Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just posted to the Yahoo group by wilt about the upcoming software update.

The new code push will fix the problems with it.
At the moment that looks to be out to all in the next 10 to 14 days.
I'll keep you all posted if that changes dramatically.
Wilt

And for those who have no idea what "it" is, he was referring to the CC problems. I'm sure it will fix other stuff also.

-MP

And even more details...

Same update, just being careful with dates. May still start next week.
I'll let you all know, and how to get it to take.
The short answer is that we won't nail all at once, for the first week or so, and then at some point all will get it regardless of box state--on/off/standby/etc.
It's the update we've all discussed here for a while, better tuning--and it is; native mode, as I recall; cc fix, planner; strange; unwanted pop ups; digital audio improvement; better metering--in that statistics screen; and likely a bunch of lower level stuff I'm forgetting.
Wilt

rollerfink said:
I seriously hope it makes channel changes much much quicker. My wife has been calling Voom "that ghetto satellite."

yours too eh? Yeah my wife :rolleyes: when switching channels. I really hope it does too. My biggest problem with Voom though is the sd channels, they just look horrible! And many of them suffer from those damn *sparklies*! If this weren't the case I could do some downgrading on my other providers packages, and watch SD content on VOOM, but unfortunatly I just can't stand the pq on them. So basically I just have all the HD channels set to favorites, and just look at those.

The SD channels look pretty good to me -- better than on Comcast. I do get the occasional tear or sparklie on red or white colors on E! and a couple of other stations but not bad.

I've dropped Comcast so now Voom is all we have. My wife has given me a couple of weeks to get it all right.

rollerfink said:
The SD channels look pretty good to me -- better than on Comcast. I do get the occasional tear or sparklie on red or white colors on E! and a couple of other stations but not bad.

I've dropped Comcast so now Voom is all we have. My wife has given me a couple of weeks to get it all right.

You're lucky if you only see these damn sparklies on just the reds. I see them all the time on everything, it's just not white looking unless it's in the red. I still see dark colored sparklies on many of the channels. And the ones that don't have them, are just ugly compared to Directv's SD. Other than that, the HD is awesome!

What about a transparent guide... at the current state it is impossible to stop it from burning in. I was told by a CSR that if I have th guide off 20 mins out of every hour it won't burn in... but I know that to be totally untrue. It needs to have several levels of transparency, and the option to remove the directions for Fav, HD etc... everytime. It's a waste of space telling me how to use the receiver every time I want to change a channel.

As long as you don't leave the guide up for significant lengths of time, it should be a non-issue. Just what are you doing that requires you to keep the guide on the screen for prolonged periods?

So long as your television is properly calibrated (read: appropriate contrast levels), it shouldn't matter whether the guide is transparent or not for typical guide usage.

I also did not like the SD picture quality on Voom until I switched the STB to do native to my 34 XBR910 now I think the SD is better than D*!

Maybe its my TV but this may work for you.

See ya!

Chezbrgr2 said:
I think the SD is better than D*!

wow! Are you serious? I've tried everything with the VOOM box, and still the sd content is terrible! Directv looks so much better. My wife even made a comment while I was trying to watch Spiketv. She asked what had ahppened to the tv. I then showed A/B switched between D*'s Spike, and Voom's. We then went thru *all* the SD channels and Voom, and A/B switched with D*'s feed, and not one SD channel on Voom looked nearly as good! I really wish their SD was on par with D*, so that way I wouldn't have to go back and forth so much between the 2, just to check out the SD programming. :rolleyes:

Jay,

What light/mode (of the 5 available options) to you leave your box on?
Auto,1080i,720p,480p,480i

Gr8Reb8 said:
Jay,

What light/mode (of the 5 available options) to you leave your box on?
Auto,1080i,720p,480p,480i

Same as I do with D* 1080i (I leave it there, because my tv will down convert a 720P signal to 480P btw), But I've tried switching to native, and 480p/i, and it still doesn't look any better. D* just looks so much better for SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)