No signal from F1 or F2 satellite.

Showtime has all the good info. If you had previously had the tech change the v-codes in the shaw system for your southern receiver, then you should take it to a friend's house with the Xku lnb. Hook it up and then call or online do a rehit. You have to be on a working channel so the new info can be sent from Shaw. And I agree with Showtime that the 4378 code only will be in place in a short while. Try some of the channel numbers he suggested to get a signal at the friend's house.

This would be the quickest way for you to get on track. There are other ways, but more time consuming.

Catamount

Reactions: showtime
hi Mellaby. I am in Casa Grande. I followed showtime's suggestion and got a friend's receiver here and show a signal strength of 95.
I then called Shaw and after some clicking around, they think it is the receiver and wanted to send me a new one. I told them we were going away and didn't want the new one arriving until we get home. I now have to call them again when we 'get home'.
HOWEVER, I'm not sure what is going on. Immediately after I reaimed my dish and got the the 95 signal, I connected my receiver and get under 20 on the signal bar depending on the channel I'm on.
My brother's receiver also shows 0 on the tuners.As you may have read above, both of these receivers have been unplugged since March.
G

4320 is for the old lnb, so you should get channels 2, 3, 4 5 for sure down there but not 001 for example, so tune to a known working channel and try again to tune your dish. Once you have a signal you still may not have a picture until you get a refresh. A refresh will not work unless you have a signal.
then check these numbers again, if after a refresh your numbers change to Loading 0-4378 wait until it changes to Exists 539-4378 before changing channels as it is down loading the new information. ( the 539 # is not important just the potential channels you have in your programming)
If it does chnge to 4378 then you will need to put the New xku lnb back on and throw the old one away.

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts and really appreciate the time you are taking to address each inquiry. I just installed an xku LNB on my dish a week ago in Goodyear AZ and get the same limited channels on all 4 receivers that must be coming from 2 of 3 satellites only as I am too far south, and so I don't know why I bothered to change and might change it back to the old LNB because one of my receivers works intermittently whenever it feels like it. When I do an LNB scan on each receiver, it says I have quad band even though I know it's an xku. One of my receivers is using map 4378 and has the new national channel line-up starting at Channel 100....while the other 3 receivers(including the intermittent one) are using map 4320 and have a channel line-up starting at 002 which I think is the Classic line-up. What difference if any if I change the one receiver from 4378 to 4377?

Last edited:
hi Mellaby. I am in Casa Grande. I followed showtime's suggestion and got a friend's receiver here and show a signal strength of 95.
I then called Shaw and after some clicking around, they think it is the receiver and wanted to send me a new one. I told them we were going away and didn't want the new one arriving until we get home. I now have to call them again when we 'get home'.
HOWEVER, I'm not sure what is going on. Immediately after I reaimed my dish and got the the 95 signal, I connected my receiver and get under 20 on the signal bar depending on the channel I'm on.
My brother's receiver also shows 0 on the tuners.As you may have read above, both of these receivers have been unplugged since March.
G
Did Shaw tell you to do a master reset on the receiver?

Hi All. At the expense of repeating myself, I would like to recap today's event and perhaps SHOWTIME and others will comment.
This morning I borrowed a working receiver from a friend and connected it to my dish. I then tweaked the aiming and got a signal strength of 90 and tv.
I immediately disconnected the friend's box and put mine in it's place. The best signal I now get is about 20 and of course a red indicator on the front.
I texted Shaw and asked for a V code update. They said all my receivers have been updated. I told them this faulty box was not plugged in when the Tech sent the updates. After having me change to several different channels, they insisted the box is faulty. Do I assume that without a green light, nothing can be changed or reprogrammed ?

The problem is that my brother's receiver doesn't work either and he lives about a city block away. Remember that both of us left our receivers in Az and unplugged since March. Are they both faulty and need replacing or is this a programming issue gone bad/
Is there anything else we can do other than packing them up and dealing with it there?
Thanks again for everyone's help. G

4378 will only work with the new Xku lnb, the 4320's will only work for the old LNB. Either setup will still only get F1 & F2 channels down south.
At some point the 4320's will be automatically changed to 4378 and the old lnb's will be completely useless.
Shaw is switching everyone to the same system whether you like it or not. I have not even heard of a 4377 V-code, but I am out west. They might possibly be using that for people that live back east. If so it would still only be for the new XKU.(also you can not change it .only shaw can)

So to re-cap for everyone:
At some point everyone will be on the national line up with the XKU lnb. The Classic and Advanced maps will be shut down permanently.
You need to throw the old Dual lnb away and put the new XKU in. This is important for the V-code! This alone is why people are having trouble aiming their dish. You have to be on a working channel to be able to aim the dish. If your dish was aimed properly, it is only a matter of changing out the lnb, finding a channel that works if you do not already have 4378 and call shaw to have it changed. once it finishes loading you will have the normal channels you had before but with new channel numbers. or maybe easier for people to have the Vcode change while on a working channel on the old lnb and once receivers are ready then change lnb out. (DO NOT Move the dish if it was working before on the old lnb! )
Only 600 & 800 series receivers work now, anything older throw it away.
Cheers

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts and really appreciate the time you are taking to address each inquiry. I just installed an xku LNB on my dish a week ago in Goodyear AZ and get the same limited channels on all 4 receivers that must be coming from 2 of 3 satellites only as I am too far south, and so I don't know why I bothered to change and might change it back to the old LNB because one of my receivers works intermittently whenever it feels like it. When I do an LNB scan on each receiver, it says I have quad band even though I know it's an xku. One of my receivers is using map 4378 and has the new national channel line-up starting at Channel 100....while the other 3 receivers(including the intermittent one) are using map 4320 and have a channel line-up starting at 002 which I think is the Classic line-up. What difference if any if I change the one receiver from 4378 to 4377?

I'd like to add this, though I would like someone with installation experience to confirm it:

Some recent posters have talked about their signal levels. It's been my (limited) experience that if you are getting a signal level of 0 (DEAD ZERO, that is) it is because your receiver and your LNB are not communicating due to a problem with the receiver, the LNB, the connectors, or the coax. The last time I had a signal of zero it was because a connector was rusted and was shorting out.

On the other hand, if you get a signal level of 10 or 20, it's sign that your receiver and LNB are communicating, but either the dish is not aimed correctly or there is a line-of-sight obstruction. (Yes....your receiver will show a very low signal level even if the dish is totally mis-pointed.)

Hope this helps.....

I have been waiting for a fellow camper who has a computerized dish on his roof. All for not as it can't lock onto the satellite either. Anyone know why it cannot find it? I was hoping to use it to refresh my receivers.

Any winegard dish prior to Nov 2017 needs an expensive upgrade to lock into the new shaw Mpeg 4 signal.
GPS unit in the motor turrent has to be replaced as well as the controller inside.

Hi Everyone - just arrived in Benson AZ to our house here and things aren't going too well. I see others are having issues as well. I have the Shaw 75 cm dish that was working great with a new Triple Satellite Quad Output xKu LNB last year with my old 630 PVR. That PVR was about to die (hard disk was squealing) so I got a new HDPVR 830 for free and thanked my lucky stars. Got down here, hooked it up and satellite signal is lost, the 830 PVR says, with the dish in the same place it was last year. The best I can do is Ecb of 3.0 Db on channel 114 on F2. I get 75, (EcbNo. 3.0 Db) on channel 200 on F2. I need a refresh but don't have the signal to do it. I used a Winegard SF1000 to initiallly find where Dishpointer.com says F2 should be but the signal isn't too strong on the SF1000. Plan B is me on the roof with the wife yelling "stronger"/"weaker" to get the above results. The 830 still says the satellite signal is lost. I'm using map 4321 that Shaw told me to use(my other option is 4320), Firmware 60.33, Tuner 2 disabled. The 830 only intermittently sees the LNB when I do an LNB scan, cables seem fine. It sometimes says it's a Quadband LNB. After chatting to Shaw for an hour they wished me luck on my own. Help! The CFL Playoffs are on this Sunday and if I don't get this working I'm toast.

This has all been covered in previous posts. "Do Not Move the Dish"! leave the rec on 4321, then find a channel that works down there like 002 or 003, if you can not change to them because your rec is set for factory default try 396 or 291. It really does not matter what channel as long as you get a signal. then you can get a refresh. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes to load. your firmware also need to be updated, that will take 45 min if you do it manually. otherwise it will dl at 3am as long as you turn the unit off before bed.

Hello All. Call me EXASPERATED !!!
In my previous posts I detailed how my HDPVR630 (unplugged all summer), would not receive any signal (-10dB) when turned on in Arizona. It seems that it may have gotten a signal initially, started a download, then somehow lost it's signal. I then borrowed a friend's receiver and had a good signal and programming so it's not an antenna problem.

Since that time, I had a conversation with Shaw who determined it was a faulty 630. They sent a replacement to my Cdn address and I had it forwarded to me here in Az. I have attached 3 screen pictures showing the chain of events. I installed the xku and connected the new receiver. After tweaking the dish, I was getting a solid 88 (6.3 dB) signal. I called in a refresh and after leaving things alone for over an hour, my signal disappeared.
Is it possible that Shaw, when the tech upgraded the programming last summer, set my receivers to hear the new G2 only?
In hindsight I should have gotten my son to plug this new receiver in and let it do the updates at my home address, or alternately, just shipped me a working receiver from my home.
I note that others mention changing the mapping or programming manually. Is that an option for me, and if so, how?
Thank you anyone, all, for your replies. Gary

20191126_130843.jpg
20191126_114902.jpg
20191126_111309.jpg
20191126_111309.jpg

I don't see any where that you mention your dish size? Assuming you have the larger 75cm dish for that far down your (solid 88 (6.3 dB) signal ) is not very good. It is not possible for Shaw to set you to only 1 satellite like G1 etc. It is possible however for you to be aimed to only 1 satellite. In which case you would have to turn the dish a fraction to the west. If you have no signal on 212 or 213 try moving the dish slightly west and peak it if you get signal.
If you have a 60cm dish, replace it with a 75cm. You can now also take this rec to a know good working dish to see if the rec is ok.

Hi All. I would be remiss if I didn't write to say I finally got my receiver working!!!
Just a recap for anyone still struggling.
Our Original HDPVR630 was left in Arizona all summer connected to the 75cm dish but the trailer was unplugged from power. This fall, it would not work and was replaced by Shaw.
The new one was connected with it's new xku lnb, and aimed (perhaps to F1) and got a 88 signal. It started to download and even sent a refresh signal before we lost the satellite connection.

With thanks to Showtime, I moved the dish west and then got on the right satellite and a good 95 signal. I did not have to refresh as I mentioned before because it did that previously.

Interestingly, I can get 212,213,214 etc, all HD channels but not 217 HD (Chek Victoria). I assume that is because it is only on the G1 sat ?
Anyway thanks again for all the help and patience. Gary

Where are you located in AZ. I might be able to help you out.
Hi All:

The light just came on! I think I finally figured out what Showtime has been trying to tell us. What I have been seeing as Intermittent drop out of the receiver with respect to the satellites is in fact not intermittent at all. It is dependent upon the channel I selected and the way the map works. I originally thought that my receiver was not being properly refreshed because of not receiving the refresh on the new satellite, but the refresh only affects subscribed programming and not reception. I also tried resets without success.

I now realize that the latest map (4378) tells the receivers which of the three satellites to look to for the channel selected. We know we can receive F1 and F2 and that we cannot receive the new one. It appears that when we select a channel, one of the two tuners checks the map, then looks to one of the three satellites, finds the correct one, and lastly finds the correct channel. When the two tuners are being asked to receive channels that are mapped to F1 or F2 everything works. As soon as we select a channel that the map says now resides on the new satellite, we get the Lost signal error, obviously because there is no signal from the new satellite. If we immediately go back to one of the known channels that are on F1 or F2 the tuner locks on and we have a signal again.

I'm attaching a list of the channels that are located on F1 and F2 and can be received in the Phoenix area. If you are having difficulty it could be as simple as asking for a channel that is mapped to the new satellite and not available here.

Hope this helps a few of you.

Attachments

• Channels on F1 and F2 Nov 2019.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 329
The 4378 is the only code that will be working going forward. All the others are discontinued. Shaw is the only one that can change it.
That is why I told you to take it to a know good working dish, put it on a channel that gets a signal, then Call Shaw (not from an American number either)
and have them change the V-code in your receiver to the new 4378 wait till it loads, then you can go back to your dish and re-aim it. Basically the same thing as if you were at home.
Now you could always just borrow a friend's receiver as well, bring it to your place and tune in your dish. Then you know your good to go.
The only trick that nobody seems to realize anymore is that you have to be on a know working channel to aim the dish or receive a hit/refresh and the channels that work will have different numbers depending what V code or lnb you are using until everyone is on the new one.
I'm curious about you suggestion to use a friends receiver that works, so that someone can aim their dish. I use a Super Buddy meter to aim satellite dishes. It's programmed to look for the 107 and 111 satellites. And it alerts you when you hit those satellites. The 111 is still there but the 107 is gone...completely. I've read that Shaw has changed the orbital position of one of their satellites. It wasn't disclosed which one but I feel it's obvious that it was the 107.

Hi All:

The light just came on! I think I finally figured out what Showtime has been trying to tell us. What I have been seeing as Intermittent drop out of the receiver with respect to the satellites is in fact not intermittent at all. It is dependent upon the channel I selected and the way the map works. I originally thought that my receiver was not being properly refreshed because of not receiving the refresh on the new satellite, but the refresh only affects subscribed programming and not reception. I also tried resets without success.

I now realize that the latest map (4378) tells the receivers which of the three satellites to look to for the channel selected. We know we can receive F1 and F2 and that we cannot receive the new one. It appears that when we select a channel, one of the two tuners checks the map, then looks to one of the three satellites, finds the correct one, and lastly finds the correct channel. When the two tuners are being asked to receive channels that are mapped to F1 or F2 everything works. As soon as we select a channel that the map says now resides on the new satellite, we get the Lost signal error, obviously because there is no signal from the new satellite. If we immediately go back to one of the known channels that are on F1 or F2 the tuner locks on and we have a signal again.

I'm attaching a list of the channels that are located on F1 and F2 and can be received in the Phoenix area. If you are having difficulty it could be as simple as asking for a channel that is mapped to the new satellite and not available here.

Hope this helps a few of you.
Do you know the orbital locations of the Shaw satellites? Previously, it was the 107 and the 111 satellites. You've mentioned that there are three satellites. I'm not aware of a third Shaw satellite. Satellite orbital location 111 is still present but the 107 is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts