Not having the MLB Network probably isn't hurting Dish much

gokamoto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
In its first month of being rated by Nielsen, MLB Network is averaging less than 100,000 viewers in prime time, making its viewership more comparable to channels like Logo and Military Channel than to ESPN or Versus.

When the network launched 16 months ago to about 50 million subscribers, it became the most successful channel launch in cable history.

Subs don

Myself, like most other baseball fans, watching live games in prime time. So this report is somewhat worthless.

+1 Like watching ESPN news when there is a real game on, not the time for it. MLB Network is great for late night, more extensive than ESPN's Baseball Tonight. I have really come to enjoy that aspect of the channel and actually before the games the go out to each stadium for a check in during batting practice, actually some good insight there too. So in a nutshell, primetime is not primetime for the MLB Network.

I know with Dish not having EI or MLBNet, this does put them on the bottom of my provider choice. Even though I am a Direct sub, I would normally pick FiOs over Direct. The only reason why I pick my #2 choice is because I cannot take FiOs with me when I travel or go to our other place in Mammoth

If it was not hurting DN and its followers, then why even open this post??

I hate baseball, so once again... Dish is my choice.

Just an FYI, a few weeks back, I got my monthly mailer from Comcast trying to get me to switch. They were offering Extra Innings free with a new 12 month commitment.

I hate baseball, so once again... Dish is my choice.

Just an FYI, a few weeks back, I got my monthly mailer from Comcast trying to get me to switch. They were offering Extra Innings free with a new 12 month commitment.
You chose Dish because you hate baseball? :confused:

I suppose I didn't write what I was thinking. Sometimes maintaining my daughter in my lap makes my posts a little oddball.

I meant...

I am not a fan of any sports programming other than the NBA, which Dish offers to me in full. Because of my lack of interests in other sports, Dish is by far the best provider for me, as they offer more of the HD channels I like, as well as NBA League pass.

If Directv offers my channels soon, they may be my choice, as I like MRV.

My apologies for the one line rambling. I did think the Comcast deal was interesting.

MLB Network

DISH's lack of MLB Network, and their refusal to go to full time RSN's are the only reason I have considered switching to Direct. The superior equipment of DISH tips the scales in their favor. For now.

I like baseball, but the lack of MLB Network and extra innings is really not an issue for me, or in my sales department.

Sure its cost us a few sales around opening day, and we have gotten a few chargebacks over it, but after almost 45 days into the season its pretty much forgotten.

Its the same for the NFL sunday ticket. You get people asking about it from around August 15th till around the middle of September, after that nobody seems to care.

The ones who do insist they want it, we educate them on the price, and then it leaves you with about 10% who want the package and go with Directv.

It could help sales, but after the start of the season for anything, nobody really seems to care

I like baseball, but the lack of MLB Network and extra innings is really not an issue for me, or in my sales department.

Sure its cost us a few sales around opening day, and we have gotten a few chargebacks over it, but after almost 45 days into the season its pretty much forgotten.

Its the same for the NFL sunday ticket. You get people asking about it from around August 15th till around the middle of September, after that nobody seems to care.

The ones who do insist they want it, we educate them on the price, and then it leaves you with about 10% who want the package and go with Directv.

It could help sales, but after the start of the season for anything, nobody really seems to care

I switched to TWC and I have MLB Net and the EI Package is available to me. However that is not the reason I switched. I switched inorder to get MSG-HD (Buffalo Sabres) and YES-HD (Yankees). During my 9 months with TWC I have watched MLB Net probably about 20 times in total; most likely for about of 10 hours in total. If Dish added MSG-HD and YES-HD (which they most likely won't), I would make the call today and switch back.

Are MSG and Yes the only RSN's missing from Dish? If true, seems odd that the only two missing are from NY. Must be Charlie doesn't know how to deal with the NY way of doing business, ie, "Pay Up!" "Um, how much is the Yes Network?" "Um, how much you got?"

I know with Dish not having EI or MLBNet, this does put them on the bottom of my provider choice. Even though I am a Direct sub, I would normally pick FiOs over Direct. The only reason why I pick my #2 choice is because I cannot take FiOs with me when I travel or go to our other place in Mammoth

Just wondering why D* over Fios because you can take Fios with you also if you have a Slingbox/Slingcatcher and or pc. Maybe im missing something D* has i don't know about.
I have Fios and it is a great service but I was thinking of changing to D* because EI on fios has only 3 games in HD at most a day, and with D* i could get almost all if not all EI games in HD so the game i want to watch may not be in HD with Fios.
For now i went with MLBTV Premium and a Roku box and i saved about $80. (could save more now) over the price of EI for TV only with Fios, yes you have to buy the Roku box also but i use it for my movies on Netflix also, and with MLBTV i can go back and see a game i missed anytime or even just go to any inning in a game i want to see, and also i can watch a game on my pc and one on my tv both in HD at the same time. HD on the Roku box is not the best yet but it is good enough.
Anyway sorry for rambling, maybe i'm just looking for a reason to go back to D* because i like there service also when i had it, Thanks

Last edited:
Just wondering why D* over Fios because you can take Fios with you also if you have a Slingbox/Slingcatcher and or pc. Maybe im missing something D* has i don't know about.
I have Fios and it is a great service but I was thinking of changing to D* because EI on fios has only 3 games in HD at most a day, and with D* i could get almost all if not all EI games in HD so the game i want to watch may not be in HD with Fios.
For now i went with MLBTV Premium and a Roku box and i saved about $80. (could save more now) over the price of EI for TV only with Fios, yes you have to buy the Roku box also but i use it for my movies on Netflix also, and with MLBTV i can go back and see a game i missed anytime or even just go to any inning in a game i want to see, and also i can watch a game on my pc and one on my tv both in HD at the same time. HD on the Roku box is not the best yet but it is good enough.
Anyway sorry for rambling, maybe i'm just looking for a reason to go back to D* because i like there service also when i had it, Thanks
In order to use a Sling (or the HAVA box, which is what I have), I need WiFi (which is not available at our place in Mammoth and in most camp grounds), and I would need to leave my home network up and running (something I would never do) and hope there are no service interruptions.

The EI HD is another reason. I do prefer EI on Direct as we get just about every game in HD and both feeds in HD most of the time as well.

In order to use a Sling (or the HAVA box, which is what I have), I need WiFi (which is not available at our place in Mammoth and in most camp grounds), and I would need to leave my home network up and running (something I would never do) and hope there are no service interruptions.

The EI HD is another reason. I do prefer EI on Direct as we get just about every game in HD and both feeds in HD most of the time as well.

I prefer DISH for baseball as I don't have to pay $200 for it, I just move. :angel:
They lack a few games in HD in the early season due to Plus and Plus 2 feeds not shown in HD. DISH 2 FiOS 0 D* 2

I Prefer FiOS for movies, or else DISH. D* lacks here, even with the new adds. DISH 1, FiOS 2, D* 0
I prefer FiOS for MRV, and $6guide/$4 SD box's. DISH 1 FiOS 2 D* 2
DISH has added more HD this year than anyone. DISH 2 FiOS 0 D* 0
I prefer DISH DVR's, actually the 722. DISH 2 FiOS 0 D* 1
D* is too expensive, and has very high ETF's so I have not tried it lately, since 2004. DISH 2 FiOS 1 D* 0

So I am in a quandary...wait DISH actually won this competition... well what do you know! [However, the baseball factor always looms large, so with a TiVo DVR and if they add more movie [HBO/Cinemax] channels, D* could win next year when I am out of contract with FiOS and DISH.]