OFFICIAL DISH / FOX ORDEAL DISCUSSION THREAD

I posted this in another thread, but thought it belongs here... Isn't Dish required by law to carry all major networks in local markets? I understand pulling NATGEO, and FX and the rest, but the local FOX networks? I didn't think they were allowed to do that..

I posted this in another thread, but thought it belongs here... Isn't Dish required by law to carry all major networks in local markets? I understand pulling NATGEO, and FX and the rest, but the local FOX networks? I didn't think they were allowed to do that..
Only if the station requests must carry instead of retrans. fees.

I spent about $350 to get a solid OTA setup installed. In Atlanta, I was kind of shocked that there are over 40 channels picked up OTA. Now many aren't worth watching, but still. The uncompressed OTA looks better with few artifacts then the Dish feed plus there are 2 PBS stations here. The OTA of the American Experience episode on The Doors was jaw dropping. When you DVR something, its about 3 times the space of a sat program. I really bought the OTA because I have a laptop that has a digital tuner so in case we lose power for an extended period of time we can see what is going on in the world. This kind of crap is just another reason to get an OTA setup. And I think Murdock may be the anti-Christ so I am not surprised at all about his greed.
Agree on picture quality being better OTA. Its much better knowing your picture isnt going to disappear because of a stray sunspot too. lot of markets had the good sense to co locate their towers as well, much easier knowing theres only one direction to worry about.

They only have to carry all the (full power) stations that elect must carry. The big 4 never make that selection. If they make that selection they have to provide their signal to Dish for free. The big 4 select the option to work out a deal. If a deal is not worked out, Dish is not under any obligation to carry the station.

Dish/DIRECTV have a deal allowing a phase in of must carry over a couple more years to cover satellite launches, so Dish does not have to do all the secondary stations yet (which is why stations like CW/PBS are missing in a lot of HD markets).

Agree on picture quality being better OTA. Its much better knowing your picture isnt going to disappear because of a stray sunspot too. lot of markets had the good sense to co locate their towers as well, much easier knowing theres only one direction to worry about.

Jonesy,

Sunspots do not interrupt satellite signals. Mass Solar ejections (eruptions of huge amounts of Charged plasma) can cause disturbances to the Earths Magnetic field, which can cause satellite problems, and Electrical grid interruptions.

A Huge Mass Solar ejection could take down the entire Electrical grid.

Clouds and Rain can scatter Microwave signals this is what causes 99 percent of signal loss.

Solar Conjunctions will cause the loss of satellite signals and these occur in the Spring and Fall every year when the suns apparent elevation in the sky crosses the path between your Dish and the satellite in space. The suns radiation obliterates the much weaker satellite signal for roughly 2-3 minutes per conjunction. This affects every receiving Dish on the Earth every spring and fall, whether you are program originator, a cable company harvesting that signal, or a home satellite user.

John

Jonesy,

Sunspots do not interrupt satellite signals. Mass Solar ejections (eruptions of huge amounts of Charged plasma) can cause disturbances to the Earths Magnetic field, which can cause satellite problems, and Electrical grid interruptions.

A Huge Mass Solar ejection could take down the entire Electrical grid.

Clouds and Rain can scatter Microwave signals this is what causes 99 percent of signal loss.

Solar Conjunctions will cause the loss of satellite signals and these occur in the Spring and Fall every year when the suns apparent elevation in the sky crosses the path between your Dish and the satellite in space. The suns radiation obliterates the much weaker satellite signal for roughly 2-3 minutes per conjunction. This affects every receiving Dish on the Earth every spring and fall, whether you are program originator, a cable company harvesting that signal, or a home satellite user.

John
Thanks for that, was simply pointing out that OTA signals are less prone to that sort of thing. And I do watch science programs enough to know what a cme is. So while the the ota signal may not be affected im sure wherever they get programming from may be, yes I get it.

OTA is fine and all if you can get it.. where I'm at you were lucky to get regular stations with rabbit ears bouncing off mountains. So unless you put a antenna up 150+feet you may as well forget it.

It looks like Fox is asking for HUGE price increases from Cablevision also.

WNWY and WWOR: Now $8.6 million/year

What's sad about that is they are asking that much for two channels that we can get without any subscription. It's like me holding out a juice or soda in my hand that I made and saying drink, it's free, but if you take that same handfull of juice or soda and offer it to someone else, I tell you that you need pay me rights to do so. How can WFXT in Boston or WNYW or WWOR in New York or any other station have a price for cable or sat providers when the viewer can watch for free, just isn't right.

All this and a Bag of Chips...

I'm starting to look at this a little different way.
Yesterday, my wife & I were grocery shopping (Yeah!). We were at Wal-Mart. As we were going down the snack aisle, my wife wanted to get some chips...we like Lays, but Frito-Lay has decided that a bag of these chips are now worth $2.89 a bag. This is the same size bag we bought a few weeks ago for $1.79. I told my wife No Dice, sorry, we're not paying that price for chips.
OK, now this is where I get on topic "my way".
Who should I blame for this? Wal-Mart is selling the chips for what Frito-Lay is charging them, plus I'm sure a little mark up, so is Wal-mart to blame? Or am I to think that with in a few weeks Frito-Lays cost suddenly increase dramatically so they have to pass this on? Funny, I haven't heard of a potato shortage, a salt shortage, or a frying oil shortage... So why does my wife have to go with out chips now?
Now, one of the other stores (Kroger) had Lays for $2.69, but this was only a sale price with their "special card". On Sunday the price will go back to Kroger's regular price of $3.29. Should I have just bought from Kroger?
I didn't. I told my wife until Frito-Lay reduces the price of Lays back down to a reasonable price again, we will do without their chips.
I think you all can substitute Wal-Mart, Frito-Lay, & Kroger for names more related to our topic.:)

Ghpr13:)
BTW: I'm more of a popcorn guy anyway!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Isn't Dish required by law to carry all major networks in local markets?
There are more than a few markets where Dish doesn't carry all of the major networks.

As for "must carry" rules, I wasn't aware it applied to satellite. I thought it only applied to the cablecos.

I'm starting to look at this a little different way.
Yesterday, my wife & I were grocery shopping (Yeah!). We were at Wal-Mart. As we were going down the snack aisle, my wife wanted to get some chips...we like Lays, but Frito-Lay has decided that a bag of these chips are now worth $2.89 a bag. This is the same size bag we bought a few weeks ago for $1.79. I told my wife No Dice, sorry, we're not paying that price for chips.
OK, now this is where I get on topic "my way".
Who should I blame for this? Wal-Mart is selling the chips for what Frito-Lay is charging them, plus I'm sure a little mark up, so is Wal-mart to blame? Or am I to think that with in a few weeks Frito-Lays cost suddenly increase dramatically so they have to pass this on? Funny, I haven't heard of a potato shortage, a salt shortage, or a frying oil shortage... So why does my wife have to go with out chips now?
Now, one of the other stores (Kroger) had Lays for $2.69, but this was only a sale price with their "special card". On Sunday the price will go back to Kroger's regular price of $3.29. Should I have just bought from Kroger?
I didn't. I told my wife until Frito-Lay reduces the price of Lays back down to a reasonable price again, we will do without their chips.
I think you all can substitute Wal-Mart, Frito-Lay, & Kroger for names more related to our topic.:)

Ghpr13:)
BTW: I'm more of a popcorn guy anyway!
biggrin.gif

Dude, you won't spend $3 to buy your wife chips? That's harsh. Most of us don't really get to make decisions like that on behalf of our wives. I do not have snack-purchase veto power like you do. :) I guess we know who wears the pants in your family! :D

Because you won't buy them.
No, it's because he's trying to help ALL of us ! He's refusing to accept and support this unprecedented 40% price increase. He's fighting Frito-Lay FOR ALL OF US ! By him not buying them, Frito-Lay will go back to their previous, lower price. ;)

I spent about $350 to get a solid OTA setup installed. In Atlanta, I was kind of shocked that there are over 40 channels picked up OTA. Now many aren't worth watching, but still. The uncompressed OTA looks better with few artifacts then the Dish feed plus there are 2 PBS stations here. The OTA of the American Experience episode on The Doors was jaw dropping. When you DVR something, its about 3 times the space of a sat program. I really bought the OTA because I have a laptop that has a digital tuner so in case we lose power for an extended period of time we can see what is going on in the world. This kind of crap is just another reason to get an OTA setup.

Also, this kind of #r@p is why locals should be optional again.

No, it's because he's trying to help ALL of us ! He's refusing to accept and support this unprecedented 40% price increase. He's fighting Frito-Lay FOR ALL OF US ! By him not buying them, Frito-Lay will go back to their previous, lower price. ;)
Not a good comparison because any grocery item price is flexible from week to week. Is Lay's offering a lower price for that week to promote their name or is Wal-Mart lowering the price for a week and using the chips as a lose leader to get you into the store. Both good marketing ploys and used all the rime from Best Buy, Sears, Kroger etc. Doesn't work that way with companies like Dish and FOX.

Cablevision is a New York metropolitan area system which translates to “high profile”. There already have been many calls for the feds to step in as arbitrators which FOX doesn’t want because they say the presence of an arbitrator would weaken their bargaining position. However, if the FOX channels disappear from the Cablevision lineup the calls for an arbitrator will become deafening and the feds will step in.
I think this is important because if the feds do step in they will probably have to do the same for the FOX/Dish dispute.

So FOX wants FSN to be in Top 120 package. IF dish agrees to this then DISH will have to increase $5 on Top 120 package and it will be $44.99 from $39.99. I think couple years ago they had same problem with FOX News. It used to be in Top 200 but now its in Top 120 package. I understand if FOX wants FOX news to be in basic package so They have more viewers and its a news channel but Why FSN in basic package? Directv has FSN in sports pack which is $12/month so why they want DISH to put it in Top 120 package. I think comcast and AT&T uverse has them in their higher package. I don't care if local FOX station went away because all their shows are available on FOX.com for free anyways so its not a problem for me. I download lot of Showtime & HBO shows and watch it free anyways. I only want FSN to be back and I don't care for any other channel as you can find everything online for free. If I have a choice I would only keep sports package on my account and cancel every other channel.

LOL...I know what your point was.;);)

So FOX wants FSN to be in Top 120 package. IF dish agrees to this then DISH will have to increase $5 on Top 120 package and it will be $44.99 from $39.99. I think couple years ago they had same problem with FOX News. It used to be in Top 200 but now its in Top 120 package. I understand if FOX wants FOX news to be in basic package so They have more viewers and its a news channel but Why FSN in basic package? Directv has FSN in sports pack which is $12/month so why they want DISH to put it in Top 120 package. I think comcast and AT&T uverse has them in their higher package. I don't care if local FOX station went away because all their shows are available on FOX.com for free anyways so its not a problem for me. I download lot of Showtime & HBO shows and watch it free anyways. I only want FSN to be back and I don't care for any other channel as you can find everything online for free. If I have a choice I would only keep sports package on my account and cancel every other channel.

Directv has FSN in their basic "Choice" package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)