noob - set up help - what receivers to get

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

diestler

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Denver
I am currently a DISH customer and have been for a long time. Considering switching to Directv to take advantage of their new customer deals. Basically, it looks like you can get a whole home hd dvr receiver and up to 3 hd receivers for $99 plus free installation. I'm just wondering what I should be getting. I have 2 hdtvs and 2 sdtvs. I would like whole home dvr, but do I need hd receivers to use that? Do I even need boxes on all tvs (the whole home has 5 tuners)? Will they even work on my sdtvs? Is it cheaper to just buy the hd receivers/remotes (2 years+ at $6/mo each adds up)? If so, good place to buy them? I was reading you can't pause live hd on direct - is that right? Any other crazy difference between direct and dish? Any other tips/advice? Thanks in advance.

Basically, it looks like you can get a whole home hd dvr receiver and up to 3 hd receivers for $99 plus free installation. I'm just wondering what I should be getting.
$99 gives you the HMC which is the 5 tuner receiver. If you go the free route it would be the 2 tuner HD DVR

I have 2 hdtvs and 2 sdtvs. I would like whole home dvr, but do I need hd receivers to use that?
yes. Whoile home only works with HD receivers

Do I even need boxes on all tvs (the whole home has 5 tuners)?
While the home media center (HMC) has 5 tuners it is only one output. You could hook up other TV's but they have to see whatever the HMC sees. Using extra receivers in other rooms gives you extra tuners in there

Will they even work on my sdtvs?
yes

Is it cheaper to just buy the hd receivers/remotes (2 years+ at $6/mo each adds up)
you pay the $6 a month for each receiver regardless. Also most receivers are leased anyways so even if you buy one from say solidsignal it is still a lease

Iceberg answered most of your quetions.

The HD receivers can not pause live tv. With the HR34 you have 5 tuners it is worth it for $99. All you have to do is start a program recording if you want to pause at one of the HD receivers. Then pick it back up from the list.

Thanks guys, this helps a lot - so to summarize (I don't mind paying $99 up front) - it sounds like I would be okay getting a whole home dvr (hr34) plus 3 hd receivers (hr25?). I'm still not sure I understand why you can't pause live tv - I hope you can rewind? I'm guessing it's a simple fix, would just take awhile getting used to it, as we pause our live tv on DISH all the time.

If you go to directv.com and select your programming package, then add the hmc to tv1, then 3 hd receivers for the other tvs, it doesn't say what models you will get. Does anyone know?

If you request the HMC you'll get that
The HD receivers can be H21,22,23,24 or 25. Other than the H25 being tiny there is really no difference between the others. The HD receivers model # doesnt mean much..they all work the same
The DVR model does make a difference but since you said the HMC thats what you'll get

The HD receivers have their own tuner in them. They dont rely on a tuner on the HR34 (HMC) like the Dish receivers usually do.

Thanks everyone. Now to make the choice to jump over to Directv to not.

What are you wanting from D* that E* (Dish) doesn't give you ?
What are you expecting from D* ?
Why are you considering leaving ?

Overall, I personally would look to the provider that supplies you the programming you need first and foremost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts