OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

I read an article somewhere, talking about cost pressures. It went something like this...

Half of a customers bill goes to paying for programming. Programmers are asking for 10 percent increases, on average. Meanwhile, the distributors are raising rates about 8 percent.

So...

$80 monthly bill translates to $40 to programmers. Programmers in total want another $4. Distributors raise rates $6.40, thus making $2.40 on price increase, and that is way more than any increase that they pay any specific programmer.

I read an article somewhere, talking about cost pressures. It went something like this...

Half of a customers bill goes to paying for programming. Programmers are asking for 10 percent increases, on average. Meanwhile, the distributors are raising rates about 8 percent.

So...

$80 monthly bill translates to $40 to programmers. Programmers in total want another $4. Distributors raise rates $6.40, thus making $2.40 on price increase, and that is way more than any increase that they pay any specific programmer.

I've read this before in a number of places. However, it is concerning when Fox asks for 4x to 5x price increases (in their Cablevision negotiations), since that will definitely impact consumers significantly...and I don't see how a cable or satellite system could increase prices 5x.

For 2 local channels in NY, Fox wants Cablevision to go from paying $8.6 million/year to $34 million/year! They want Fox Business channel to go from $3.7 million/year to $18.4 million/year and want 5x or so increases for National Geographic Wild and Fox Deportes:

Analyst Says Fox-Cablevision Battle Factored into Stocks - 2010-10-13 15:06:14 | Broadcasting & Cable

Fox should be ashamed of themselves, for demanding a rate increase during a recession. I was on one of there sites the other day where they have letters from angry Dish customers, siding with Fox. I could not find anywhere to post an opinion. Which leads me to wonder, whether they made up some of those up. Or paid some one to write them.

The problem with Dish is, they are still charging for what they are no longer delivering and charging platinum subs for channels that they are now giving away.

Fox should be ashamed of themselves, for demanding a rate increase during a recession. I was on one of there sites the other day where they have letters from angry Dish customers, siding with Fox. I could not find anywhere to post an opinion. Which leads me to wonder, whether they made up some of those up. Or paid some one to write them.

The problem with Dish is, they are still charging for what they are no longer delivering and charging platinum subs for channels that they are now giving away.

Dish also increased rates during the recession.

You guys obviously don't get OTA. Most people do.

I have an issue with that statement

Example:
I live in a fringe area, 99% of the ppl around here have satellite, the only local OTA channels you can get without a good antenna on a 30ft pole are ABC and FOX, the tower for these 2 channels is 40+ miles away.
BUT the FOX station went from UHF to VHF after the digital transition, and is broadcasting at a lower power than the ABC UHF station.
You still need some kind of outside combo UHF/VHF antenna to get both channels, but its been a hassle for ppl who have tried to get the FOX station. I can see a lot of the ppl around here switching to D* if this is not resolved and they lose the Houston FOX station after NOV 1st.

What I'm saying is that a lot of ppl don't want to go to the hassle of putting up an antenna, etc. I did it because I'm a geek. :)

Last edited:
It looks like Fox is asking for HUGE price increases from Cablevision also.

WNWY and WWOR: Now $8.6 million/year, Fox wants $34 million/year
Fox Business channel: $3.7 million/year, Fox wants $18.4 million/year
National Geographic Wild: $2.9 million/year, Fox wants $14.7 million/year
Fox Deportes: $500k/year, Fox wants $2.3 million/year

Analyst Says Fox-Cablevision Battle Factored into Stocks - 2010-10-13 15:06:14 | Broadcasting & Cable

This sure sheds some new light on the FOX/DISH dispute. Cablevision is relatively small with just over 3 million subscribers (source: Top 25 Multichannel Video Programming Distributors as of Jun. 2010 - NCTA.com).

So FOX is asking them for $11/year or nearly $1/month just for FOX. What's really astounding is they want about $.50 for Fox Business news! Last I checked that was a very low rated channel. All told those 4 channels add up to nearly $2/month per subscriber. And thats Nat Geo Wild which commands less than Nat Geo, and doesn't include FX, Fox Movies, Fox News, or the FSN's. I bet all told they'll want $10/month for all their channels. Thats insane.

BS... Are you saying Dish is not a profitable company? $6 dollar fee for DVR service is fair? What about Dish putting the local channels in HD on another satellite and want to charge the consumer $95 dollars to move the consumer's dish to the eastern arc?......

Well they changed me to the eastern arch and did not charge me anything but I did sign a 2 year agreement.

I negotiated with Dish; I threatened to go to DTV and they moved me to the Eastern Arc FREE and NO COMMITMENT. I had to talk to 3 different CSR and none would budge on the $95 fee. I finally talked to a lady who did this for me. I am a 10 year, Great paying Dish customer. MANY have to pay the fee and many other "fees".

Dish has "dirty hands" in this industry as ALL DO. This crap about Fox and Recession is well dumb to say.... as a reason to give Dish a pass during the Recession.

Some need to stop trying to "DUMB DOWN" others and get ready to pay more or switch providers come Nov. 1.

For those of you threatning to leave DISH. What is wrong with you? Is TV your only thing in life. If DISH just caved in and raised their rates, you'd be complaining about that also. FOX Sports has no interest in what you pay each month. They've got you hooked on sports like drugs. DISH Network is not the villan here, they are trying to do whats in best interest of all their customers. At the pace rate hikes are going up each year, you'll be paying $100 for a basic package just a few years down the road, if no one does anything.

I negotiated with Dish; I threatened to go to DTV and they moved me to the Eastern Arc FREE and NO COMMITMENT. I had to talk to 3 different CSR and none would budge on the $95 fee. I finally talked to a lady who did this for me. I am a 10 year, Great paying Dish customer. MANY have to pay the fee and many other "fees".

Dish has "dirty hands" in this industry as ALL DO. This crap about Fox and Recession is well dumb to say.... as a reason to give Dish a pass during the Recession.

Some need to stop trying to "DUMB DOWN" others and get ready to pay more or switch providers come Nov. 1.

So Eastern Arc has these channels?

I hope DirecTv is stocking up on equipment. Because come Nov 1 when people start losing their local fox affiliates, they are going to switch. They are not going to care about the details of any dispute. Dish is going to lose in the end if they keep this dumb sh*t up.

I agree...the sports fans (like me) are ticked about not getting their RSN but maybe we are in the minority. Losing your local FOX station and not having the ability to get it OTA that's when it will hit the fan for DISH consumers.

Since they are not asking for a rate increase, but to only be included in AT120, your rate should not go up.

The only ones that should see a rate increase would be the AT120 customers. And ironically, they haven't lost these channels. Kinda funny, huh?

Any increases will be spread out to all subs, not just the 120's.

I hope DirecTv is stocking up on equipment. Because come Nov 1 when people start losing their local fox affiliates, they are going to switch. They are not going to care about the details of any dispute. Dish is going to lose in the end if they keep this dumb sh*t up.

bingo. same can be said for just about any industry.

for those thinking of leaving ... what do you think will happen when the contract for your new provider/distributor and the program owners expires? Someone has to draw the line somewhere .
If you are not happy with Dish then by all means unsubscribe, and good luck with whomever you choose, but lookout , the same thing will happen to you sooner or later if someone doesn't protest on behalf of us subscribers.
GO CHARLIE GO !!!

Dish made $1B last year, $635 million after taxes. So, with 14 million subs it is $71.43/sub before taxes a year or $5.95/month/sub.

As much as Dish charges and raises prices, they are not really making a killing off your bill. If you cut out all profit you Dish bill would go down less than $6/month.

This year Dish is running ahead this year over last year. So far (just 2 quarters reported) profit could be $7/month.

Hi guys,
New here but thought I would chime in.

Today I have spent a LOT of time looking over the Directv offerings and I admit that I am seriously considering making the switch.

This is honestly NOT because I am siding with Fox, nor is it because I am unhappy with Dish. It is simply a choice based on possibly losing my local Fox programming, and having lost my FSMW programming.

Personally I think that both sides are at fault. I feel that Fox is trying to maximize their profit margin while Dish is doing the same. I also feel that neither one of them care enough about the customers who are being hurt over this dispute.

By looking at my personal situation I could save some money, both in the short term and in the long term, by making a move to Directv. My only issue is that I'm very familiar with Dish, (have been with them for the last 12+ years), but am NOT familiar with Directv.
This gives me pause since I will be signing into a two year agreement that I don't have with Dish.

Anyway, like others have said, if I lose my local Fox I will have to make the switch.
My family watches a lot of Fox programming and they've already said we need to make plans in case this does happen.
Unfortunately, OTA is not an option for me without a large up front cost since I live about 90 miles from the nearest transmitter.

Anyway, I just thought I would say what's been on my mind concerning this issue. I really just hope that Dish and Fox comes to terms before things get so far out of hand that I have no choice but to switch.

Explain to me for i must be stupid. Name a show that Fox has that's worth watching. the only that my local Fox show has that i'll watch are reurns of Seinfeld and I can see that either on TBS or from my dvd collection of all the seasons. The only other time I have is on is the morning news while getting dressed for work. I can certainly find another station to fill those needs.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)