Not Receiving Signals on certain TP's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
This is happening on more than one satellite. But, for this example, we will stick with Galaxy 19.
I am unable to receive a signal on the following TP :

11842 H 22000 Smart Lifestyle T
11842 H 22000 LLBN English
11842 H 22000 LLBN Arabic
11842 H 22000 LLBN Latino
11842 H 22000 Amazing Discoveri
11842 H 22000 Amazing Facts
11842 H 22000 AON
11842 H 22000 Hope Church Chann
11842 H 22000 HOPE CHANNEL
11842 H 22000 ESPERANZA TV
11842 H 22000 SATAV

When i do a blind scan on G19, i am finding 159 channels. Many appear to be missing. If i manually type in the TP , such as the ones not discovered above I get no signal quality. But, for the TP's i can pull in, i am getting a strong signal. Example, Ebru TV 12084/V/22000 I have a signal intensity of 90% and signal quality of 70%.

G28 which is the top of the ARC for me I cannot get BYU tv...

I have a 1 meter dish with Invacom QPH-031 LNB and a SKYBOX F5 receiver.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks
iBoston

Hmm, I am curious if maybe the dish is out of alignment. I am receiving G19 TP 11842 Horizontal @ 90% signal and 76% Signal Quality. I am also getting channels on that TP. I bet something moved on you. Have you put a meter on your dish? Just curious.

Hmm, I am curious if maybe the dish is out of alignment. I am receiving G19 TP 11842 Horizontal @ 90% signal and 76% Signal Quality. I am also getting channels on that TP. I bet something moved on you. Have you put a meter on your dish? Just curious.

What would you suggest as a meter? I used the SatLink 8906 to set it up. I tuned it to get the best signal quality. Is there a better tool to do that?

Hi and welcome!:welcomeIf this is happening on more that one satellite it's possible that your dish may need a little tweaking - it may be very close but not perfectly on the arc. I know for me that if i bump the dish a tick or two east or west on Galaxy 19 the channels you mention start to pixelate while the others stay strong (also happens during heavy rain). You should have well over 200 channels scanning in on Galaxy 19. If not, I would check your dish for proper alignment. Make sure to mark your starting positions before adjusting anything so you can return there it if it doesn't help. Good luck!:)

Reactions: iBoston
I am not sure about that meter. I am new to FTA myself. I just purchased a new Sathero meter. I got the SH600-HD meter, but I hear that the SH200 is a really good meter as well. So far I like the sathero meter. A Super Buddy is probably the best of you have deep pockets. I would start by checking your mounting hardware, and your pole. Make sure it is plumb. I am willing to bet the dish is just outside of the arc in alignment.

Hi and welcome!:welcomeIf this is happening on more that one satellite it's possible that your dish may need a little tweaking - it may be very close but not perfectly on the arc. I know for me that if i bump the dish a tick or two east or west on Galaxy 19 the channels you mention start to pixelate while the others stay strong (also happens during heavy rain). You should have well over 200 channels scanning in on Galaxy 19. If not, I would check your dish for proper alignment. Make sure to mark your starting positions before adjusting anything so you can return there it if it doesn't help. Good luck!:)

Yea, i scan and am only pulling in 159 channels.

Welcome to the forum iBoston! Unlike other places, you only have to post your problem once here -- as people get off work or get time to sign on, you'll get the help you need. People read this board every day hehehe :)

Okay, new problem. Any tweaking advice? Top of Arc for me is Galaxy 28. I am having problems receiving East of SES2 and West of SES1. I did successfully once get AMC6, but at the moment i have lost it. I have never gotten anything west of SES1. I feel like i am spot on, as if i nudge the dish up/down, i get less signal, and left/right less signal. I did this on G28. I'm not sure where to go now. It's amazing how much time you can burn on this.

Ps. Have 1 meter dish.

Go ahead and use the orbital positions, as the satellite names can change as companies buy them out :) So, the farthest east you can receive is 87W and the farthest west is 101W, right? You don't have a motor yet ... you're using a stationary dish and just manually adjusting it, is that right? :)

Go ahead and use the orbital positions, as the satellite names can change as companies buy them out :) So, the farthest east you can receive is 87W and the farthest west is 101W, right? You don't have a motor yet ... you're using a stationary dish and just manually adjusting it, is that right? :)

No, I have a motor, and yes you are correct on the positions.

I know there is a thread somewhere on here that describes this better, but for now, check out the bottom of this page: http://www.repentnow.com/FTAMOTORINSTALL.htm or at http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html

You are slightly off the arc (this is where motorized installations are most annoying). If your latitude is set correctly and everything is 100% plumb: the motor mount and the pole (double check this), then
1. The motor assembly is too far east or west (azimuth)
2. The up/down tilt of the dish where it attaches to the motor shaft is off (declination)
3. Both.

I'll try to attach an image from the second site and you'll see how you'll have to experiment with the dish then imagine in your mind what is happening to see what the alignment issue is. I imagine it is the dish's tilt that needs to be moved ever so slightly up or down (declination). The best way to deal with this is to bring your meter or TV+receiver out to the dish. Try moving the dish to say, 113W and manually enter the strong 12080 H 25635 transponder (BVN, and several other Chinese stations are ITC). Push the dish slightly (and slowly) at the top or bottom with one hand, up or down. When you see the station, that'll give you an indication of which direction the dish needs to be adjusted (up or down).

adjarcsr.jpg

I have come to the conclusion my declination is off a bit based off the chart. I need some suggestions. How the heck do you make minor adjustments to declination. You loosen that screw, and ill tell you there no making minor adjustments. It wants to jump up/down. It was 90 degrees outside. I was not about to work outside under the sun today. I am salivating in thought over actually being able to get this in sync.

Is the post PERFECTLY plumb? Is the feedhorn perfectly centered and aimed at the center of the reflector? If not, your angles and measurements won't match calculations that we provide.

If the angles aren't set at the top of the arc, then the dish won't track the arc to the horizon.

Attachments

• modpolanglesr.gif
    modpolanglesr.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts