NSS806 Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweepy1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Apex NC
Please forgive me in advance if this seem like a stupid question but after careful reading I am ready to start my new FTA hobby. I am planning on the PanSat3500, but anyway heres my question

My wife is Colombian and I was poking around and see that all the Colombian channels are on a bird called NSS806. I believe this is a C band and am wondering if there i anyway I can get it from a 30in dish? Or Does anyone knowof other birds that carry Colombian Channels?

It would more than likely get C band for you. However, it isn't easy to motorize. Custom fab would be the only way to do it. I believe the Berg has one of these. If you want to go Ku only, a 76cm or 90cm would do fine for your location in NC. These are easily motorized.

Check to make sure the channels you are looking for are not on a spot beam too. No sense trying to get something that you can't.:)

It will work fine with your 3500 if you decide to get it. You'll need a C band feedhorn and lnb or an LNB/Feedhorn combo (LNBF) like the ASC421.

The 180cm would be fine if you don't plan on moving it around a lot.

Most responders are forgetting the original question posted.
NSS-806 was wanted.
That is not going to work with a 6 foot dish.
Nor will it work with a linear C-band LNBF.
It does not work well with a dielectric plate type feedhorn, at least until you consider something at least 10 feet in diameter.
Smaller (8 foot) antennas can probably find acceptable reception through use of a true circular feedhorn, such as the CP-300 or CPOR-100 (2 output) feeds from ADL. Not inexpensive, but necessary if one wants a reliable system.

"Most responders are forgetting the original question posted.
NSS-806 was wanted.
That is not going to work with a 6 foot dish.
Nor will it work with a linear C-band LNBF."

No?

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 201
  • cmb.jpg
    cmb.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 161
  • colombella.jpg
    colombella.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 155
  • humor.jpg
    humor.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 189
  • telesur.jpg
    telesur.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 162
  • tv1,1.jpg
    tv1,1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 153
  • tv1.jpg
    tv1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 168
Yes they are stable Iceberg.
I have had great performance from the 6 foot Sadoun dish with the ASC421 lnbf, dielectric plate inserted for the circular sat of course.
But, I am on the east coast, that helps for those sats.

I'm impressed! I do have a working system here using a 10-foot Orbitron SST-10 and ADL CPOR-100, and it spoils me with most NSS-806 quality readings in the mid 70s or higher (on a Traxis DBS-3500).

I tried using a C-band LNBF with dielectric plate and a 10-foot SAMI antenna in Atlanta a few days ago, and found it extremely marginal, with many channels unable to maintain a solid lock. Taking the dielectric plate out, no problems on neighboring 37.5, 43.0, 45 or 55.5 West. Using a dielectric plate for circular C-band is very critical, because there is a very small window in which it works acceptably, and obviously you have found that spot.

Based upon previous experiences of others, as well as my own personal experience, I would not have attempted it on anything less than an 8 foot antenna, so my congratulations on your success.

Mike

I have a 6.0 ft Winegard mash dish on NSS 806 .

A C-Band feed horne with a dielectric plate and it works good.

Last edited:
Mike, you are correct, the 6 foot dish is not perfect for c-band, a 8-10 foot dish would be much better.
It does however give someone a choice when space or price is an issue.
I hope the OP found some of the channels he was looking for in the small group I posted.

the 6 foot dish is not perfect for c-band, a 8-10 foot dish would be much better.
It does however give someone a choice when space or price is an issue.

totally agree on this! I'd love to put up a 10 foot dish but due to obvious reasons (cant put it in the ground, HOA) the 6 footer works good for what I want it for

I am also VERY happy with the results with my 6' dish, its as big as I want to go for now!

NSS 806 is such a sweet Bird for the Latin America stuff, now for those with a motorized setup, does the dialectric plate cause problems with other birds using linear polarity .

Anyone getting great results for linear and circular polarity without making adjustments?

The dielectric plate has to be out for linear sats. I normaly leave it out, most of my use is PAS9 and I805.

Stats8 said:
The dielectric plate has to be out for linear sats. I normaly leave it out, most of my use is PAS9 and I805.

I don't know about a handmade/user added plate, but on my Chaparral international feedhorn which has the built in dielectric plate, I notice no noticable difference in linear reception compared to the reception I get on another system with a standard linear only Chaparral feedhorn. I have heard similar results from the owners of ADL type international feeds in which Mike spoke of.

As Mike stated earlier feedhorn/plate allignment is critical when receiving circular C band signals.

NSS806 is actually a fairly strong circular bird. Other Circular C band birds in that neighborhood are sometimes threshold at best on 10ft dish. Anything smaller would be a no go on many of those signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts