with my first install. A tree behind the dish had an overhanging limb that drooped when it rained, killing the signal. It looked too high to cause a problem, but when I loped off the limb, my "rain fade" disappeared.
I'm guessing, by this point, someone has connected a meter to the LNB and tried to peak it with no success, so it is time to look for the unusual.
BTW, French-kissing the coax to see if there is voltage from the IRD is a good trick if you do not have a toner, but who knows how many people prececed you?

DTVSatman said:
Going out on a limb... Is there anything hanging above the dish - like a tree limb that has put out leaves? Because the signal comes in higher than the dish looks like it is pointing, an overhanging branch from behind can sometimes interfere. I had that happen with my first install. A tree behind the dish had an overhanging limb that drooped when it rained, killing the signal. It looked too high to cause a problem, but when I loped off the limb, my "rain fade" disappeared.
I'm guessing, by this point, someone has connected a meter to the LNB and tried to peak it with no success, so it is time to look for the unusual.
BTW, French-kissing the coax to see if there is voltage from the IRD is a good trick if you do not have a toner, but who knows how many people prececed you?

by shorting the lines , he meant toning, he did mention that on the phone. and he has no trees, shrubs etc. at ALL

dragon

Dragon... you said the service tech put in a new LNB pack and barreled a line to one of his RCA's and still nothing??? If that's the case it sounds line an allignment issue. Did the service tech run a new line from the LNB straight to a reciever?? I would have to say since all the recievers failed at the same time that the 5x8 is fried. Always tough to tell just by reading and not seeing hands on though.

he barreled over ONE line and left the others all connected to the 5X8. you are right i would have run a home run to one sd ird and hooked it to new lnb all by its self. bad part is the installer has the dish just hanging there so i couldnt even talk him thru that. all the guy wanted was to watch nascar today. if the dish was aimed correctly i would have had him disconnect the whole 5X8 and barrelled them all over

If it were me, I would start from scratch. Plumb the mount, set the dish elevation and point it toward the correct compass heading. Then put a meter that IDs the satellite on it with a known good LNB and peak the dish. The next objective would be to get a strong meter reading at the ground block/multiswitch. If he can't do that, anything else is wasted time.

TROUBLES in dtv land

DTVSatman said:
If it were me, I would start from scratch. Plumb the mount, set the dish elevation and point it toward the correct compass heading. Then put a meter that IDs the satellite on it with a known good LNB and peak the dish. The next objective would be to get a strong meter reading at the ground block/multiswitch. If he can't do that, anything else is wasted time.

What DTVSatman said :

If he gets a signal then run a line straight to 1 receiver ,if that works start to go between dish and check all drops from there into house.

VOOMER said:
What DTVSatman said :

If he gets a signal then run a line straight to 1 receiver ,if that works start to go between dish and check all drops from there into house.

Well put...

I guess we all should have started at the dumbest and easiest step. Is the multi switch pluged in?? And if so... is the outlet live. Believe it or not.. this happened to me. I plugged the muliswitch into an outlet in a utility room not knowing that the uotlet was controled by a wall switch ( neither did the customer as it was a new home for them) the lost all signal and after about 15 minutes on the phone we found the switch controled the outlet. They felt worse about the deal then I did.

NiFi said:
The very first thing I would check would before tearing anything more apart would be signal at the dish, removing all the lines there and using a self powered meter, ( birdog, channelmaster ) Once lnb and dish are online, backtrace from there, but at this point i would have to agree with the Fried 5x8 or its power supply got unplugged or is junk.
Said all that 6 posts earlier. :yes

I would start by checking the receivers for voltage @ satellite input connection.I have seen a lot of receivers that will power up but don't send the voltage out to the dish.Mostly cause from either power surge or near by lightning strike.

Status
Please reply by conversation.