Off-Air Tuner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys...I'm looking to buy an AM21 Off-Air Tuner, I can get it on E-bay for $70, but D* will sell me one on their site for $50. My only fear is that if I buy it from either...will I need to re-commit to a new contract?

I've purchased four of them from the DirecTV web site and none have resulted in a change in my commitment date.

Thanks for the response, my guess is that since you've purchased 4 than that would mean that it is a pretty good antenna?

Fairly close to the broadcasters antenna farm and have an amp on the line.

Depending on your status as a past customer it might even be worth your while to call & see about a better deal; it never hurts to ask when you throw in the "I'm losing my locals every time it rains heavy or snows". ;)

Why would you need to extend your contract to add a AM21? You have to buy your own antenna, they don't supply it, and the channels it'll pick up are free.

Why would you need to extend your contract to add a AM21? You have to buy your own antenna, they don't supply it, and the channels it'll pick up are free.

I can see why the OP would be concerned. DirecTV has a history of incorrectly adding contract extensions.

I can see why the OP would be concerned. DirecTV has a history of incorrectly adding contract extensions.

I don't. Its a one time $50 fee to buy it. You don't rent it like a DVR. Its more like buying a digital converter box to watch OTA stations on your old analog TV. If they rope you into something they shouldn't it sounds like a BBB issue.

I bought one and it was $53 dollars shipped via FedEx from Directv :) Works great and now I can get all of my OTA and use the guide/dvr features :)

Along the lines of this thread, how does the AM21 work? I've searched and can't find a simple answer. Do I need an additional exterior antenna or do I just plug it in and connect it to my HR-21 and go from there? I'm missing out on some decent programming on some of my local sub-channels (high school football, etc) and am wondering if the extra $50 for this additional piece of equipment would allow me to get those channels without a lot of extra add-ons.

You need to connect an OTA antenna to the AM21. The AM21 then uses a USB connection to the HD receiver and also has a power passthrough so you don't need an extra outlet for the AM21.

Along the lines of this thread, how does the AM21 work? I've searched and can't find a simple answer. Do I need an additional exterior antenna or do I just plug it in and connect it to my HR-21 and go from there? I'm missing out on some decent programming on some of my local sub-channels (high school football, etc) and am wondering if the extra $50 for this additional piece of equipment would allow me to get those channels without a lot of extra add-ons.

you need an external antenna, it doesn't receive the channels via satellite since subchannels aren't on satellite. Also a thing I like about mine is it allows you to watch channels from a 2nd market, the one I live in and the one adjacent to mine. Well worth the 50 bucks IMO just made sure you got a high quality antenna.

Am I getting the off the air/digital channels through Direct TV or through the antenna where I live?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts