odd situation where 2nd sat cable is always bad but individually they're ok?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

saltlaker23

Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Utah
I have a DTV HDVR2 Tivo receiver hooked up to DirecTV, valid account and all that but I have the weirdest problem... if I run 1 cable from the LNB to either sat 1 or sat 2, it works fine. But if I run 2 cables, the sat 2 line is intermittent and doesn't work. I can swap cables 1 and 2 as single cables and they work fine, but when I put both in the DVR, the sat 2 signal gives me problems. I even tried this with a second HDVR2 receiver and the same thing happened. Anyone know what the problem is? I don't have a grounding block on the cables - they're going straight from the sat dish to the DVR. I can't figure out what's wrong.

I would say it sounds like a receiver problem if you can swap the cables and the problem remains on tuner two, however you say that you have tried two seperate receivers. Its possible both are bad i suppose. Depends how old they are, I would put in a service call and have guided mode run on the lines using an aim meter.

Are you actually having trouble where tuner 2 is not working, or are you just seeing an error on Sat 2 when you run a test ?

But I have the same problem with two different receivers. I thought it might be the receiver but what are the odds that it's both? Plus, if I switch the cables and just put one on sat 2 on any receiver, it works.

The problem I have is if both sat 1 and sat 2 are plugged into the receiver, sat 2 is intermittent with its signal... on the sat test I can see it go from 90+ to 0 then to 90+ again. when watching tv, it will freeze or get pixelated... but I can take the sat 2 cable and plug it into sat 1 and it's fine, the sat 1 or 2 cables if only one is plugged in work fine.. only when 2 plugged in is there a problem.

But I have the same problem with two different receivers. I thought it might be the receiver but what are the odds that it's both? Plus, if I switch the cables and just put one on sat 2 on any receiver, it works.

The problem I have is if both sat 1 and sat 2 are plugged into the receiver, sat 2 is intermittent with its signal... on the sat test I can see it go from 90+ to 0 then to 90+ again. when watching tv, it will freeze or get pixelated... but I can take the sat 2 cable and plug it into sat 1 and it's fine, the sat 1 or 2 cables if only one is plugged in work fine.. only when 2 plugged in is there a problem.

Don't know if this will fix anything, but it's worth a try ...
Connect both feeds and run a Repeat Sat Set Up, make sure when your going thru the process that the settings show Dual is set, vs 1 line in the settings where the Multi switch stuff is ...
I can't remember the exact terminology and I can't run mine to find it at the moment as I'm watching my football game.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts