Noob trying to install a FTA system

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now you see why we recommend a proper dish for a noobie.
One less thing to worry about.
I think you are very close.
But if you are going to give up and spend money, get a proper 90 cm dish.
http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_cat=470
After you get going and gain some experience, we'll help you aim your old dish at another bird and add new stations :up
?(maybe 30 west)

said that the focal length for my antenna (Dish Network Superdish) is 21.75"
On an offset dish, that would be measured from the bottom lip of the dish.
When you get it repositioned, maybe the mirrors and a street lamp a block or so away, as a light source? Haven't had to do it, just thinkun.:eek:
Wouldn't it be nice if the measurement to the top lip were also noted?
Then the exact focal point would be known.

Just remember, to aim at the street lamp, the face of the dish may be pointed at the ground half way to the pole it's on.

Instead of concrete, hold the pole plumb, and tamp in gravel or small rock. Have some 'wings' on the bottom of pole or a piece of ready rod thru a couple of holes to prevent it from turning. Then if it's not permanent, pull out the pole, the gravel level drops, cover with dirt.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help. I tested the dish with mirrors this weekend and I never could find the focus. The best I could do was to get two points focused. I've decided to stop with this dish for now, and I've ordered an 80 cm dish from Sadoun. I'll let you know how that goes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just thought I'd post an update. I finally got the 80 cm dish installed tonight and it works beautifully! I'm picking up lots of stations from Galaxy 19. Now it makes me want to put a motor on my dish or continue working with my original dish so I can pick up other satellites, but that'll come later. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just thought I'd post an update. I finally got the 80 cm dish installed tonight and it works beautifully! I'm picking up lots of stations from Galaxy 19. Now it makes me want to put a motor on my dish or continue working with my original dish so I can pick up other satellites, but that'll come later. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Good to hear that you got it setup and working! :)

hope this helps you - i found sateliite ar app to help alot - as for this dish /lnb - you need a UNIVERSAL hd lnb (ebay 10-30$)
dish aligner app is decent but gotta figure it out (phone angle is lnb angle ). i used a direct au9 with avenger universal hd lnb . satellite ar made a big difference for me .

I admit I don't know the Satellite AR app, though I've used others like Satellite Director. These apps can be helpful. What is an "HD LNB"? And why in North America would you "need" a universal LNB either when using this app or at any time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts