NSS806 Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweepy1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Apex NC
Please forgive me in advance if this seem like a stupid question but after careful reading I am ready to start my new FTA hobby. I am planning on the PanSat3500, but anyway heres my question

My wife is Colombian and I was poking around and see that all the Colombian channels are on a bird called NSS806. I believe this is a C band and am wondering if there i anyway I can get it from a 30in dish? Or Does anyone knowof other birds that carry Colombian Channels?

It would more than likely get C band for you. However, it isn't easy to motorize. Custom fab would be the only way to do it. I believe the Berg has one of these. If you want to go Ku only, a 76cm or 90cm would do fine for your location in NC. These are easily motorized.

Check to make sure the channels you are looking for are not on a spot beam too. No sense trying to get something that you can't.:)

It will work fine with your 3500 if you decide to get it. You'll need a C band feedhorn and lnb or an LNB/Feedhorn combo (LNBF) like the ASC421.

The 180cm would be fine if you don't plan on moving it around a lot.

Most responders are forgetting the original question posted.
NSS-806 was wanted.
That is not going to work with a 6 foot dish.
Nor will it work with a linear C-band LNBF.
It does not work well with a dielectric plate type feedhorn, at least until you consider something at least 10 feet in diameter.
Smaller (8 foot) antennas can probably find acceptable reception through use of a true circular feedhorn, such as the CP-300 or CPOR-100 (2 output) feeds from ADL. Not inexpensive, but necessary if one wants a reliable system.

"Most responders are forgetting the original question posted.
NSS-806 was wanted.
That is not going to work with a 6 foot dish.
Nor will it work with a linear C-band LNBF."

No?

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 201
  • cmb.jpg
    cmb.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 161
  • colombella.jpg
    colombella.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 156
  • humor.jpg
    humor.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 189
  • telesur.jpg
    telesur.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 162
  • tv1,1.jpg
    tv1,1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 154
  • tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 168
Yes they are stable Iceberg.
I have had great performance from the 6 foot Sadoun dish with the ASC421 lnbf, dielectric plate inserted for the circular sat of course.
But, I am on the east coast, that helps for those sats.

I'm impressed! I do have a working system here using a 10-foot Orbitron SST-10 and ADL CPOR-100, and it spoils me with most NSS-806 quality readings in the mid 70s or higher (on a Traxis DBS-3500).

I tried using a C-band LNBF with dielectric plate and a 10-foot SAMI antenna in Atlanta a few days ago, and found it extremely marginal, with many channels unable to maintain a solid lock. Taking the dielectric plate out, no problems on neighboring 37.5, 43.0, 45 or 55.5 West. Using a dielectric plate for circular C-band is very critical, because there is a very small window in which it works acceptably, and obviously you have found that spot.

Based upon previous experiences of others, as well as my own personal experience, I would not have attempted it on anything less than an 8 foot antenna, so my congratulations on your success.

Mike

I have a 6.0 ft Winegard mash dish on NSS 806 .

A C-Band feed horne with a dielectric plate and it works good.

Last edited:
Mike, you are correct, the 6 foot dish is not perfect for c-band, a 8-10 foot dish would be much better.
It does however give someone a choice when space or price is an issue.
I hope the OP found some of the channels he was looking for in the small group I posted.

the 6 foot dish is not perfect for c-band, a 8-10 foot dish would be much better.
It does however give someone a choice when space or price is an issue.

totally agree on this! I'd love to put up a 10 foot dish but due to obvious reasons (cant put it in the ground, HOA) the 6 footer works good for what I want it for

I am also VERY happy with the results with my 6' dish, its as big as I want to go for now!

NSS 806 is such a sweet Bird for the Latin America stuff, now for those with a motorized setup, does the dialectric plate cause problems with other birds using linear polarity .

Anyone getting great results for linear and circular polarity without making adjustments?

The dielectric plate has to be out for linear sats. I normaly leave it out, most of my use is PAS9 and I805.

Stats8 said:
The dielectric plate has to be out for linear sats. I normaly leave it out, most of my use is PAS9 and I805.

I don't know about a handmade/user added plate, but on my Chaparral international feedhorn which has the built in dielectric plate, I notice no noticable difference in linear reception compared to the reception I get on another system with a standard linear only Chaparral feedhorn. I have heard similar results from the owners of ADL type international feeds in which Mike spoke of.

As Mike stated earlier feedhorn/plate allignment is critical when receiving circular C band signals.

NSS806 is actually a fairly strong circular bird. Other Circular C band birds in that neighborhood are sometimes threshold at best on 10ft dish. Anything smaller would be a no go on many of those signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts