Now getting c band on my 1.2 meter dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamestheman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas,Texas
I got my new bsc 621 combo lnb today. Well I noticed right off the bat I couldnt get the arms to mount onto the feedhorn. I have a 1.2 meter channelmaster with the three support arms.

I ended up taking 10 tiewraps and just wrapping the thing to get it supported, and brother it is sturdy!

I used my little satfinder meter and within 5 minutes was hearing that beep that I love to hear! I actually figured I would get in and be hitting a low signal on ku and nothing on c band! I didnt even get to get it perfectly setup yet.

Well I scanned ku and was getting 40-50 pct on galaxy 25, not bad, I know I am lined up, just a matter of a few adjustments.

Well for the hell of it I set up my c band settings. I am using a pansat 2500, which didnt have any c band stored on the installation screen, so I edited a few frequencies on there just to see my level.

Well again for the hell of it I pulled a blind scan, and could you believe it! I hit 14 tps off 99 galaxy 16!! My levels on three tps are up to 78pct! and several others in the 60s! And I dont even have this setup well yet!

I had no idea I could do this with a 4 foot dish! I am blown away!

I am going to go and hook up my old analog receiver and see if any old feeds are still going!

Wow! I cant believe it!

I will send some tomorrow! I actually hooked up an old toshiba analog I had and picked up tp 17 buena vista, however it was a little fuzzy.

One thing I noticed is that the ku and c are not on the same satellite, maybe it is just the way I have it rigged right now.

iceberg, what do you recommend for the mounting the feedhorn? I have a fixed type 1.2 with the three arms on it. do I need to drill holes in the feed or is there a mount you recommend? I have not heard of anyone having problems attaching the feedhorn to their support arms.

I am just happy I got c band. I always heard no way on a 6 foot dish, then on a 5, now we are getting it on a 4 and I heard you said you got it on a primestar!

I guess after I get this thing all figured out I will have to try my next step, putting a motor on this baby, it is very heavy. alot heavier than a primestar, but it is worth a shot!

I am just happy I got c band. I always heard no way on a 6 foot dish, then on a 5, now we are getting it on a 4 and I heard you said you got it on a primestar!

I've got 2 6 footers and they work great. Get probably 98% of the stuff up there

you are the man! Did you have any problems attaching the feed to your dishes? I could get a 6 right now from a guy who is selling me like 18 more dishes all 4 foot and bigger, it is just that we are renting the place here and i dont know if they would like that, Our next house will be out in the country and already have a 12 footer on it!! I bet this lnb would work wonders on a 12 footer!:D:D

thanks for the support man!:cool:

the 6 footers are prime focus so they attached with the 3 arms. I remember on the Primestar that took a rigging job to get it to stay and the elevation was off buy 3 or 4 degrees

yeah mine is too, i will get it going good tomorrow. I know the primestars are a favorite of mine because where I live you can get one anytime, there must be 100 just in my neighborhood! Our house was the only one without one up. they are easy to get ahold of, i even seen some of the rare circular primestars too.

I tried to motorize a primestar by putting the mount on backwards, however i couldnt getit going too well, didnt really put alot of time in it though,

There is a bracket designed by a long-time member, CadData.
It might be adaptable to those 1.2m offset dishes for mounting the flat scalar.
You could get started that way.
I don't have the link handy, but here are pictures of 'em as built by PopCornNmore.
I fabricated some myself, and they work great.
If it is attractive, I'm sure you can find CadData's original drawings.

The guys looking for the best performance do tend to move on to conical scalars.
They match the F/D of the offset dishes better.
I think the brackets would still do the job, bolted to the stepped scalar.
Or,,,, maybe use the flat scalar to hold the LNBF, and then slip the conical scalar on the dish-side of the LNBF...?

For encouragement, you might scroll through a thread by Linuxman, where he put a C-band LNBF on a 1.0 meter Primestar dish.
Down near the end, he listed the satellites and transponders he was able to receive.

EDIT: I thought this all sounded a little too familiar.
I was about to point you to the pictures by jTuttle of his 1.2m on C-band, but I see it's in another thread of yours!

Last edited:
MY PICS OF MY 4 FOOT MINI BUD WITH THE BSC 621

HEY ICEBERG, HERE ARE MY PICS THAT I TOOK OF MY TEMPORARY ATTACHED BSC621, DONT LAUGH, IT IS JUST A TEMP FIX, I AM LOOKING INTO GETTING A BRACKET FOR THIS TO WORK BETTER.

HERE ARE MY PICS, IT WAS A BIT DARK, DIDNT GET HOME TIL LATE

Attachments

• 100_4922.JPG
    100_4922.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 516
  • 100_4923.JPG
    100_4923.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_4924.JPG
    100_4924.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 100_4927.JPG
    100_4927.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_4925.JPG
    100_4925.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 100_4921.JPG
    100_4921.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 543
  • 100_4933.JPG
    100_4933.JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_4934.JPG
    100_4934.JPG
    727.3 KB · Views: 323
yeah, i know! lol! I am just playing with it right now, hit satmex 6 at a high of 85 pct quality on the c band, though I know no spanish! I have just the satfinder so I didnt know what I was hitting, thought maybe I was hitting 123,

thanks iceberg

I tried dow, but couldnt find any info for non dealers. Do you think the geosat pro c band clamp would work? It looks like it to me.

I tried dow, but couldnt find any info for non dealers. Do you think the geosat pro c band clamp would work? It looks like it to me.

I have the same dish and the lnb and I also have a geosat pro C band clamp. It will work I know it will but I can not figur it out yet. It is 2" higher than the lnb that came on my dish. so I am working on it. Did you just spread the arms and tie-wrap the scalar ring to it . I did not think it would work so I did not try that. I know I should think........ Looks real good keep up the good work

Yeah I actually tightened the arms really tight and tie wrapped them to the ring, that way there was no give in them. I tried like hell with the bolts to bolt the arms to the ring, but that wasnt going to happen! It is getting decent quality already, ranging from the 40's to high 80's on c band and hitting 50's and 60's on ku, so I can only imagine what it will hit when setup correctly, the focal point is off too and still hitting okay numbers.

I am very surprised in the c band numbers, I used to think there was no way to get c band on a minus 6 foot dish.:)

Good work, James :up

My last attempt at C band on a recycled superdish project last August, wasn't good. I got a few frozen bips of KCSG on G19. I tuned KU first and peaked the dish alignment. I haven't given up yet...:)

find the focal point:

dem0nlord's answer above is the best idea for mounting:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...ing-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish.html#post1710506

My answer above is at least good:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...ing-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish.html#post1709459

But to get your elevation correct (the LNBF at the proper height), here's a plan.
Was the elevation correct with the previous Ku LNB?
If so, that means your pole was plumb, etc.
So, set the elevation for a known bird, preferably close to your true south.
Move the C-band LNBF up and down 'till you peak the signal.
That will get the C-band LNBF located properly.
I'll take it on faith you can get the darned thing located horizontally without help. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)