* Note - Do Not Call For Mpeg4 UNTIL FEB 1ST*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott,

I called Tuesday 1/10 at 3:45 p.m. EST and it seems that they got something out to their CSR's in a hurry. She was aware of the HD plans but said they weren't taking orders yet on the Vip622. That the channels were scheduled to launch 2/1 and that although the Vip622 wasn't due out until March, they were going to try to push them out the door sooner to try to get them to the customers as close to the launch of the new channels as possible. She then asked if I'd like to add my e-mail address to be contacted as soon as more information was available.

Also, as an owner of a 942, I didn't get the impression that I was required to swap out my receiver. What are your thoughts? I wouldn't mind having to send it back as long as I'm not charged $5/month for leasing and that I retain ownership of the new Vip622.

goaliebob99 said:
Guys To keep things neat Im merging threads together that are on the same topic :) Please keep things to one thread. :)

Thanks...... Now we can't follow the converstation cause the two are mixed together...

BobMurdoch said:
Mpeg4 is going to be farther off. They will be transmitting these in Mpeg2 but labelling them Mpeg4 so only the new boxes will see them.
Someone just got "smart" and figured out a way to spearhead the upgrade cycle while giving them time to work out the encoding kinks and stop losing anymore HD ground to D* as they roll out more HD LIL markets.

Your right but someone asked why a 942 owner has a right to be upset when they should have know Mpeg4 was happening.

I received the following e-mail minutes after speaking with a CSR...

Cont_2.gif

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Adam Okula,

Thank you for your interest in the next-generation HD DVR receiver from DISH Network. We are excited about the great features this receiver has to offer, the new HD programming that will be launching soon and the additional HD channels we are planning throughout the coming year.

Stay tuned for future e-mail updates!

Thanks for your continued support.
The DISH Network Family!
[/FONT]

volfan615 said:
Maybe you missed the chat where Charlie stated that Mpeg4 was going to be further off and that Turbo 8psk (or what ever it is) was going to be the solution for the near term. He stated that there just wasn't that much gain right now with MPEG4. If I remember correctly that was only a couple of months ago.

I even remember reading about recent software downloads to current HD receivers to make it handle Turbo 8psk.

Does anyone know what the added fees are going to be? Like now I have 2 811's and a 522. 1 811 is covered under DHA, and I pay 5.00 each for the other 2 receivers, plus the DVR Fee. Is this going to stay the same if I go to the DishHD Silver or Gold (stil trying to make up my mind)?

stone phillips420 said:
LEASES JUST SUCK IMHO
While I respect your position, and tend to agree in general, customers who chose to lease from Dish Network certainly appear to be getting to best deal in this instance.

Maybe this is one case where a lease doesn't "suck," and a better alternative may be to return your purchased 942 (still within the 30-day period) and opting for a lease.

Easy for me to say as a happy leaser. :)

who_the said:
While I respect your position, and tend to agree in general, customers who chose to lease from Dish Network certainly appear to be getting to best deal in this instance.
Maybe this is one case where a lease doesn't "suck," and a better alternative may be to return your purchased 942 (still within the 30-day period) and opting for a lease.
Easy for me to say as a happy leaser. :)

Another happy leaser here. BTW original owner of 6000 ($699 :rolleyes: in Jan 2001)

The way Dish has the leasing setup, it does seem to be a fair plan (especially when a leased receiver costs $.01 more than the extra receiver fee).

The hard part is to transition from owner to leasee. As much as I hate to pay $299 to lease a product, I understand this must be done to keep the lease fee even across the board. The $299 up front makes you feel like you should be owning a piece of the receiver!

At least with owning a receiver, you could sell it to make a little money back. However, with the way Dish has limited new HD subs to only MPEG 4 receivers after Feb., the value of selling is gone.

As much as I hate it, I guess I will be forking over the $299 to upgrade my 811 to 622. Maybe if I disconnect my 811 and sell it before the end of the month I can make a little to offset the initial $299. Hope the 622 will be available in a month!

Some CSRs still didn't get the memo, one I talked to today was still singing the "942 will get the MPEG 4" song.

Can't wait to see how this will play out with me going live Jan 20th with a 942 set up.

I am leasing an 811 and my commitment is up in April. Will they make me wait until then or might they let me upgrade early?

Seeing this whole thing coming last year is the reason I leased the 811 instead of buying it! :D

I called yesterday afternoon and spoke to a person in the technical support department. She promplty set me up for a 211 for 49.95, with a an extra $25. credit f I send them my 6000 back, but told me there was no requirement to send it back. I already have a Dish 1000 so I don't need installation. According to her I should have the new 211 in 7 to 10 days. I hope this helps since it appears that at lest some of them know what is going on.

I have just updated the title of this thread as I have just received an email from Marc Lumpkin telling me consumers should not be calling in to upgrade to MPEG4 until Febrauary 1st or later.

Seems like they should have mentioned this on the chat instead of making it sound like this offer (and channels) were available now.

THE CSR'S STILL HAVE NO INFO ON THIS UPGRADE!

Purogamer said:
Worst slogan ever...Worse than my tv sucks...

BTW, why do you guys want to own your boxes so bad? It's not like you've got bigger HDD's in them or spongebob stickers on them or anything...What's the big reason for not wanting to have to send it back?

For the same reason we like to own our cars and houses.

No committment!!!!!! You can do as you want, when you want and do not have to continue for 18 to 24 months.

And you can buy new units anytime, not just once per year.

Does the $99 professional install include some of us subs who are a long way from any normal E* installers? Such as us in Canada...LOL

Been a legitimate sub here since 1999...never seen a single installer!!!

That's kind of unfair to be adding new channels on 2/1 but not upgrading until 2/1 as well. I'd like to have my equipment in my home on 2/1 so I can see the channels when they get turned on

BFG said:
That's kind of unfair to be adding new channels on 2/1 but not upgrading until 2/1 as well. I'd like to have my equipment in my home on 2/1 so I can see the channels when they get turned on

This is my feeling as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)