Not having much luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ACD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I seem to be having a problem getting anything. The signal strength is in the 70's but I cant get any channels. The only one that is coming is is IA8, and thet has only a few channels, only two of which are Video. When I move to other sats I get a decent signal but nothing is scanned. the only one I have found so far that I got stuff on is T5, but I dont speak LAO. :D Shoudlnt I be getting something with a 74% or greater signal?

ACD said:
I seem to be having a problem getting anything. The signal strength is in the 70's but I cant get any channels. Shoudlnt I be getting something with a 74% or greater signal?

Signal means you have the LNB connected to the receiver. What you need is Quality!

When you hit a hot transponder on a bird, your quality scale will scoot up. Only then will you be able to scan it and get channels.

Keep at it.

ok I guess I need to find someother place to place the dish. It looks like it would clear the trees, but I guess it isnt if I cant get a quality signal. Best I have so far is 38% except on one, but when I scan that one I get no channels.

signal strength and quality are dependent on the receiver you are using. % figures seem to change receiver to receiver. I use a satwork 3688 and feel great with anything over 38% on quality and anything over 70 for strength. check you set up are you sure you are on the arc? are angles correct. that is the first place i would look.

Dish angles are correct, the stand is plumb. I tried moving the dish and never got more than 40% on quality. I think it might be the trees, from looking at the dish, it doesnt appear that they would be in the LOS, but they very well could be. I will need to pick up 1000' of coax and move the dish to the far corner of the lot where the tees wont be in the way.

BTW I did get a nice picture from G11, but I dont speak spanish and watching the addams family in spanish just doesnt cut it. I am also starting to figure out all the frequencies and realized that what I am mostly looking for are on C band, between 3000 and 5000.

HA!! I figured out why I was having low quality. Would be nice if instructions were included with the LNB! I had it too close to the dish. Looks like the only issue I have now is Clear LOS, which I can resolve by moving the dish away from the house and mounting it on a pole. Is there a limit to the cable length?

Most say no more than 150 feet, but some people have reported 200 feet. Probably depends on cable quality. RG6 Quad is best I believe.

ACD said:
HA!! I figured out why I was having low quality. Would be nice if instructions were included with the LNB! I had it too close to the dish. Looks like the only issue I have now is Clear LOS, which I can resolve by moving the dish away from the house and mounting it on a pole. Is there a limit to the cable length?

Okay this may sound like stupid question, but how do you get the LNB too close to the dish? The way mine seemed to go on it would only work one way...i couldnt really move it closer or further away by more than say 1/2"

kc5qih said:
Okay this may sound like stupid question, but how do you get the LNB too close to the dish? The way mine seemed to go on it would only work one way...i couldnt really move it closer or further away by more than say 1/2"

The LNB will adjust within the holder of course and some "LNB arms" or whatever the right name is also adjust such as the Winegard 2076. So there is some variation where you put the LNB in relation to the dish. Rule of thumb-far away is better, but not always.

The clamp needs to be as close to the working end of the LNB as posible, I believe that is what sets the correct distance for the dish. I had the clamp against the part where the F connectors are. Made a huge difference, I am getting channels on most birds now. Havent found any that I will watch except for the PBS feeds.

Does anyone know what the $ sign is for in front of a channel? Some I get audio on, others I get nothing.

$ sign means its a scrambled (pay) channel, you won't get anything on those. I usually delete them after a scan.

You'll get tons of them if you scan the E* and BEV birds...

scramble tv

Need help, just locked on to telstar 5 Using SAT3688 unit. Did blind scan,got over 300 TV channels .. Each Channel say Scramble TV...signal is 74% ,quality is 45-60 % .Using 60 cm dish with universal Ku Lnb.

Antenna Configuration: Telstar 5
Universal
Lnb low 9750
Lnb high 10600
transponter (12090)
12 V OFF
Diseqc OFF
Lnb power 13/18

Thanks in advance for any help. :no :no

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)