Norsat LNB one polarization only?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Spine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hello all,

I have a NORSAT 6600 or 7000A (two labels??) LNB that has the specifications

IF 11.70 to 12.20
LO 10.750
OF 950-1450

0.5-0.8 noise
gain 60db

I have used it to watch some FTA channels so far, but when I do a blind scan, channels appear twice, for H and V polarizations for the same frequency. looking at lyngsat, it appears I am only picking up H transponders but I am not 100% sure.

The LNB originally came from a DTN setup so they probably only had a requirement for 1 TP so I can see this as a possibility

Does anyone if they are only one polarization.. IF they are, to receive V signals would I have to rotate the LNB an additional 90 degrees?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I do not remember I was getting H or V, but I had this problem once. I had connected LNB to Loop out on receiver and I was getting only one polarity. Check if the LNB is connected to LNB IN connection on the back of the receiver.

You'll likely have to rotate the whole waveguide to get the other polarity. Is there a connection for another LNB on the waveguide?

The WR75 flanged LNBs are single polarity. They use a polarotor or multiple LNBs to achieve H/V.

This pic is a pic of a waveguide I plan on comparing to my QPH-031 on linear Ku stuff. One LNB does H and the other does V. I have a multiswitch left over from my Voom install that will combine the H/V onto a single cable like a 'normal' LNBF.

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with all the terms but I will describe it as best i can.

The LNB might be WR75 (i'll have to look more closely when I get home) but it looks like it from the small pictures I can find on the web. The lnb is about 1.5x1.5x3 inch small rectangle with one coax output on the end. From the flange on it is basically a small tube expanding into a feedhorn with some plastic covering the end. The whole assembly rotates in a collar which is attached to the 3 arms going back to the dish.

I guess I will have to get a new lnb if this is the case.

Thanks for the replies!

EDIT:

Just looked at your link and it appears the small KU lnb on your feedhorn looks very similar to my NORSAT. Also to answer your question from before: NO, there is only the cabability to add 1 lnb to the waveguide/feedhorn.

Last edited:
That certanly sounds like single polarity then. You'll have to rotate the whole waveguide (if possible) to get the other polarity.

Thanks Shawn.

I'll try to get some photos tonight online.

I even went to the NORSAT website and saw some PDFs on the lnb itself but nowhere did it say it was single polarity nor did it say anything about 13/18v switching. I guess i just assumed all lnbs could do H/V polarity switching.

Thanks again,

Mike

Sounds to me like you're getting some of E* stacked channels. Those stacked channels seem to do that. I'm saying this because last week when I tried a scan on Amazonas, I got the E* @ 61.5w, and it did this. What satellite are you on?

Al

Hispasat @ 30W

Pretty sure its the 1-polarity LNB issue.

If you look inside there is just the one probe.

That LNB is the same like you'd put on a C/Ku feedhorn on a BUD.

This LNB should look familiar (the HUGE one is C-band):

Attachments

• feedhorn001.jpg
    feedhorn001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 401
  • feedhorn002.jpg
    feedhorn002.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
These Norsats are single polarity LNBs. Sounds like its on a Channel Master dish, from your description. Just un-bolt the LNB from the C-120 flange and rotate it 90 degrees for the other polarity. See pics...

EDIT: Attachments uploaded... This assembly is currently mounted on my 1 meter Channel Master aimed at G-10R :)

Attachments

• CM_Feed_02.jpg
    CM_Feed_02.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 277
  • CM_Feed_05.jpg
    CM_Feed_05.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 310
  • CM_Feed_08.jpg
    CM_Feed_08.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 275
  • CM_Feed_09.jpg
    CM_Feed_09.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
you could use a co rotor II feedhorn to get both polarities but would have to have a receiver that will operate the servo motor.or use a dual c band and dual ku band feed horn to receive both polarities.:)

Yup, You guys are correct.

I took the LNB off the flange last night and indeed I only saw one probe in there. Because I don't have any other waveguides and don't want to spend too much money on this dish (you are also correct, it is a 1.2M channel master) I just installed my Invacom lnb on the dish (it has a 40mm clamp so it fits nicely).

I've tried to attach (hope they work) an image of the norsat LNB i have plus the waveguide/feedhorn assembly attached to it. I've also attached a pic of my current setup which supports the dish in my garage.

I had to set it up this way because the one side of my house is where I have all my satellites mounted to see from 61W to 148W and unfortunately to see from 12.5W to 61W I need to mount a dish on the front of the house, which the old lady says is unacceptable. So I have temporarily setup the dish at the front of the garage to see what is out there on the atlantic sats and when I am done with it I will probably give the dish away on this forum, and if there are no takers, I'll part it out, failing that it'll be getting cut apart and taken to the dump.

So Far I have been able to tune (with great signal quality), Hispasat @ 30W, mystery sat ( NSS7 or I905 ) and Telstar12 @ 15W. Will try to get T11 and PAS3/6 tonight, and if I get ambitious I will try to shoot for atlantic Bird 1, which is quite low for me (4.5deg elev). BTW I am near Toronto.

Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 326
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)