* Note - Do Not Call For Mpeg4 UNTIL FEB 1ST*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry, it was probably a bad metaphor..... The XBox360 metaphor is probably better...... They hyped the games but then couldn't provide enough hardware to satisfy demand (and ticked off a ton of potential customers in teh process). How many MIGHT have made th switch but are now so angry for the botched launch that they have said they'll just wait for the PS3 (granted, their launch will probably not go any smoother).

An important note while I am on the topic. Sony sold more PS2s after Thanksgiving than Microsoft sold XBox 360s. When you are trying to knock off #1, you need to have a huge supply of equipment ready to roll or you will forever be relegated to also ran status. As far as I am aware, E* has not added more subscribers in a quarter since before Rupert took over. They need to be overachieving right now, and angering boatloads of subscribers with untruths is not the way to go.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Once again Dish Network has announced things on a chat without informing their CSR's. I am being told the phones are ringing off the hook and the CSR's know NOTHING about what was said on the chat.

Please wait until next Monday to call in.

You will feel much better iif you wait. :)
I called in also and found the CSR's seem to have a lot less info than we do, that's for sure!. I asked about the availibility of the VIP222 which is what I would be interested in. As Scott has said the vip 222's may not be avail till June! They know nothing about it. I suggest any of us that want a 222 push them to give us a 221 until the 222's are available (if its going to be that long) and swap them then. Meanwhile I have a nice brand new OPTOMA H-79 waiting for an HD signal!
Rob
Monument, CO...city in the clouds

If you dont want to wait until March or later for a vip622 your only option is to buy it for 649.00 including shipping and then you will have it early in Feb.

Jeff

jeffincolo said:
If you dont want to wait until March or later for a vip622 your only option is to buy it for 649.00 including shipping and then you will have it early in Feb.
Jeff

where did you get this info?

Yes, the pre-orders are $649.00 but I think I'll wait til 4/1 so I can get it for $99.00 ($299-200 rebate).

The 1 Receiver per year is the deal killer. I'll just have to keep my 522 for another year(if it lasts) or split the TV2 out of the 622 to 2 other rooms.

I'll just have to live without the extra Voom channels for 60+ days. Woe is me! :(

Hmm... How many pre orders do you think they have taken compared to the amount of 622's they are going to get? I think it is a matter of which line you want to wait in....

I fired off an e-mail asking about the upgrade offers to ceo@dishnetwork.com, but that was over two days ago and I've not heard anything back. Should I send it to a different address? I figure the "ceoofdishnetwork" address from the Fair Satellite site was only for the Lifetime fracas.
rdinkel said:
I would bet a $649 line is shorter than a $99 line!!
I've already stood in that "short" line (bought the 942 last year instead of waiting for that lease deal for current subs). And I'd still be needing a ViP211 for the bedroom.

Last edited:
Foxbat said:
I fired off an e-mail asking about the upgrade offers to ceo@dishnetwork.com, but that was over two days ago and I've not heard anything back. Should I send it to a different address? I figure the "ceoofdishnetwork" address from the Fair Satellite site was only for the Lifetime fracas.I've already stood in that "short" line (bought the 942 last year instead of waiting for that lease deal for current subs). And I'd still be needing a ViP211 for the bedroom.

I sent an email yesterday to the ceo@dishnetwork.com address asking them if they want my money now to become an HD subscriber or wait until Feb 1st. I actually got a response in about an hour. They suggested that if I want the 622, just wait until Feb 1. I was surprised how quick I got a response, since I couldn't get a response from customer care, and I got the wrong information from a CSR. I guess I'll just have to wait to become a Dish HD customer. Patience is not one of my virtures.

Well, from the sound of it, my plan is going to work.

Current: 921, 501, DP34+(2)DP21s

April: 622, 921, 501, DPP44 for $99 after rebate.

If reports come in saying n SD receiver has to be traded, no problem. I've got 3xx boxes around here.

If reports say I MUST give them my OWNED 921, that's a different story entirely!

As has already been mentioned, the 921 will see good use as a BIG SD DVR, and if we ever get digital OTA out here (unlikely), then the OTA tuner will get use.

Why keep the 501? Well, it gets me the DPP44 doesn't it? ;)

In September when I wanted to lease a 921 (?!?), I was forced to purchase at $549 as they would not offer a lease on either the 921 or 942. How is it that some people get the OPTION to lease while others don't? I had even brought up the concern that these receivers would not be MPEG4 compatible and I didn't want to be out of several hundred dollars on obsolete equipment. I was assured by their "customer retention department" that "these receivers were still being manufactured and would not be made obsolete as MPEG4 is a long time away".

I feel I have really been given the shaft and have no intention to give Dish any more money than I have to.

Some people are good beggers I guess. Others just have high bills w/ E* and are long standing customers so its in their intrest to take care of some of these subs.

Also as much as it sucks technically the 921 is no obsolete. You still can get all the channels you get now, so technically its not unuseable in any way. I know it sucks and I would feel the same as you do, but this will be their spin on things.

kokomogator said:
...I had even brought up the concern that these receivers would not be MPEG4 compatible and I didn't want to be out of several hundred dollars on obsolete equipment. I was assured by their "customer retention department" that "these receivers were still being manufactured and would not be made obsolete as MPEG4 is a long time away"....
Well, you should have believed us instead of the ignorant CSRs.

mdonnelly said:
Well, you should have believed us instead of the ignorant CSRs.
Wish I had found your forum sooner......unfortunately, I was posting to another forum and got some bogus information that advised me to go for it.
Oh well, live and learn. One thing I have definitely learned is to NEVER believe the Dish CSR's unless you hear it from 3 different ones! Every one I speak to has a different story every time. How can they be #1 in Customer Service? It's beyond me!:mad:
Anyway, I will wait on the upgrading thing and see what experiences others have first. I know I can still use my equipment but wonder (as others have remarked) if you can really trade any receiver as I have a 508 dvr that I also paid for that I would be willing to trade for the 622.
Thanks everyone for your great information and feedback.....it has been a very educational experience :)

kokomogator said:
One thing I have definitely learned is to NEVER believe the Dish CSR's unless you hear it from 3 different ones!

Not even that is safe. I spoke to FOUR different CSRs who unanimously affirmed that the 942 was software upgradable to MPeg4. If you want the real deal on what Dish is doing come to these forums. :)

I called last week about the 622, and the CSR didn't know anything about it. When I called today, the CSR I talked to said the 622 would be available on 2-1 and to call back then. I'm going to talk to my local retailer today, and see if he ahs any info.

ripnbigc said:
I called last week about the 622, and the CSR didn't know anything about it. When I called today, the CSR I talked to said the 622 would be available on 2-1 and to call back then. I'm going to talk to my local retailer today, and see if he ahs any info.

I'm not criticising here, but i wondered why you are calling today ? Is there something that you hoping they will know ?

I was going to follow the guidance on this thread and waiting till Feb 1, but i wondered if you know something we don't ? :confused:
Thanks

gbjbany said:
I'm not criticising here, but i wondered why you are calling today ? Is there something that you hoping they will know ?

I was going to follow the guidance on this thread and waiting till Feb 1, but i wondered if you know something we don't ? :confused:
Thanks
I'm just one of those people that can't wait for anything. My local retailer didn't have any info either. You'd think the receivers would be available before the new channels went on line. But oh well. I've given up until Feb 1. Doubt I'll be abel to get thru on the phone since they're likely to be swamped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts