No Voom for me

EricTheRed

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
NW Oregon
I have been lurking around this site for a month now and I decided to finally take the plunge and ordered Voom. Heck, I figured that since I have a C/Ku band that can see almost Horizion to Horizion, and a D* w/ Ultimate TV, and a Satalite Internet, a voom dish would be a no-brainer. I was wrong. The installer came out (almost a week early) this past sunday, looked around to see if there was a good spot to setup the dish, and concluded that unless I wanted to put up another tower (ok, 30' pole) I wouldnt be able to receive the signal. The Voom bird is just 11 degrees above the horizion at 92 Degrees East. My D* is pointing mostly south. Bummer. Well back to looking at the D* HD Tivo or perhaps the HD220 for my 4Dtv on the bud. Any thoughts?

I'd either get a second opinion from another installer or put up another tower. :D It's worth it in my opinion.

EricTheRed said:
The Voom bird is just 11 degrees above the horizion at 92 Degrees East.
So, what kind of obstruction do you have there? Trees? Buildings?

I live along a river in NW oregon, The Nehalem River, I am in an East/West valley. There are trees and hills. The Hills were not the real problem, the trees did me in. Mostly Alder, and Maple but there are some evergreens as well.
-Eric

EricTheRed said:
I live along a river in NW oregon, The Nehalem River, I am in an East/West valley. There are trees and hills. The Hills were not the real problem, the trees did me in. Mostly Alder, and Maple but there are some evergreens as well.
-Eric
Sounds nice. Now I'm thinkin' maybe you don't need more tv! :D Perhaps a tent, and a canoe or some hiking boots... :yes

Heh, we "rough it smoothly" It is true, our HD is ouside our window. There have been a couple of bald eagles fighting for territory outside our back door every evening around 5:30 or so... quite the sight to see. However, Santa brought me a Pioneer PDP-434CMX for Christmas and I have no HD to send to it.... So I am still investigating my options. The installer (didnt know much) but did say that the new Sat might work out if they move some of the programing to it. That bird should be around 15 degrees above the horizion.
-Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)