Noob question about LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phastphil

Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
:confused: I just bought a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic receiver with 36" dish and universal single lnbf. I got this system to access IA5. I got my dish mounted and proceeded to follow the receiver setup and got "LNBP" on my receiver display. The manual states the cause is "overload of the maximum available LNB power (short circuit in the LNB cable)". And it goes on to list the solution as "disconnect the main power and ask your dealer to check the LNB cable". I used brand new coax cable and am not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Phil in Tucson

It's always bad to give advice like this, but....

First, If it's under warranty don't do anything that might void it.

These are things that you could do:

Visually check the cable to see if you might have bent the center conductor.
Do you have a meter? I'd ohm out the cable to check for a short.

If Yes (shorted) then try another cable. (RG 59 will work in a pinch.)
The LNB could be shorted instead of the cable. The impedance should be 75 ohms.
The Fortec input could be shorted as well.
If it were mine, (Might not be recommended by Fortec.) I'd disconnect the cable and see if the error message went away.

Since it's new, and if you don't detect a short in the cable or lnb, I'd take it back (obviously).

I don't know what sort of overload protection the Fortec might have, but it obviously has something! Good news.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I will give the cable a try. I think I kinked it pretty good at one point. Again thanks.

I hope that you have luck. I'd most likely expect a short at the connectors of the cable.

I've been thinking that if you don't see anything obvious, that you might want to wait to see if anyone on this forum has had a similar problem. There's always a chance that it might be something completely unrelated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)