Now here is a read...

I upgraded to HD on dish to get voom. Without it why should I stay on dish (love sci-fi). Why would anyone criticize what others enjoy to watch. It doesn't always have to be about you only.

From a retailer stand point, if it means getting rid of Voom to get some REAL HD channels that everyone is familier with then I say lets get rid of Voom.

I can persoanally say that I have had a subscription to the Voom channels ever since they where on their own satellite service, and during these past 3-4 years I have probably watched the Voom channels less than 3 hours in total during that time.

At the same time, the Voom channels do not help sell the DISH Network service! Channels like USA, SCi-FI and Discovery channel do!

Goes back the same old question? Why E* over D*? As a retailer, what sells DN service. Is it HD locals, SD channels, price or exclusive content? For me, it was the HD content. Voom is something that others can not offer and the superstations. What is keeping subs excited about DN service?

Eventually, D* and E* will have all the same channels. And I know when that happens, being currently with E*, I will want to have more...and I will still want Voom.

So I don't want to give them up now for a few channel additions that we are going to get anyways with patience. So I may not watch Voom much lately, but I still want them.

Voom channels also the only reason I stayed with Dish as I get every other channel and more on Direct. Once everything evens out these channels would be the only ones that set D and E apart.

I would hate to lose Rave and Gameplay.

That said, I hope they consolidate the channels into less than 15.

4 or five would be plenty

1) Sports (Worlsport + Rush)

2) Movies (Filmfest + Monsters + Whatever)

3) Nature/Educational ( Equator + gallery + Treasue)

4) Smorgasboard (Gameplay + Ultra + HD News + Rave)

5) Family (Animania + Family Room)

Sounds like Charlie has a strong case. I did not have Voom when it was separate service. Did they have 40 channels in true HD? Is there a list of the channels somewhere?

Voom's HD picture very good but there content is lacking, too many repeats. If Voom would combine a few channels such as Monster/KungFu, Equator/Gallery, Family Room/Film, Rave/Rush then there would be fewer repeats. Dish would get four much needed HD channels.

With less repeats I would think Voom would be stronger. Charlie could pay the original fees based on content rather than raw number of channels. Dish woulds also benefit as they would gain space for channels with a broader appeal maybe FX,MGM,CMT,Bravo, Smithsonian,Toon and more Preimum Movie channels.

I have Cablevision HD. Dish and DirecTv beat have more channels but Cablevision includes HD at no charge. Their DVR a Science Atlanta 8300HD is terrible add costs $9.95 a month.

I also have a ExpressVu 6100 HD box (non DVR). They carry most Voom Channels, A&E, HD Network, Discover and several sports channels in HD. They also have the Canadian Networks East & West. They also have East (Boston) and West (Seattle) U.S. networks for $2.00. Something not availble to Dish or DirecTv subs.

Sad to say, but most of the general public would be content with watching SD as long as the channel banner said HD. That said, I would like to see them bring on the mainstream content, even if it is only part-time HD.

The transition to HD is a lot like the transition from black & white TV to color. Even with a new color set, most shows were still black & white. More and more shows started being offered in color, and then eventually everything was in color. So I want to see more mainstream channels added for this reason. Voom could probably be sold as a Blu-Ray collection for those people who really want to continue to see it. Either that, or ExStreamHD could pick it up.

Yeah, but other then premium movie channels, most of those so-called HD channels have little to no HD right now. At least, inspite of lots of repeats, Voom is all HD all the time. I would be sad to see it go.

I still shake my head at all of the energy I put in to being frustrated by not having Sci Fi HD, and then when I get it... other then BSG, not much HD at all.. :(

I second that. People are bitching about not getting more national hd, but there is no hd on those channels right now anyway. Ya bitch cause there is no hd channel now, but when you do get it you'll bitch because they never show any hd. I personally like monstershd and gameplayhd very much.

If Voom goes boom so does Dish. Why else would people choose E* over D*? Broken promises??? I think you people underestimate the amount of subscribers that left D* for E* because of Voom.

From a retailer stand point, if it means getting rid of Voom to get some REAL HD channels that everyone is familier with then I say lets get rid of Voom.

I can persoanally say that I have had a subscription to the Voom channels ever since they where on their own satellite service, and during these past 3-4 years I have probably watched the Voom channels less than 3 hours in total during that time.

At the same time, the Voom channels do not help sell the DISH Network service! Channels like USA, SCi-FI and Discovery channel do!

I highly doubt that. People get excited when they see the unique channels that Voom offers. Monstershd alone is enough for some people to choose E* over D*. I am not impressed with channels like SCI-FI/TBS. Very little hd and constant commercials.

Last edited:
I actually think voom is hurting dish more than what any of you realize. Voom has been showing nothing but repeats for a while now. They obviously haven't been putting money twards programming as their library shows it. Now if they were to get rid of them, dish has the space to add 12 additional HD channels that gives them the room to compete with D* and possibly gain the HD leader status back until D* fires back. Who wants to watch repeats? Voom maybe able to still market monsters HD, and sell its rave programming to MHD, which they do already. Now, dish could potentally settle down the Voom crowd by adding Chiller HD. I think we all agree that monsters HD is the only channel on Voom that is really worth while.

Well, I guess you underestimated the Strong Voom support around here.;)

I hope they pull the trigger. I used to watch Voom when I first had Dish, but since I added them back in late March I have not even had Voom listed in my fav's.

I think E* has a good case, also. E* had an audit conducted to verify that Voom met its content spending obligation. Evidently, the auditors showed that Voom was not putting the agreed to amount into programing. Voom argues they met the spending limit when you include their overhead costs. That is bogus, IMHO. What Voom is essentially saying is they met their obligation by paying their executives "X" amount and this counts on their spending obligation. Not exactly the same thing as spending the agreed to amount on content!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts