<noflame>Tell me V00m doesn't suck.</noflame>

DarrellP said:
Juan, it's not that you didn't read their website, all the issues you are posting about have been covered here a million or so times. If you would read through or search for your issues, you would easily find them. We have been getting a bunch of new users here who bitch and moan about their crappy install and saying the exact same thing you are. We just get tired of answering the same complaints over and over and over and over. I hope you understand and I apologize if I was too hard on you.

Then it's all cool homie! Should I have read this forum first? BIGTIME! Just didn't know how to Google on problems I'm going to have. :)

wasch_24 said:
The responses you are receiving are really of your own making. The tone generated in your original post has carried over into the responses. It's all about intent...when emotions are high you really have to read your post before hitting submit. It is very easy to mis-interperet emotion in forums like this.

Uh OK, I can understand folks getting defensive ( I get the same way about Tivo), but I did try to instanciate the <noflame> tag to make sure readers understood that I'm not looking to dog Voom. I'm looking for reasons why they don't suck.

Thanks Ilya!

Ilya said:
Since you installed the OTA antenna yourself, are you sure it is pointing in the right direction, and are you sure you connected it correctly? There are five coaxial connectors on the back of the STB. Make sure you connect to the OTA tuner module. See here for pictures and details.

Thanks ILYA,
I used your picture to do the original setup. The installer did not leave behind the power inserter for the antenna preamp, so that's likely my problem.
Unless this drawing has been deprecated ? http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-1rcvr.pdf

juan,

Like Ilya said check your connections. If your connections are fine, check that your locals are in your PG. If that's fine, it has to be either an antenna that is not pointing in the right direction. Tune to any local channel on VOOM that you can get with Tivo and go to the system settings and post your quality and strength signal strength for OTA.

juanl0b0 said:
The installer did not leave behind the power inserter for the antenna preamp, so that's likely my problem.
Very well could be!

You guyz don't suck

The jury is still out for me on Voom, but you guys are great thanks for the help!

BTW Signal strength on locals is 0

juanl0b0 said:
Sorry, just thought the previous shot at me was way unfair. Maybe you could comment explain to folks that people looking for help aren't looking to be told they should have read the website.
THIS TAKES THE CAKE. HE IS LOOKING FOR HELP AND STARTS THE THREAD TITLE WITH "TELL ME VOOM DOESNT SUCK"?

juanl0b0 said:
The jury is still out for me on Voom, but you guys are great thanks for the help!

BTW Signal strength on locals is 0

Actually, that's good information. Contact VoOM (I think you have already) and put a service call. You need to have that antenna properly installed.

vurbano said:
THIS TAKES THE CAKE. HE IS LOOKING FOR HELP AND STARTS THE THREAD TITLE WITH "TELL ME VOOM DOESNT SUCK"?

Actually Vurbano, I started it [NoFlame] as in, tell me that they don't suck, cuz right now it looks to me like they do and I want to see if they don't. Ironcially no one has really responded that with reasons why they don't suck, mosty just with reasons why I do.

Help me understand why I should overlook the problems I've had with their customer service and the fact that they lack a PVR and Ethernet interface. Help me understand what you like so much about the service thatwould compel you to take a question like mine so personally.

I'm trying to give Voom advocates a way to tell me whats so cool, not attack you as a person. Again enjoy your cake I'll give it to you willingly!

juanl0b0 said:
Sorry, just thought the previous shot at me was way unfair. Maybe you could comment explain to folks that people looking for help aren't looking to be told they should have read the website.

Well when you jump in head first and tell people that voom sucks on a forum where most of the people with voom actually think the opsite, what do you expect? ;)

Too bad you didn't find this forum FIRST!!

I think everybody here would agree that a lot of the installers (some? half? most?) are a joke and a PR problem for Voom, but that probably goes for any satellite install, not just Voom -- they use the same guys. Go read some of the REAL BAD install horror stories and you'll feel better. ;)

Phone calls to the mother ship are a pain with so many people calling in now. The first CSR I got was the best. The 2 or 3 after that sounded like their first day on the job and knew less about Voom than I got from just reading the Voom website and from this forum. I've been reading this forum since February then switched over a month ago.

Sean Mota is the man with the answers around here.* But I will add one bit of advice that applies after you get your overnight sw upgrade, and after you get your dish repeaked, etc.... If the HD premium channels really look to you exactly like their SD counterparts, then perhaps your STB is running in some lo-rez mode -- rendering both channels in 480i or whatever. Use the red button behind the door to change your mode to Native (or whatever works for your HDTV). There are tons of discussions about this on this forum.

After you get your issues resolved, give the Voom exclusives a chance to grow on you. They are offering a new way to enjoy HDTV that you can't get anywhere else.

-----------------------
Footnote:
*Didn't mean to exclude Ilya, DarrelIP, and others. Lots of helpful folks around here!

Uh I never said they suck!

I said, "tell me that they don't", right now it looks to me like a prettydisappointing implementation of a Satellite company, tell me why it's not?!

I can tell you why Tivo doesn't suck, I can tell you why Dish network does, I can tell you why my Pronto doesn't suck, I can tell why Comcast does.

I'm looking for people to tell me why they don't.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Too bad you didn't find this forum FIRST!!

I think everybody here would agree that a lot of the installers (some? half? most?) are a joke and a PR problem for Voom, but that probably goes for any satellite install, not just Voom -- they use the same guys. Go read some of the REAL BAD install horror stories and you'll feel better. ;)

Phone calls to the mother ship are a pain with so many people calling in now. The first CSR I got was the best. The 2 or 3 after that sounded like their first day on the job and knew less about Voom than I got from just reading the Voom website and from this forum. I've been reading this forum since February then switched over a month ago.

Sean Mota is the man with the answers around here. But I will add one bit of advice that applies after you get your overnight sw upgrade, and after you get your dish repeaked, etc.... If the HD premium channels really look to you exactly like their SD counterparts, then perhaps your STB is running in some lo-rez mode -- rendering both channels in 480i or whatever. Use the red button behind the door to change your mode to Native (or whatever works for your HDTV). There are tons of discussions about this on this forum.

After you get your issues resolved, give the Voom exclusives a chance to grow on you. They are offering a new way to enjoy HDTV that you can't get anywhere else.

Thanks for some insightful thinking. Your probably right about all installers, which seems to beg for a self-install kit and a good maual.

Just to answer the "suck" question, not all the technical issues have been addressed one way or another.

Why VOOM does not sucks?

1 - Who else is putting more money into HD Technology than VOOM? Look at ESPN for example. We waited a whole year to get this new SportsCenter in HD and the only HD we get is the SportsCenter facility itself. Baltimore vs Yankees are in HD and there are a tons of HD highlights out there and they cannot do it right. My question to those that said that their editing is not ready. Why is HDnews getting these highlights?

2- Who else is going to give you: Starz-HD (East & West), Encore-HD, TMC-HD, BravoHD+, Cinemax-HD (East & West), Playboy HD. Also, two feeds in HD of HBO and Showtime.

3- PVR, sure VoOM does not have one out. But look at the candidates 921 from Dish and Tivo from DirecTv. Each one costs $900. But where is the content? Personally, that's a breaking deal for me. They do not have all the cahnnels I liste on 2 (except for HBO and Showtime).

4- Sure there are some cable companies that happen to offer a very competitive lineup of channels inlcuding INHD. Good because mine is not as competitive as VOOM.

5- Those 21 exclusives HD may not satisfy anyone's desire but to me they are gold. They are only getting better with time and VOOM is making the commitment to improve them. Think for a minute that HD content does not exists in a store where you have the money and say I want to order 200 HD films. No you have to pay for the rights to the movies or the program and if its not HD you need to do the convertion yourself or pay for it. So this is as good as it gets.

6- Sure there are problems with VOOM. We don't try to hide them. The stb could be better, the customer support could be better, everything could be better. But point to me a service that is flawless ---??? IMHO the good outweights the bad...

This is why VOOM does not sucks. Charlie Ergen still saying that there was no compelling HD channels yet he added TNT-HD which has no compelling HD content :).

7- VOOM is committed to add HD channels. The others are committed add locals.

I think Sean just covered everything that can be said just about why Voom doesn't suck. I love it and am getting rid of Comcast as soon as I can compare the Braves game in a couple days (I'm in Atlanta) with Voom just for curiosity sake, I want to see if Voom OTA gets the HD feed for TBS (local Atlantans get a great feed of TBS already, great picture and Dolby Digital, :p to other cities). Comcast is supposedly showing the game in HD on TBS, future TBS stuff should come in HD for us too hopefully...

Anyway, I personally love the Voom exclusives, ESPECIALLY MonstersHD. I was a little weary at first but this weekend I can watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Dawn of the Dead (original), just to name a few!

Sean, you have the patience of a Saint, how do you do it? It's great to have you as a Moderator. Thanks for sticking around and not giving up on Voom when the going got tough.

Finally!!

Sean Mota said:
Just to answer the "suck" question, not all the technical issues have been addressed one way or another.

Why VOOM does not sucks?

1 - Who else is putting more money into HD Technology than VOOM? Look at ESPN for example. We waited a whole year to get this new SportsCenter in HD and the only HD we get is the SportsCenter facility itself. Baltimore vs Yankees are in HD and there are a tons of HD highlights out there and they cannot do it right. My question to those that said that their editing is not ready. Why is HDnews getting these highlights?

2- Who else is going to give you: Starz-HD (East & West), Encore-HD, TMC-HD, BravoHD+, Cinemax-HD (East & West), Playboy HD. Also, two feeds in HD of HBO and Showtime.

3- PVR, sure VoOM does not have one out. But look at the candidates 921 from Dish and Tivo from DirecTv. Each one costs $900. But where is the content? Personally, that's a breaking deal for me. They do not have all the cahnnels I liste on 2 (except for HBO and Showtime).

4- Sure there are some cable companies that happen to offer a very competitive lineup of channels inlcuding INHD. Good because mine is not as competitive as VOOM.

5- Those 21 exclusives HD may not satisfy anyone's desire but to me they are gold. They are only getting better with time and VOOM is making the commitment to improve them. Think for a minute that HD content does not exists in a store where you have the money and say I want to order 200 HD films. No you have to pay for the rights to the movies or the program and if its not HD you need to do the convertion yourself or pay for it. So this is as good as it gets.

6- Sure there are problems with VOOM. We don't try to hide them. The stb could be better, the customer support could be better, everything could be better. But point to me a service that is flawless ---??? IMHO the good outweights the bad...

This is why VOOM does not sucks. Charlie Ergen still saying that there was no compelling HD channels yet he added TNT-HD which has no compelling HD content :).

7- VOOM is committed to add HD channels. The others are committed add locals.

Sean again thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I think you confirmed all the reasons that I was excited about Voom to begin with. And to add to your point, the one thing that absolutely doesn't suck is that they are ( even poorly implemented) a Satellite company disrupting the other guys and prodding them to get HD content on their birds. Oh ya and Charlie Ergen really sucks.

juanl0b0 ... I empathize with you. I was disappointed with Voom too. I do not think the problem with it (in my case) was service was much as I it was expectation. I have DirecTV, and on DirecTV I have 210 channels. About 160 contain sh!t, rather than programming. with Voom I had like 80, and 70 of them were again &%$. I also noted many PQ issues and did not care for the software installed on thier hardware.

So either way you look at it there are pro and cons. The only thing Voom offers is HD, for me that was not enough. I cancelled with several free months remaining and I am just hoping they are acquired. They do have more HD than anyone for sure, but that does not mean programming will be better. In all fairness , D*, E*, & C* do not necessarly have better programming but they have had thier growing pains ... Voom will sink or swim, I am thinking they have a chance, if they remain the HD leader.

slacker9876 said:
juanl0b0 ... I empathize with you. I was disappointed with Voom too. I do not think the problem with it (in my case) was service was much as I it was expectation. I have DirecTV, and on DirecTV I have 210 channels. About 160 contain sh!t, rather than programming. with Voom I had like 80, and 70 of them were again &%$. I also noted many PQ issues and did not care for the software installed on thier hardware.

So either way you look at it there are pro and cons. The only thing Voom offers is HD, for me that was not enough. I cancelled with several free months remaining and I am just hoping they are acquired. They do have more HD than anyone for sure, but that does not mean programming will be better. In all fairness , D*, E*, & C* do not necessarly have better programming but they have had thier growing pains ... Voom will sink or swim, I am thinking they have a chance, if they remain the HD leader.

Thanks for a balancing response. And your right crappy content at 1080i or 10000p is still crappy content. Now I've got to get back to that hard hitting news report from Yosemite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts