Norsat PLL vs Regular Norsat Cband LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Has anyone swaped it and noticed a big diference beside the 2x cost.
thanks

I haven't tried the PLL version, but from a practical point of view it is unlikely one would notice a difference in the FTA domain. The most appropriate application for a PLL would be in low SR applications, such as data, where you want to ensure the modem locks to the right carrier because PLLs are far more frequency stable than DROs.

PLLs also tend to do better on higher order modulation schemes, as in 8PSK in DVB-S2. Before anyone gets too excited about solving their DVB-S2 lock problems, I should point out that the benefit of say a Norsat 3000 (PLL) over a Norsat 8000 (DRO) in this regard would be in terms of lower phase noise. For these units the phase noise differences favor the PLLs by less than 10 dB.

To put some perspective into practical terms, I found this study that compared a Norsat Ku-band PLL, with similar phase noise characteristics to the Norsat 8000 C-band DRO, to a unit with 10-20 dB less phase noise. This is a bit of apples and oranges, but with a SR of 5000 the improvement for 8PSK was only 0.3 dB in equivalent CNR and 0.1 dB for a SR of 27500. The difference between a Norsat 3000 and 8000 would be less. The bottom line is you probably won't notice any difference. Now if we ever see 16PSK and above down the road, the PLL LNBs might start looking attractive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)